Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

I don't expect it.  In fact, I would be happier of the popes stopped traveling about so much, and focused instead on restoring the Roman Church's liturgy.  Perhaps a new pope will do that, but I doubt it.

 

I REALLY DON'T THINK THAT THAT IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM! Wars, contraception, abortion. I would rather have a shitty (valid) liturgy than abortion and all these ills that are in the world.

Posted

From Dr. Scott Hahn:

 

Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.

Few people, however, noticed at the time.

Only now, we may be gaining a better understanding of what it meant. These actions were probably more than pious acts. More likely, they were profound and symbolic gestures of a very personal nature, which conveyed a message that a Pope can hardly deliver any other way.


In the year 1294, this man (Fr. Pietro Angelerio), known by all as a devout and holy priest, was elected Pope, somewhat against his will, shortly before his 80th birthday (Ratzinger was 78 when he was elected Pope in 2005). Just five months later, after issuing a formal decree allowing popes to resign (or abdicate, like other rulers), Pope Celestine V exercised that right. And now Pope Benedict XVI has chosen to follow in the footsteps of this venerable model.

 

 

Isn't he the one Dante put in hell?  Like his successor was corrupt and convinced him that he soul was in danger and Dante took that as him abandoning his flock to the wolves.  Or did I make that up?  I haven't read Dante since 11th grade but I feel like I remember reading that in the footnotes.  

Posted

I REALLY DON'T THINK THAT THAT IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM! Wars, contraception, abortion. I would rather have a shitty (valid) liturgy than abortion and all these ills that are in the world.

They are all interrelated.  The faith is holistic.

PhuturePriest
Posted

Pope Paul VI was a great and holy man. He did his best to lead the Church, and yes, he did it even to the very end of his life. While he was on his deathbed, he asked his accountant (A Priest) to stay with him and pray for his soul. He was frightened that he would abandon Christ at the end like Peter did. Eventually, they decided on doing a Rosary, and his accountant said it would be for his soul, but the Pope told him no, that they had already prayed for him, and that now they would pray for the good and well-being of the Church after he was gone. Let's remember his example and pray for the Pope, that he does not abandon Christ at the end like Peter did, and then pray for the Church and for its new successor. This is an exciting time to be Catholic, and so much good is going to abound in our time. Let's not mope around because not everything goes the way we think it should. One thing I have learned while being on this site is that adults are more experienced and know what they are doing. Seeing as how Pope Benedict is older than all of us (And seeing as how he is our Holy Father), we should trust his judgment. He has only ever strived to do what is best for the Church. He wouldn't abandon it now.



Isn't he the one Dante put in hell?  Like his successor was corrupt and convinced him that he soul was in danger and Dante took that as him abandoning his flock to the wolves.  Or did I make that up?  I haven't read Dante since 11th grade but I feel like I remember reading that in the footnotes.  

 

No, he is not the one Dante put in hell. His successor (Who put him to death after he resigned) was the one Dante put in hell.

Posted

They are all interrelated.  The faith is holistic.

 

Yes, and our faith leads to action. Not just sitting around and telling people what to do. You go into those trenches until you can no more. For some this is death, and for our Holy Father it is now. Trust him. I can promise you he is at least wiser than me.

homeschoolmom
Posted

Just to clarify... Dante didn't have the power to put anyone in hell. Just saying.

PhuturePriest
Posted

Just to clarify... Dante didn't have the power to put anyone in hell. Just saying.

 

Fact.

Posted

Again, I ask: How do you know this is not what the Holy Spirit wants? Just because this isn't going the way you would prefer it? The way I would prefer it is if Pope Benedict XVI was in great health and reigned for twenty more years. But that's obviously not going to happen, and God has something else in mind for us. I'll pray for you. This is hard on all of us.


I am probably the person on phatmass who disagreed with Benedict the most. I should therefore be rejoicing that we will have a new Pope. I'm not. I love the Church first and foremost. I know the Holy Spirit will guide us through this. If Benedict's decision is based on only what he has thus far said, it's a cop out. If something else is behind it, that will come out eventually. For now though, I am going on his words alone.
PhuturePriest
Posted

I am probably the person on phatmass who disagreed with Benedict the most. I should therefore be rejoicing that we will have a new Pope. I'm not. I love the Church first and foremost. I know the Holy Spirit will guide us through this. If Benedict's decision is based on only what he has thus far said, it's a cop out. If something else is behind it, that will come out eventually. For now though, I am going on his words alone.

 

Can it be that the reason you are not rejoicing is because you don't like him anyway and disagree with this just because you don't like him? He's our Holy Father. And a dang good one, too. He has done many great things, including trying to unify the Church (I'm not sure why you take problem with that). The man says he can no longer do it adequately, we should believe him.

Posted

I find this news frightening and confusing. The Papacy has proven to be the loudest and clearest moral voice in Christendom and a mighty bulwark  against the Christological heresies that are creeping into the Christian church. I do not share Catholic beliefs about the infallibility of the Popes, not even slightly, but the last two Popes (not speaking against their predecessors) were a mighty rebuke against tthe lawlessness that is over running both Catholicism and the rest of Christendom. I hope that Almighty God shows mercy on the world and that a righteous man is chosen to succeed this righteous man.

Posted

An interesting tidbit on Pope Celestine's resignation:

 

The historian told the Radio that the last pope to step down was Gregory XII, who did so in 1415 in order to end the Great Western Schism. However, Prudlo observed, the possibility of a papal resignation was confirmed even before that, when at the end of the 13th century, Celestine V resigned after finding himself unfit for the job.


"At the end of the 13th century, a very holy hermit named Peter was elected as Pope Celestine V in order to break a deadlock in the conclave that had lasted nearly three years. He was elected because of his personal holiness, sort of a unity candidate. And once he got there, being a hermit, not used to the ways of the Roman Curia, he found himself somewhat unsuited to the task, that it wasn't just holiness but also some shrewdness and prudence that was also required. So within six months he knew that he was really unequal to the task, and so he gathered the cardinals together in a consistory, just as was recently done, a couple hours ago, and he announced to the cardinals his intention to resign," Prudlo explained to Vatican Radio. "Because of the pope's position as the supreme authority in the Church, Celestine declared that the pope could freely resign, that it was permissible."

 

More on papal resignations here: Historian Notes Precedent for Papal Resignation

MissScripture
Posted

I truly cannot believe the ridiculous attitude of some people. This thread just makes me sad. I came to PM just after Papa Benedict was elected, and I joined because it was a safe place to like him, and trust the Holy Spirit knew what it was doing. I would really be disapppinted if we do not continue to have that trust.

KnightofChrist
Posted

The Church is a family, to me this is shocking, like my father giving a surprise announcement that he has gotten too old, so he's going to quit being my father.

 

It's how I feel, not what I believe.

PhuturePriest
Posted

Yeah! You're welcome!

 

You're just mad because my computer skills are faster than yours.

FutureCarmeliteClaire
Posted

My theory is that B16 resigned to spend more time at his secret llama farm preparing for the alpacalypse.

Posted

My theory is that B16 resigned to spend more time at his secret llama farm preparing for the alpacalypse.

 

I'd have to agree.

PhuturePriest
Posted

One of my favorite Pope Benedict XVI moments is the snapshot of what looks like him smacking his forehead. However, I cannot find that photo. I'm rather surprised no one humorously used it in this thread, though. The irony would have been amazing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...