An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis!

Kateri89

Guest Allie

Today I learned that raisins in chocolate chip cookies aren't as good of an idea as it sounds.

:hehe2: :hehe: :bravo: :smile3: :lol3:

He said this:  "One does not remain faithful, like the traditionalists or the fundamentalists, to the letter,"

Finish the quote: "...Fidelity is always a change, a blossoming, a growth. The Lord brings about a change in those who are faithful to Him. That is Catholic doctrine. Saint Vincent of Lerins makes the comparison between the biologic development of the person, between the person who grows, and the Tradition which, in handing on the depositum fidei from one age to another, grows and consolidates with the passage of time"

Sounds to me like a theologian discussing spiritual growth and development, both on the personal level and amongst the Body of Christ as a whole (much as one's physical body grows and changes over a lifetime, while still remaining the same person). It was mentioned shortly after a need for evangelization within the Church - so that the Church and it's Body can continue to grow.

Also: When in doubt, trust in the Holy Spirit. Some would have (and did) refer to Benedict XVI as a questionable choice, yet it proved to be a sound choice.  Some would have (and did) refer to John Paul II as a questionable choice, yet it proved to be sound.  Ad infinitum. Trust in the Holy Spirit.

Original article, with the quote, BTW: http://www.30giorni.it/articoli_id_16457_l3.htm

Edited by penguin31

PUHLEASE! You are saying that the Holy Spirit doesn't know how to pick a Shepherd of the Church? Do you think you know more than 2/3 of the elector cardinals? because that is essentially what you are saying. Give thanks to God, and pray for the pope!

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but really, let the non Catholics do the criticizing! 

The Holy Spirit does not pick the Supreme Pontiff.

A bunch of sinners in red zuchetto's pick the Supreme Pontiff. There is definitely room for "bad" popes, and that can be seen in the history of the papacy. That is not to downplay the Cardinal Elector's, but they are not perfect. We can only pray that they listened to the Holy Spirit when casting their votes.

edited to add: They may or may not actually wear their zuchetto when casting their vote though. It's a liturgical act involving prayer, so my guess would be the zuchetto is actually removed :).

Edited by Slappo

Ash Wednesday

Am I the only person that doesn't like him?

He said this: "One does not remain faithful, like the traditionalists or the fundamentalists, to the letter," and I don't like it.

I have a vision of him selling off the Sistine Chapel and building a soup kitchen with the money.

I think what history has taught us, popes don't always do what is assumed of them one way or another. I say give him a chance, but most of all, pray for him. Edited by Ash Wednesday

What is the context of his statement?

Scroll up two posts. Full quotation (with removed part re-added) and the full interview for total context were posted by moi.

Ash Wednesday

Scroll up two posts. Full quotation (with removed part re-added) and the full interview for total context were posted by moi.

Thank you...I deleted my question because you answered it. A little context goes a long way. :)

edited to add: They may or may not actually wear their zuchetto when casting their vote though. It's a liturgical act involving prayer, so my guess would be the zuchetto is actually removed :).

They normally wear the zucchetto for prayer in their choir or Mass vestments, except when the Blessed Sacrament is present. In regular clerics they don't wear it, but I believe in this case they were in choir dress, so they were wearing it.

PhuturePriest

There's no need to stop Jesuit jokes. We'll just have to distinguish between non-Papal Jesuits is all.