PadrePioOfPietrelcino Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Yes, but have each of us stopped to pray for the Holy Father (who is still the Holy Father) and for the Church yet? Prayer, not speculation is the healthiest way to spend our time. I cannot even imagine the burden of being the pope in the first place, much less the burden he faced that he would decide it is best for the Church for him to resign. I found out a couple hours ago as I was preparing the Sacresty for Morning Mass. Fr told me. He announced the resignation before Mass and was used the prayers for the Holy Father, Fr also gave a nice homily the need to follow the Holy Father in prayer.
thessalonian Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Why must I have run out of props? Why? This is an amazing post FP. (And reminds me of my own feelings when JP2 died and I was a non-Catholic.) Also, new from Catholic memes and germane to this thread given we've had some Petrus Romanus posts already: Too late. I already posted one. :)
Basilisa Marie Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 "Pope John Paul II remained in office so that he might show us how to suffer and how to die. Pope Benedict XVI is leaving the Papal Office so that he might show us how to live in humble honesty." YES THIS. I think there are two ways of looking at it, the practical level and the spiritual level. JPII probably decided to offer his prayer and suffering up for graces for the whole Church. BXVI is taking a more pragmatic approach, setting a modern precedent for future popes who feel like they aren't equipped to handle the practical demands of the position anymore. I don't think one is more right than the other. If popes were only meant to die in office, then we wouldn't allow them to resign. I wonder if, like someone else mentioned, he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. From what I understand, JPII was mentally fit, it was his body that was broken down. Could you imagine if B16 or any pope became sick with Alzheimer's - and the illness became advanced to the point where he didn't recognize his bedroom, staff, position, etc.? I wonder how that would be handled. I heard some rumor about dementia. And as a theologian, Benedict would probably be quite sensitive to mental degeneration.
BG45 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 "Pope John Paul II remained in office so that he might show us how to suffer and how to die. Pope Benedict XVI is leaving the Papal Office so that he might show us how to live in humble honesty." If I could prop I would. That's beautiful.
4588686 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Sometimes it takes a wise man to know when the time has come to step aside so that the Church can benefit from my benevolent authoritarian rule.
Ash Wednesday Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I have a feeling Benny must know something we don't. It must be between him and God right now. Indeed, there's so much that we really don't know, it would do us all well to keep that in mind and pray for the entire situation.
carmenchristi Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I'm not attacking or turning on the Pope. I'm saying his quitting is a bad idea and will hurt the Church. I hope I'm wrong. You can disagree with something your parents or kids do without hating them. Look up pope Celestine V..... He resigned from the papacy and is a canonized saint. I think it is a harsh judgement to call BXVI a quitter. This is a testimony of courage and humility. Can you imagine how difficult such a resignation must have been! I firmly believe that it is wrong of anyone who would presume to determine the correctness of such a decision. It is a matter of conscience. Our Holy Father loves the Church and is clearly (by what he has said) doing this for her benefit. I have lived serious scandals through the behavior of members of the hierarchy, and would be the first to disagree with a decision made in order to save face. This is not one of those situations. Exposing oneself to universal critique, ridicule, judgement and the like is not an act of cowardice, it is a following in the footsteps of Christ!
Lil Red Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 (edited) Look up pope Celestine V..... He resigned from the papacy and is a canonized saint. I think it is a harsh judgement to call BXVI a quitter. This is a testimony of courage and humility. Can you imagine how difficult such a resignation must have been! I firmly believe that it is wrong of anyone who would presume to determine the correctness of such a decision. It is a matter of conscience. Our Holy Father loves the Church and is clearly (by what he has said) doing this for her benefit. I have lived serious scandals through the behavior of members of the hierarchy, and would be the first to disagree with a decision made in order to save face. This is not one of those situations. Exposing oneself to universal critique, ridicule, judgement and the like is not an act of cowardice, it is a following in the footsteps of Christ! well said. p.s. i'm stealing this. Edited February 11, 2013 by Lil Red
carmenchristi Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 "Pope John Paul II remained in office so that he might show us how to suffer and how to die. Pope Benedict XVI is leaving the Papal Office so that he might show us how to live in humble honesty." This!
Apotheoun Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Let's all hope that Benedict is treated better than Celestine.
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I don't think that he would have resigned without really good reason, and I don't think it's anybody's place to dig further than what he has already said.
CatherineM Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Well, euthanasia supporters are probably happy. If you're old and infirm, it's okay to give up. I fight every day to physically get out of bed. I've had such a bad head injury that I get sundowners. If you don't know what that is, google it. There are times I stop in the middle of conversations because I can't come up with a word. Maybe I should just give up and stay in bed. I don't because I've been given the gift of life, so I'm going to live it. The Apostles didn't give up. Popes aren't supposed to either. Don't you think when you are elected Pope you know it is for life? Maybe we should make marriage vows until we get too tired or infirm. So what if he can't travel overseas. He can do his job without working 18 hour days. If he needs help to walk down the aisle, what's wrong with accepting help? I'm not a traditionalist. I didn't like many of the things he did. Yet, I think he should stay. I'm too upset about this to even debate it any further.
Apotheoun Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 (edited) Well, euthanasia supporters are probably happy. If you're old and infirm, it's okay to give up. I fight every day to physically get out of bed. I've had such a bad head injury that I get sundowners. If you don't know what that is, google it. There are times I stop in the middle of conversations because I can't come up with a word. Maybe I should just give up and stay in bed. I don't because I've been given the gift of life, so I'm going to live it. The Apostles didn't give up. Popes aren't supposed to either. Don't you think when you are elected Pope you know it is for life? Maybe we should make marriage vows until we get too tired or infirm. So what if he can't travel overseas. He can do his job without working 18 hour days. If he needs help to walk down the aisle, what's wrong with accepting help? I'm not a traditionalist. I didn't like many of the things he did. Yet, I think he should stay. I'm too upset about this to even debate it any further. I agree. I think it sets a bad precedent, and I say that as someone who has all sorts of medical problems, but I simply refuse to give up. Edited February 11, 2013 by Apotheoun
Starets Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 You live long enough, you get to see all kinds of unexpected things, don't you? The last pope to resign was Gregory the Something-or-Other, when the Avignon papacy split came to an end. I don't know a lot about it, but I know that Catherine of Siena was involved in resolving that mess, so Catherine of Siena will be my daily prayer partner until a new pope is elected. Gregory XII Before that there was Pope St Celestine V and apparently there were others before that
Apotheoun Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Gregory XII Before that there was Pope St Celestine V and apparently there were others before that I believe there was a papal resignation in the 11th century too, but there were scandals surrounding that episode and the pope who resigned ended up becoming pope again.
carmenchristi Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 (edited) At this moment I am as close as I am allowed to get to the tomb of Peter. Please join spiritually in this pilgrimage and pray for our Holy Father, his successor and the universal Church. Edited February 11, 2013 by carmenchristi
PhuturePriest Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Being the Pope is different than being a parent. Being a Priest is different than being a parent. That is why they retire eventually. If Priests that have one or two parishes retire because it gets to be too much, what do you think being the Pope is like? He's unable to do his job adequately. If you are mad, take it up with God. Pope Benedict didn't choose to get older, but it happens and he is no longer able to do his job efficiently. He recognizes that Catholicism needs to be on the forefront at all times in this age, and if he's lying in his bed all day waiting to die, he cannot do this. He is taking an ACT OF HUMILITY, not an act of cowardice and giving up. I'm sure he's grieving over this far more than you are. It's not an easy decision to make, and he deserves our support, not our abandonment.
Apotheoun Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Priestly retirement is a modern practice. Clerics did not retire in the ancient Church.
the171 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Priestly retirement is a modern practice. Clerics did not retire in the ancient Church. The Church is dynamic as well as steadfast. Celibacy is also a "modern practice."
the171 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 (edited) double post Edited February 11, 2013 by the171
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now