An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis!

Kateri89

franciscanheart

Oremus pro pontifice....
Even if I'm a non-Catholic I love this news. I heard it in a church. Makes me sad that I'm not a Catholic.

I love that others are excited with us. He's your Papa, too, even if you haven't "come home to Rome". ;) Hugs, non-Catholic friend!

ithinkjesusiscool

Well, you know the pope is actually like a grandfather. Pope Benedictus XVI was a real grandfather. I really like old people.

I like him already.  He seems very humble and kindhearted and since I knew nothing about him (never even heard of him) I looked him up.  The more I learn about him the more I like him  :proud:   Plus he picked Francis as his name and I have a certain affinity for all things Franciscan   :saint2:

I'm also hoping that since he's from Argentina, he'll help revitalize Latin America in the faith!

Franciscan?  The first thing that came to my mind was St. Francis Xavier, who was one of the greatest evangelizers.  And, he is a Jesuit!!!  How exciting to have a Jesuit pope.

Either way, very exciting news.  Prayers for him.

Edited by Mercy me

Oremus pro pontifice....
Even if I'm a non-Catholic I love this news. I heard it in a church. Makes me sad that I'm not a Catholic.

2005. Election of Pope Benedict XVI. I was a nominal Christian at best (functionally near Athiest) who had no interest in organized religion.  Saw all the hubbub over the Conclave. Started looking into things. Over time, gradually discovered the Church.   Now here we are just one Conclave later and I'm a fully baptised and confirmed Catholic contemplating and discerning the *Priesthood* fer crying out loud.

Look into the Church. It's really an institution full of wonder and majesty. At least give it some thought

Edited by penguin31

franciscanheart

Franciscan?  The first thing that came to my mind was St. Francis Xavier, who was one of the greatest evangelizers.  And, he is a Jesuit!!!  How exciting to have a Jesuit pope.

Either way, very exciting news.  Prayers for him.

I suppose we won't know until he tells us. Francis Xavier, Francis of Assisi, Francis de Sales. :idontknow:

I suppose we won't know until he tells us. Francis Xavier, Francis of Assisi, Francis de Sales. :idontknow:

As Father John, SCJ (@ padrejoaozinho) put it:

That the new pope has the humility of Francis of Assisi, the missionary zeal of Francis Xavier and mystique copy of Francisco de Paula.

Ash Wednesday

Oremus pro pontifice....

Welcome to phatmass and rejoice with us....

:bananarap: :paco2: :paco:

Don't be a stranger. We have tacos.

He asked the crowd to bless him!  What a beautiful and humble gesture, and great gesture too.

I think we have a great new pope!!!

He asked the crowd to bless him!  What a beautiful and humble gesture, and great gesture too.

I think we have a great new pope!!!

Correction: He asked the crowd to pray for God to bless him. Small difference in words, huge difference theologically.

Well, you know the pope is actually like a grandfather. Pope Benedictus XVI was a real grandfather. I really like old people.

I guess ol' benedict XVI is like our great-grand-father now!

Correction: He asked the crowd to pray for God to bless him. Small difference in words, huge difference theologically.

Oops - sorry for the correction.

I was actually repeating what the news on TV was saying...

*smirk*

Franciscan? The first thing that came to my mind was St. Francis Xavier, who was one of the greatest evangelizers. And, he is a Jesuit!!! How exciting to have a Jesuit pope.

Either way, very exciting news. Prayers for him.

This is true, I don't know which Francis he chose the name after but in everything I've read about his belief in a life of simplicity, I'm led to believe Francis of Assisi. Of course this is all speculation and I could be 100% wrong.

OnlySunshine

Don't laugh... one of my reactions was .... "aww he's cute" :kitten:

I thought so, too!  He looks so fatherly and nice!  I love him already!  VIVA IL PAPA FRANCESCO!  :woot:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae