An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis!

Kateri89

Be pissed off, I don't care. I didn't moan about anyone 'giving me croutons'.

I'm not pissed, I'm just pointing out why your obvious butthurt is well earned.

I'm not sure what 'obvious butthurt' means, but I'm not upset because people disagree with me.

It's butthurt that is obvious.

Butthurt is not in my vocabulary.

"Appendix" is not in the vocabulary of some who experience appendicitis, either. Knowing about it isn't a prerequisite for having it.

Apo I've never accused you of picking and choosing. Never have and probably never will--because it's not what I believe about you. If subsitit in means est--and I think it does, insofar the Church still refers to herself as unambiguously being the Church Jesus founded--then I can assent to it, if it means anything else then I don't see how it's "kosher." The supposition that the Church somehow needs the separated east to be herself seems highly problematic for Catholic ecclesiology. The Orthodox believe both you and I are heretics.

The Church doesn't need the East anymore than God needs created humanity. You can say the same about the West though. If it was the West that went schismatic and we now had an Eastern Pope, the Church wouldn't need the schismatic West.

Our current Pope only has one lung. It makes things a lot more difficult as I'm sure he could attest to. The Church would do best breathing with the full health of both lungs, fully reunited East and West, but we can survive without reconciliation. It's painful, but we can survive. We certainly cannot deny the validity of the sacraments conferred by Princes of the Church. The Eastern Orthodox bishops are still Princes of the Church even if not in full union with her. Think prodigal son. Even when he was separated from his father he was still his Father's son. Even when separated from the Church, the Bishop is still the Prince.

Edited by Slappo

homeschoolmom

Good night nurse! Can't we have ONE DAY of rejoicing together on a subject we should ALL be able to rejoice about? We have had this new pope for just 24 hours. Like him, love him, repect him or wonder about him, he is our PAPA!

Come on, people!!

Catholictothecore

Wow. Is this his first mass as Pope, or did he say one last night?

PS. Homeschoolmom, I agree completely. 

Edited by Catholictothecore

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2013/03/this-is-a-pope-from-galilee/

After his blessing last night to the crowd in St. Peter’s Square and to the world, Vatican aides told the pope a limousine was waiting to take him to his temporary quarters in the Vatican’s residence building. The new pope said he’d rather take the bus back with the cardinals – and he did.

This morning, the pope’s first act was to leave the Vatican for an impromptu visit to the Basilica of Saint Mary Major in central Rome. No doubt someone told him: “But Holy Father, we need time to plan these visits very carefully.” He wisely didn’t listen. Yes, his presence snarled traffic and caused a major stir, but the Romans loved it.

Instead of taking the main car in the papal fleet, a Mercedes with the “SCV 1” license plate, he rode in a more modest sedan.

On the way inside the basilica, he stopped to wave to high school students across the street. After praying before a popular icon of Mary, he told confessors at the church to “be merciful, the souls of the faithful need your mercy.”

The Sistine Chapel is a lovely building. I just wish the cardinals would wear more ornate miters.

Evangetholic

The Church doesn't need the East anymore than God needs created humanity. You can say the same about the West though. If it was the West that went schismatic and we now had an Eastern Pope, the Church wouldn't need the schismatic West.

Our current Pope only has one lung. It makes things a lot more difficult as I'm sure he could attest to. The Church would do best breathing with the full health of both lungs, fully reunited East and West, but we can survive without reconciliation. It's painful, but we can survive. We certainly cannot deny the validity of the sacraments conferred by Princes of the Church. The Eastern Orthodox bishops are still Princes of the Church even if not in full union with her. Think prodigal son. Even when he was separated from his father he was still his Father's son. Even when separated from the Church, the Bishop is still the Prince.

The separations between Christians are a scandal. They break my heart. The schism with the East hurts more than the schism with Protestants (though that's more personally painful for me); but still I'm not prepared to call anny man who has separated himself from Peter a "Prince of the Church," having said that I'd give my life to bring East and West together.

Edited by Evangetholic

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2013/03/this-is-a-pope-from-galilee/

After his blessing last night to the crowd in St. Peter’s Square and to the world, Vatican aides told the pope a limousine was waiting to take him to his temporary quarters in the Vatican’s residence building. The new pope said he’d rather take the bus back with the cardinals – and he did.

This morning, the pope’s first act was to leave the Vatican for an impromptu visit to the Basilica of Saint Mary Major in central Rome. No doubt someone told him: “But Holy Father, we need time to plan these visits very carefully.” He wisely didn’t listen. Yes, his presence snarled traffic and caused a major stir, but the Romans loved it.

Instead of taking the main car in the papal fleet, a Mercedes with the “SCV 1” license plate, he rode in a more modest sedan.

On the way inside the basilica, he stopped to wave to high school students across the street. After praying before a popular icon of Mary, he told confessors at the church to “be merciful, the souls of the faithful need your mercy.”

Pope John Paul II did a lot of that kind of stuff early in his pontificate, and then someone tried to kill him and the Vatican took a lot of precautions from that time forward.