An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis!

Kateri89

PhuturePriest

The Trads are biting their nails

I'm not biting my nails. Why would I? He seems like an awesome Pope.

Scroll up two posts. Full quotation (with removed part re-added) and the full interview for total context were posted by moi.

I would suggest that people read St. Vincent's Commonitory itself, because the good cardinal (now Pope Francis) has not conveyed fully what the text he is referencing says about the nature of doctrine. In the Commonitory St. Vincent goes out of his way constantly to state that any perceived change in the faith is only in outward appearance and never in essence, and notes that an essential change would be a trial for the Church, and then goes on to make what he means by saying this clear by quoting St. Paul to the effect that, "'. . . there must needs be heresies, that they who are approved may be made manifest among you': as though he should say, this is the reason why the authors of heresies are not immediately rooted up by God, namely, that they who are approved may be made manifest; that is, that it may be apparent of each individual, how tenacious and faithful and steadfast he is in his love of the Catholic faith."

Edited by Apotheoun

Does being a Jesuit change anything about how he functions? Does he continue to have responsibilities to his order?

I think what history has taught us, popes don't always do what is assumed of them one way or another. I say give him a chance, but most of all, pray for him.

I agree. It really is too early to know what he intends to do during his pontificate. He appears - from what I have been able to find on the internet - to be fairly traditional on moral issues, which is good; but I have not really been able to find much of anything about his liturgical views. I suppose time will tell.

I agree. It really is too early to know what he intends to do during his pontificate. He appears - from what I have been able to find on the internet - to be fairly traditional on moral issues, which is good; but I have not really been able to find much of anything about his liturgical views. I suppose time will tell.

Likely return to more JP2 masses

Likely return to more JP2 masses

That would be bad for ecumenical relations with the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches.

:cry:

PhuturePriest

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-horror-buenos-aires-journalist.html

I've seen no sources on anything being claimed here. All I see is fear mongering because Burke wasn't elected (For the record, I was practically praying for Burke to be elected). I have read of some instances where he boldly spoke out against contraception and abortion, and I haven't seen anything fishy about him yet. I could be dead-wrong. But I will assume the best of him and have hope in the Cardinals and their choice.

Rather than having any fear or worries about his papacy, I think I'll just pray for him and hope for the best!

:pray:

. . .  But I will assume the best of him and have hope in the Cardinals and their choice.

That is always the best approach.

If you're worried about the Pope's Catholicism, perhaps you need to reexamine your own conceptions of Catholicism, rather than worry about his...

Edited by Era Might

I know that I am a little slow but work and school was in order. I did hear it about just after one of my midterms but I couldn't respond until now.