Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

GeorgiiMichael
Posted


It depends on the circumstances of why they left office. I am not sure either are the "ultimate" demonstration of humility.

 

Yeah, neither of those seem quite up to becoming human, being mocked and ridiculed, then being crucified for a bunch of ungrateful ingrates.

Posted

Yeah, neither of those seem quite up to becoming human, being mocked and ridiculed, then being crucified for a bunch of ungrateful ingrates.

Although I have felt that a minority of the warnings I have received here have been unfair I would say that 'crucified' is a bit exaggerated   

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry that my attitude is seen as disrespectful. I guess I'm just another cripple who has no place in society and nothing left to offer. I resign from Phatmass so that I no longer upset anyone.

 

CatherineM, I'm really sorry that you feel this way about the Holy Father's resignation. I can see how you would feel that he is just giving up, given that you and your husband and your whole family having pushed through some incredibly hard stuff, and you have not given up. That is admirable, and I think that experience makes your position understandable.

 

But understand, too, that you can't hold others to your standards. You can't expect everyone to respond to everything the way you do. You don't know what is going on in Papa's heart, what circumstances he's living in, what his hidden reasons and intentions are. It's just not fair to judge to him as you would judge yourself. I think you're only judging out of hurt, but still, please have some charity. He is not you.

Edited by curiousing
franciscanheart
Posted

would we all get locked in here for a conclave until we elected a new dust?  Who is eligible to be the next dust?

All CMs, regulators, clergy, and religious under the age of 80 have voting rights. Anybody non-phishy can be chosen, but if a non-CM is chosen he must first be elevated to CM status. The next Dust must be elected by a 2/3 majority, but if a stalemate exists after one month of voting, then a simple majority suffices. If after two months the next Dust has not been chosen, instead of voting all eligible electors will fight until only one remains, who then becomes the next Dust.

I think it works a little bit like American politics. Translated: I would take over.
 

I think this is missing some words.

You know me too well. :|
Posted (edited)

It just occurred to me, I really hope we see Monsignor Guido Marini retain his role as Master of Pontifical Liturgical Celebrations. He has done a spectacular job, especially considering who he took over from. I would really miss seeing Monsignor Guido Marini in almost every single picture and video of the Holy Father. :P

 

capt_a6e01997cf5e48d28cf50fd7edf188e5_va

 

Seriously, I am convinced that it is more difficult to find a picture of a papal liturgy without Monsignor Marini in it. :P

Edited by Nihil Obstat
Posted

I woke up this morning to Cardinal Dolan on the clock radio saying he didn't think an American would be elected "this time around." I thought Pope Benedict must've died in the night. I was relieved to find out that he was only resigning. 

 

When I was in high school, all the sports freaks would sit around the cafeteria before class, and again during lunch, telling each other what the baseball (or football or hockey or soccer or basketball) manager should have done in last night's game, how each of them would have handled the situation, why their logic was superior to the paid professional's, how they would manage the team when they became paid professionals (which none of them ever did), blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah. It struck me even when I was a pimply-faced fourteen-year-old that they were all talking a lot of hooey. They couldn't even do their algebra homework much less out-manage the manager. Later I learned it was call Monday Morning Quarterbacking or Armchair Quarterbacking. They were all speculating - IF Pizzarelli had gotten a double instead of a single in the first, IF Montoya hadn't made the error in the third, IF Washington had stolen second base in the fifth, IF Clayton had been allowed to swing away in the seventh, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah. To quote a very wise woman I used to know, "If we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs, if we had some eggs." 

 

I've followed this thread all day. I've seen: 

 

 

Shock

 

Speculation about Pope Benedict's physical health

 

Dismay

 

Speculation about Pope Benedict's mental health

 

Anger

 

Speculation about Pope Benedict's motives

 

Phamily snapping at each other because your speculation doesn't match my speculation

 

Speculation about "what's really going on"

 

Some intelligent comments

 

Speculation about who will be the next pope

 

Some really judgmental remarks in reaction to another person's speculation

 

Fear

 

Speculation about what Pope Benedict will do in retirement

 

Lack of understanding

 

Speculation about what some Phatmassers think about other Phatmassers

 

 

 

 

To paraphrase the Latin, speculation in specula speculorum.

 

The shock, dismay, anger, fear, and lack of understanding are all valid reactions, valid emotions. The speculation is a waste of time. I'm done with this thread. 

 

 

I've decided to shut up and pray.

Posted

I think speculation about the next pope is both exciting and enlightening, especially in such a rare case where it is not tempered by mourning.

franciscanheart
Posted

[blah blah blah] I'm done with this thread. 
 
 
I've decided to shut up and pray.

You forgot the part where you say:

"Drops mic, walks away."
Posted

I

 

Some intelligent comments

 

 

You're welcome.  

Posted

I have been saying for a while now, I think the indult for Communion in the hand will be removed sooner or later. :P

Posted

The last time a pope resigned they waited till he was dead (just over two years) before electing a new one.

The Conclave should happen around 2 weeks after his resignation on the 28th.

Posted (edited)

The Conclave should happen around 2 weeks after his resignation on the 28th.

I have no doubt that the conclave will be held sometime during March. I was just pointing out the fact that the last time a pope resigned the new pope was not elected until after the previous pope had died, and that brought about a delay of over two years. Of course, the cardinals may have waited because they feared the possibility of having four popes at once

Edited by Apotheoun
Posted


would we all get locked in here for a conclave until we elected a new dust?  Who is eligible to be the next dust?

 


Habemus Dustem, Militia Immaculata Kolbe!

homeschoolmom
Posted


Habemus Dustem, Militia Immaculata Kolbe!

:eek:

Posted (edited)

:o

 

:stubborn:

 

Too many Americans have been dust, we should have someone that represents the vast geographic nature of phatmass.

 

 

 

Edited by vee8
Roamin Catholic
Posted

So if Benedict resigning/retiring makes him a quitter; does that make every retired person a quitter as well?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...