An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis!

Kateri89

I don't think Mortify is trying to be negative, and I am sure he believes that the Church will continue on in spite of the weird things that go on in many liturgies. It is sad that such things happen, and it really does harm the faith, but God will provide a solution to these problems when the time is right.

Well said, brother

Getting blessed by a protestant pastor

bergoglio.jpg

Where do you keep finding this stuff? All I have found are some rather innocuous articles on wikipedia, and an interview with 30 Days magazine.

Yep, same thing :detective:

I'm not trying to be rude but I don't see what's so horrible about him being blessed by a Protestant.  It's hardly scandalous.

I'm not trying to be rude but I don't see what's so horrible about him being blessed by a Protestant.  It's hardly scandalous.

Actually the Cardinal should be the one imparting a blessing, because he is a priest, while the Protestant minister is a layman and a schismatic (and probably at bare minimum a material heretic).

Actually the Cardinal should be the one imparting a blessing, because he is a priest, while the Protestant minister is a layman and a schismatic (and probably at bare minimum a material heretic).

If a fellow Christian wants to bestow a blessing, I don't see it as harmful.  Who's to say that he didn't bless the Protestant minister as well?

In the churches and ecclesial communities which are separated from full communion with the Catholic Church, many elements of sanctification and truth can be found. All of these blessings come from Christ and lead to Catholic unity. Members of these churches and communities are incorporated into Christ by Baptism and we so we recognize them as brothers. (CCCC 163)

Catholic blogs of a more traditional leaning

e.g.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

Ah, I don't really visit those kinds of blogs. I'm more focused upon Eastern Christian sites that deal with the Byzantine liturgy and with relations with the Oriental Orthodox on matters of christology.

Fortunately you can give a perspective that sounds less hostile coming from an Eastern Catholic than a Roman

If a fellow Christian wants to bestow a blessing, I don't see it as harmful.  Who's to say that he didn't bless the Protestant minister as well?

In the churches and ecclesial communities which are separated from full communion with the Catholic Church, many elements of sanctification and truth can be found. All of these blessings come from Christ and lead to Catholic unity. Members of these churches and communities are incorporated into Christ by Baptism and we so we recognize them as brothers. (CCCC 163)

According to the ancient Fathers and the holy canons of the ecumenical (and particular synods) a clergyman who receives a blessing from a schismatic or a heretic should be defrocked. That the Roman Church has been irenic with Protestants is not really something I am all that interested in, and I say that as a former Protestant. The Church really needs to regain its missionary zeal, and should try to convert heretics back to the orthodox faith of the Holy Fathers. Dialogue that does not lead to conversion really seems counterproductive.

According to the ancient Fathers and the holy canons of the ecumenical (and particular synods) a clergyman who receives a blessing from a schismatic or a heretic should be defrocked. That the Roman Church has been irenic with Protestants is not really something I am all that interested in, and I say that as a former Protestant. The Church really needs to regain its missionary zeal, and should try to convert heretics back to the orthodox faith of the Holy Fathers. Dialogue that does not lead to conversion really seems counterproductive.

:cheers:

Fortunately you can give a perspective that sounds less hostile coming from an Eastern Catholic than a Roman

Well anyway, I don't want to get into an uncharitable debate over something that should be a joyous and exciting time for the Church.  We each have our thoughts on the issue but we can probably both agree that the best thing to do is simply pray for him and the Church.  God Bless!

I am sure that there are a lot of people here who do not like what I have to say, but you cannot please everyone.