An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis!

Kateri89

In much lighter news: All the Franciscans are going to be really confused over the following years when talking about Holy Father Francis! They'll have to constantly clarify between Pope Francis and St. Francis :).

Not just Franciscans, but also Visitandines and Salesians. (Man, the Love Doctor gets such short shrift around here...) But I was assured by a veteran Visitandine several months ago that there is never confusion when referring to "Our Holy Father" (St. Francis de Sales) and "Our Holy Father" (the Pope). Apparently, it's always clear from context.

Not just Franciscans, but also Visitandines and Salesians. (Man, the Love Doctor gets such short shrift around here...) But I was assured by a veteran Visitandine several months ago that there is never confusion when referring to "Our Holy Father" (St. Francis de Sales) and "Our Holy Father" (the Pope). Apparently, it's always clear from context.

I'm not familiar enough with the Salesians and Visitandines. I wasn't aware that they referred to St. Francis De Sales as "Holy Father Francis". Going to FUS I certainly knew Franciscans referred to St. Francis of Assisi that way though :). Learn something new every day (today especially!).

Evangetholic

My Orthodox friends have sent me links to videos of even worse masses. Latin America seems to be prone to bad masses (see the Aparecida liturgical videos in particular).

Your Orthodox friends seem oddly fixated on Holy Church.

Evangetholic

If a fellow Christian wants to bestow a blessing, I don't see it as harmful.  Who's to say that he didn't bless the Protestant minister as well?

In the churches and ecclesial communities which are separated from full communion with the Catholic Church, many elements of sanctification and truth can be found. All of these blessings come from Christ and lead to Catholic unity. Members of these churches and communities are incorporated into Christ by Baptism and we so we recognize them as brothers. (CCCC 163)

The "Church's" (I don't mean, the Church I mean the hierarchy inclusive of our last three popes) understanding of Ecumenism (post-Vatican II) seems strange, at times scandalous, and difficult to reconcile with the uniform voice of the Church (speaking in clearly infallible and authoritative ways) on such matters.

Evangetholic

According to the ancient Fathers and the holy canons of the ecumenical (and particular synods) a clergyman who receives a blessing from a schismatic or a heretic should be defrocked. That the Roman Church has been irenic with Protestants is not really something I am all that interested in, and I say that as a former Protestant. The Church really needs to regain its missionary zeal, and should try to convert heretics back to the orthodox faith of the Holy Fathers. Dialogue that does not lead to conversion really seems counterproductive.

Yes. And her interactions with East (who in the case of the Orthodox are in schism) are also very "irenic."

Nihil Obstat

The "Church's" (I don't mean, the Church I mean the hierarchy inclusive of our last three popes) understanding of Ecumenism (post-Vatican II) seems strange, at times scandalous, and difficult to reconcile with the uniform voice of the Church (speaking in clearly infallible and authoritative ways) on such matters.

Thank goodness that recent years have allowed a gradual expansion of the acceptable discussions of certain aspects of the Council. :)

Evangetholic

Thank goodness that recent years have allowed a gradual expansion of the acceptable discussions of certain aspects of the Council. :)

I accept Vatican II. I agree with Benedict XVI about reading it with a "hermeneutic of continuity"--I think I'm probably to the right of him on what that means, but time (and the Holy Ghost) will stabilize the Church probably somewhere between the standard Trad (ahhhhh!!!! oh no! Protestant voodoo. The Eastern schismatics eat babies.) and the post-Conciliar sharing in things sacred, indifferentism, synagogue attending, Quran kissing, etc.

Nihil Obstat

I accept Vatican II. I agree with Benedict XVI about reading it with a "hermeneutic of continuity"--I think I'm probably to the right of him on what that means, but time (and the Holy Ghost) will stabilize the Church probably somewhere between the standard Trad (ahhhhh!!!! oh no! Protestant voodoo. The Eastern schismatics eat babies.) and the post-Conciliar sharing in things sacred, indifferentism, synagogue attending, Quran kissing, etc.

I more or less agree.

In most cases, when I perceive there to be a two sided issue, with opposing extremes, I tend to do my best to reject the extremes as well as a 'middle ground'. I agree with Dietrich von Hildebrand's position, which I read in Trojan Horse in the City of God, that the solution to a problem is typically not in a 'moderate' position, but rather in finding a solution that is 'above' the spectrum of extremes. Essentially, place truth above both the extremes and the middle road, and pursue truth alone.

I offer a poor paraphrase of it, but unfortunately it would probably take me several hours to find and transcribe the relevant parts from that particular section of his book. :sweat:

Evangetholic

I more or less agree.

In most cases, when I perceive there to be a two sided issue, with opposing extremes, I tend to do my best to reject the extremes as well as a 'middle ground'. I agree with Dietrich von Hildebrand's position, which I read in Trojan Horse in the City of God, that the solution to a problem is typically not in a 'moderate' position, but rather in finding a solution that is 'above' the spectrum of extremes. Essentially, place truth above both the extremes and the middle road, and pursue truth alone.

I offer a poor paraphrase of it, but unfortunately it would probably take me several hours to find and transcribe the relevant parts from that particular section of his book. :sweat:

I agree. You are my favorite person phatmasser person phatmasser. I've been journeying through Dietrich and Alice for the last two years. <3

Nihil Obstat

I agree. You are my favorite person phatmasser person phatmasser. I've been journeying through Dietrich and Alice for the last two years. <3

I usually cite Trojan Horse in the City of God as the book that made me a traditionalist. :)

And your kind words warm my heart. You are a good man.

I have a vision of him selling off the Sistine Chapel and building a soup kitchen with the money.

That'd be a pretty great thing to do.

dominicansoul

Getting blessed by a protestant pastor

bergoglio.jpg

I'm not trying to be rude but I don't see what's so horrible about him being blessed by a Protestant.  It's hardly scandalous.

Just to clarify, if you look at the picture, Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa is blessing him, (The Franciscan to the right of Pope Francis.)  

It is funny, isn't it? How I could see a man like Francis who I have never heard of before, never met, and see his humility, his faith, and his calm fatherly demeanor, even hear a few of his words.. And now love him so much!

He is just a man, but he is our Pope--my Pope! 

Viva Il Papa! Viva Francisco! Viva la Santa Chiesa Cattolica!