An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Benedict Resigning

add

HisChildForever

So, is it too soon to speculate on papabili? :|

Nah. If the Holy Father passed away, I would say yes, but obviously that's not the case (thank God).

I am actually not surprised. He wanted his Pontificate to be the opposite of everything John Paul's was. Being a quitter is the opposite. Maybe he wanted to be able to influence who his successor will be. That's another reason they shouldn't resign. They shouldn't be able to influence the conclave outside of picking those who get the red hats. It's also not fair to his successor. Imagine trying to be in charge and having to make a decision Benedict doesn't agree with. The Church doesn't need public pissing matches.

I'm obviously disgusted.

you are honestly the last person I expected to say something like this. :(

God will provide.

obviously. i had this same feeling when Bl. Pope John Paul II died.

you are honestly the last person I expected to say something like this. :(

I'm known for having strong opinions. I love Vatican II, dislike the Latin mass and chant. I think the SSPX should be kicked to the curb once and for all, so obviously I have disagreed with some of the stuff Benedict did. That doesn't make me a bad Catholic. Still, I didn't want him to die or quit.

I'm a concrete thinker, and realize what this will mean. It will give fodder to our enemies. Even if no behind the scenes reason comes out, the Catholic haters will say this is to hush up something he did. They will feast on it for years.

Doing it so Cardinals might not be home for Easter is bizarre, or designed to force them to make a quick decision. Both things are bad.

This is bad for the Church is dozens of ways. When people get over the shock, they will start to realize how bad.

You live long enough, you get to see all kinds of unexpected things, don't you?

The last pope to resign was Gregory the Something-or-Other, when the Avignon papacy split came to an end. I don't know a lot about it, but I know that Catherine of Siena was involved in resolving that mess, so Catherine of Siena will be my daily prayer partner until a new pope is elected.

(VATICAN CITY) — Pope Benedict XVI has announced that he will resign Feb. 28, the first pontiff to do so in nearly 600 years. The decision sets the stage for a conclave to elect a new pope before the end of March.

when i saw the title of this thread my first thought was someone is pulling a bad joke or this

is a scam and it's incorrect information.  oh my this is way too bad.  i love our dear holy

father.   besides the fact that all of them are old!

You live long enough, you get to see all kinds of unexpected things, don't you?

The last pope to resign was Gregory the Something-or-Other, when the Avignon papacy split came to an end. I don't know a lot about it, but I know that Catherine of Siena was involved in resolving that mess, so Catherine of Siena will be my daily prayer partner until a new pope is elected.

ah thanks for letting us know this about Catherine of Siena.  i think i will go to amazon and get a book about her.

folks i need serious prayers lol.  i am buying so many kindle books lately.  about the church, the cathecsim, the siants,

etc. there is a never ending supply of really good stuff.

Edited by Debra Little

HisChildForever

The top possibilities seem to be Marc Oullet, Francis Arinze, and Peter Turkson [b](cue 'Peter the Roman' speculation...).[/b] 

I'll be honest, this crossed my mind. I'm sure the Cardinals know of St. Malachy's prophecy, though, which makes one wonder if our future Pontiff would avoid taking the name Peter in order to avoid speculation and perhaps hysteria.

dominicansoul

I'm known for having strong opinions. I love Vatican II, dislike the Latin mass and chant. I think the SSPX should be kicked to the curb once and for all, so obviously I have disagreed with some of the stuff Benedict did. That doesn't make me a bad Catholic. Still, I didn't want him to die or quit.

I'm a concrete thinker, and realize what this will mean. It will give fodder to our enemies. Even if no behind the scenes reason comes out, the Catholic haters will say this is to hush up something he did. They will feast on it for years.

Doing it so Cardinals might not be home for Easter is bizarre, or designed to force them to make a quick decision. Both things are bad.

This is bad for the Church is dozens of ways. When people get over the shock, they will start to realize how bad.

the enemies of the Church don't need any reasons to attack us, they just do.  We'll handle it the way we handle all the other criticisms...

I honestly believe it must be something with his health, and he's doing what is best for the Church.  Rather than be an invalid Pope, he obviously wants a healthier, stronger successor to maintain sound leadership of the Church...

ditto. I have a very sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. :(

If I am elected Pope I will ensure that any Priest who deviates even slightly from the rubric is beaten mercilessly and hung if the offense occurs again.  

VOTE HASAN!

There is a jesuit lurking in rome over all of this somewhere.  I'll bet there was one in the audience when he anounced it.  Clearly a conspiracy.

So who has the name Peter Romanos or whatever it is....... :)

If I am elected Pope I will ensure that any Priest who deviates even slightly from the rubric is beaten mercilessly and hung if the offense occurs again.  

VOTE HASAN!

MAMMA MIA!
Don't you know that you  have to be Catholic, to be in the  running?

I am not a fan of popes, patriarchs or bishops resigning.  I think they should serve until they die of old age.

You are like the Packer fans who were against Aaron Rodgers. 

Discount double check!!!

MAMMA MIA!
Don't you know that you  have to be Catholic, to be in the  running?

I'm male, confirmed, and single.  

I will issues a call to all righteous Catholic men to take up arms and form an army to retake the Holy Land.  I'll also move to retake the Hagia Sophia by force.  

HASAN 2013!