An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

franciscanheart

I am probably the person on phatmass who disagreed with Benedict the most. I should therefore be rejoicing that we will have a new Pope. I'm not. I love the Church first and foremost. I know the Holy Spirit will guide us through this. If Benedict's decision is based on only what he has thus far said, it's a cop out. If something else is behind it, that will come out eventually. For now though, I am going on his words alone.

This is the most disrespectful post I've seen at phatmass in a long time. Congratulations on that.

Pope Paul VI was a great and holy man. He did his best to lead the Church, and yes, he did it even to the very end of his life. While he was on his deathbed, he asked his accountant (A Priest) to stay with him and pray for his soul. He was frightened that he would abandon Christ at the end like Peter did. Eventually, they decided on doing a Rosary, and his accountant said it would be for his soul, but the Pope told him no, that they had already prayed for him, and that now they would pray for the good and well-being of the Church after he was gone. Let's remember his example and pray for the Pope, that he does not abandon Christ at the end like Peter did, and then pray for the Church and for its new successor. This is an exciting time to be Catholic, and so much good is going to abound in our time. Let's not mope around because not everything goes the way we think it should. One thing I have learned while being on this site is that adults are more experienced and know what they are doing. Seeing as how Pope Benedict is older than all of us (And seeing as how he is our Holy Father), we should trust his judgment. He has only ever strived to do what is best for the Church. He wouldn't abandon it now.

No, he is not the one Dante put in hell. His successor (Who put him to death after he resigned) was the one Dante put in hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Celestine_V#Legacy

Just to clarify... Dante didn't have the power to put anyone in hell. Just saying.

In The Inferno.  

Anyway,

Pope Hasan would never leave you.  

Edited by Hasan

MissScripture

Right now, I am feeling more confused than anything. Not a confusion of thought, but of feelings and emotion.

There is a part of me that drew much strength from Blessed John Paul II as his body deteriorated while in his Petrine Office. He was a witness of the santity, sacredness, and dignity of the human person (regardless of race, class, creed, injury, defect, age, or anything). To put it colloquially (and without disrespect) he was like a living Rocky Balboa. We all have the ability to be inspirations to others simply by picking up our cross(es) and putting one foot in front of the other.

It is this part of me that is humbly upset at this recent turn of events. I feel let down. I feel given up on. I feel maybe when the going gets too tough, you fold up shop. I fail to see the learned example of this act.

And then...

One realizes how many times I've said "I". And there is a pause.

While making plans for my mom to live here, and her most probable new lifestyle she will have: no driving, no living on her own, we had a conversation. My mom is a strong, driven, never-say-quit type of woman...basically take me and add 3 parts stubbornness, 8 parts sarcasm, and the determination of the intensity of a thousand suns. I remember saying to her that sometimes it takes a special kind of strength to allow others to help you. A special strength to be led, rather than to lead.

A part of me sees this with Papa. Other than my blood family, who other than he would I give the benefit of the doubt to? What if there is something else to this? What if this, what if that? I am not him. If he is my Papa and I trust him in all his other decisions, why not this one too? really... why not?

With all this confusion of heart, I pray. I seek to understand. I hope for healing...his and ours.

Best post so far! :like:

MIKolbe, loved your post, I think it captured things perfectly.

From Dr. Scott Hahn:

Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.

Few people, however, noticed at the time.

Only now, we may be gaining a better understanding of what it meant. These actions were probably more than pious acts. More likely, they were profound and symbolic gestures of a very personal nature, which conveyed a message that a Pope can hardly deliver any other way.

In the year 1294, this man (Fr. Pietro Angelerio), known by all as a devout and holy priest, was elected Pope, somewhat against his will, shortly before his 80th birthday (Ratzinger was 78 when he was elected Pope in 2005). Just five months later, after issuing a formal decree allowing popes to resign (or abdicate, like other rulers), Pope Celestine V exercised that right. And now Pope Benedict XVI has chosen to follow in the footsteps of this venerable model.

That is an amazing set of events that reveals just the true depth of his struggle with this decision and how long he's considered it.

I truly cannot believe the ridiculous attitude of some people. This thread just makes me sad. I came to PM just after Papa Benedict was elected, and I joined because it was a safe place to like him, and trust the Holy Spirit knew what it was doing. I would really be disapppinted if we do not continue to have that trust.

Amen.  I wish I could prop this.

My theory is that B16 resigned to spend more time at his secret llama farm preparing for the alpacalypse.

This humor post is amazing.  Now I must go tell the Holy Father that his secret is out.

What a big day for the Catholic Church! How surprised I was watching CBN- The 700 Club this morning when I heard of the news! Papa Ben, please continue to pray for us as we will continue to pray for you. May God guide the College of Cardinals when making their decision for a new Pope! Wow!Wow! And more Wow!

Thank God I'm not the only Protestant who sees the usefulness of the Papacy. <3

DiscerningCatholic

My dad says Cardinal John Sicola should be the next Pope. He'll be Popesicola. 

In all seriousness though, I'm sad that he's resigning. He's awe.some, but I also get that he's getting old. 

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

Thank God I'm not the only Protestant who sees the usefulness of the Papacy. <3

ahhh but you are not a Protestant. :p (I only Just read your name inunionwithrome)

PhuturePriest

Something from Father Vincent Serpa, O.P. from Catholic Answers Forums:

“Since it is certain that God will provide sufficient strength to carry
out whatever mission He appoints his servant to,” says who? You?
Actually, God calls all of His servants home eventually. Most often it
is through illness, as it is in the case with Pope Benedict. It was
certainly the case with Pope John Paul II. Even he seriously considered
retiring before He died, but his health declined so quickly that
retirement wasn’t necessary. Pope Benedict was an elderly man when he
generously accepted election as pope and has followed a schedule that
many younger people would not have been able to keep. Stamina he has
come to lack, but not faith.