An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis!

Kateri89

IcePrincessKRS

Good night nurse! Can't we have ONE DAY of rejoicing together on a subject we should ALL be able to rejoice about? We have had this new pope for just 24 hours. Like him, love him, repect him or wonder about him, he is our PAPA!

Come on, people!!

There are so many posts in this thread that I want to prop...

KnightofChrist

Why bad rep amount the T.L.M. volk?

You need to write with more better grammar. But think you're asking why all the bad rep from the TLM folks? Well not all of us jumped on the train of despair, only some. If the SSPX can have hope in this new Pope, there is no reason for anyone of us to give in to fear! Even if they had it would still be wise to grasp hope rather than fall into despair. Some days before the Pope was chosen I was sitting and praying outside, I had my favorites I was going to pray for them. But then something spoke to me. It seemed to say 'do not worry but just have Faith, God will provide, God will prevail, have faith in God, have faith in His Church, have Faith!  Pray for all the cardinals, remember that you are but a laymen and prayer is really the only say you can have in this, pray that they choose the Pontiff that God wills, but do not worry, do not give in to despair, whether he be a good Pope or bad Pope or anything in between, trust in God, because He will protect Holy Mother Church and He will protect you.'

From then on I have not worried about it, and have no plans to start now.

Evangetholic

You need to write with more better grammar. But think you're asking why all the bad rep from the Traditional Latin Mass folks? Well not all of us jumped on the train of despair, only some. If the SSPX can have hope in this new Pope, there is no reason for anyone of us to give in to fear! Even if they had it would still be wise to grasp hope rather than fall into despair. Some days before the Pope was chosen I was sitting and praying outside, I had my favorites I was going to pray for them. But then something spoke to me. It seemed to say 'do not worry but just have Faith, God will provide, God will prevail, have faith in God, have faith in His Church, have Faith!  Pray for all the cardinals, remember that you are but a laymen and prayer is really the only say you can have in this, pray that they choose the Pontiff that God wills, but do not worry, do not give in to despair, whether he be a good Pope or bad Pope or anything in between, trust in God, because He will protect Holy Mother Church and He will protect you.'

From then on I have not worried about it, and have no plans to start now.

I say how Reyb teach I

Nihil Obstat

http://www.taylormarshall.com/2013/03/traditionalists-and-pope-francis-can-we.html

Now, I don't really like Taylor Marshall, but I'm glad he took the time to call out people:

It was an excellent blog post.

I'm "all in" when it comes the Latin Mass, but I am also "all in" when it comes to the Pope. I didn't leave the Anglican priesthood to pretend to be my own Pope once again only this time in the Catholic Church.

I am enthusiastic about Pope Francis? To be honest, I don't know very much about His Holiness. Yes, I'll admit it: I'm not as excited as I would have been if Cardinal Burke or Cardinal Ranjith had walked out on that balcony yesterday. Those who read this blog daily know that my heart and my reputation was set on Burke. Oh well. I'm not God. I was way off the mark. Still, the Holy Father Francis has my filial devotion and obedience. 

Let's give His Holiness some time. Let's pray for him. If you're really worried, don't log on to a blog combox. Fast on bread and water, pray the Rosary more, go to confession more regularly, give alms to the poor, etc.

I'd like to encourage all of us to conform the pattern of our souls to the soul of the Blessed Virgin Mary. When Saint Peter, our first Pope, denied Christ three times, she didn't publish the news in the highways and the hedges. Saint John and Mary Magdalene didn't shout it from the housetops. It's really not our place to sift through what might be the future errors of a Pope that we don't yet know.

there's a book by Paolo Farinella that has me a bit alarmed in the same line as Noel's comment of selling the Sistine Chapel for a soup kitchen (Title Speaks for itself), but I calm myself noting that Bergoglio has long distanced himself from liberation theology but in a way by which he undercuts it by making the correct point that liberation theology attempts to make wrongly... so perhaps choosing Francis guarantees against the Pope Francesco I of Paolo Farinela's book by having a pope that makes the same kind of point without really abolishing the Vatican.  ultimately I like his personal humility, but I hope that he recognizes that the proper expression of personal humility while sitting on the throne of St. Peter is to show oneself as a man standing humbly overshadowed by the apostolic office, not to lower the apostolic office itself but to lower your individual self within it.  To entirely abolish all pomp and circumstance around the papacy is to rob the people of the symbolic art that has been forged by the Church to express our anticipation of the Glory of the Kingdom of God.  By all means eschew individual personal power, prestige, and wealth while in the Vatican, but one must recognize that the whole point of the Vatican's artwork and position is not about the individual who happens to be pope, it was given to that place expressing a symbolic point and its beauty belongs to the whole Church.  |I don't think he'll disappoint, though, I think his humility is a genuine humility that will be edifying.

I hope Benedict gives him ideas on how to clean up the Curia though, as I suspect in some ways in addition to his age and health, he wanted his resignation to be a way to shake things up so that a clean up could be done without raising too many eyebrows as things normally shift from one papacy to the next.  the Vatileaks three cardinal report is said to be locked away in the papal apartment now for the next pope's eyes only... we'll see what happens...

Ultimately I'll remain hopeful, quite a few things I've read impress me, a couple things make me wary.  For instance, that Latin Mass talked about in Knight's Fr. Z post was actually, according to reports from the ground, a hybrid mass, so it appears he was still remaining a bit resistant to Summorum Pontificum, I doubt he'll advance the liturgical agenda much but I don't think he'll roll anything back (unless someone up there convinces him to I suppose, I guess it'll all depend on who has his ear).

I have respect for him and a measured hope, but then I think I've for a while been a bit disconnected from the general cults of personality surrounding the papacy that many people are more comfortable in.  there's nothing wrong with that, so I do apologize if being a bit less enthusiastic is kind of rain at a parade... I feel more intrigued and curious than I am jubilant, but I do understand everyone else insisting upon more of a honeymoon phase than was expressed in Noel's comments znd then in these ones haha... in any event, Vival il Papa!

Nihil Obstat

there's a book by Paolo Farinella that has me a bit alarmed in the same line as Noel's comment of selling the Sistine Chapel for a soup kitchen (Title Speaks for itself), but I calm myself noting that Bergoglio has long distanced himself from liberation theology but in a way by which he undercuts it by making the correct point that liberation theology attempts to make wrongly... so perhaps choosing Francis guarantees against the Pope Francesco I of Paolo Farinela's book by having a pope that makes the same kind of point without really abolishing the Vatican.  ultimately I like his personal humility, but I hope that he recognizes that the proper expression of personal humility while sitting on the throne of St. Peter is to show oneself as a man standing humbly overshadowed by the apostolic office, not to lower the apostolic office itself but to lower your individual self within it.  To entirely abolish all pomp and circumstance around the papacy is to rob the people of the symbolic art that has been forged by the Church to express our anticipation of the Glory of the Kingdom of God.  By all means eschew individual personal power, prestige, and wealth while in the Vatican, but one must recognize that the whole point of the Vatican's artwork and position is not about the individual who happens to be pope, it was given to that place expressing a symbolic point and its beauty belongs to the whole Church.  |I don't think he'll disappoint, though, I think his humility is a genuine humility that will be edifying.

I hope Benedict gives him ideas on how to clean up the Curia though, as I suspect in some ways in addition to his age and health, he wanted his resignation to be a way to shake things up so that a clean up could be done without raising too many eyebrows as things normally shift from one papacy to the next.  the Vatileaks three cardinal report is said to be locked away in the papal apartment now for the next pope's eyes only... we'll see what happens...

Ultimately I'll remain hopeful, quite a few things I've read impress me, a couple things make me wary.  For instance, that Latin Mass talked about in Knight's Fr. Z post was actually, according to reports from the ground, a hybrid mass, so it appears he was still remaining a bit resistant to Summorum Pontificum, I doubt he'll advance the liturgical agenda much but I don't think he'll roll anything back (unless someone up there convinces him to I suppose, I guess it'll all depend on who has his ear).

I have respect for him and a measured hope, but then I think I've for a while been a bit disconnected from the general cults of personality surrounding the papacy that many people are more comfortable in.  there's nothing wrong with that, so I do apologize if being a bit less enthusiastic is kind of rain at a parade... I feel more intrigued and curious than I am jubilant, but I do understand everyone else insisting upon more of a honeymoon phase than was expressed in Noel's comments znd then in these ones haha... in any event, Vival il Papa!

That is a pretty good representation of where my thoughts are going right now. :)

I really admire what I have read about his insistence on personal holiness as a response to economic inequality.

KnightofChrist

There are clearly things to be concerned about, such as the hybrid Mass, which I didn't know when I posted, but still, no reason thus far to give into despair.

Evangetholic

John Paul II kissed a Quran and Benedict XVI prayed facing Mecca. This hybrid Mass undertaken before he became pope is certainly not the strangest moment in recent Church history.

Good grief! The man is not pope but 24 hours and people have him planning a Vatican garage sale to feed the poor. 

homeschoolmom

Good grief! The man is not pope but 24 hours and people have him planning a Vatican garage sale to feed the poor. 

:hehe2: Well-said.

Well we can either hope he was not aware of the Paolo Farinella book and his choice of papal name is a total coincidence, or that he is doing what I gather to be characteristic of him--a subversion of the more radical liberation theologian types through an authentic and proper expression of the point that they try to make, just without their errors.  I don't know.  Either way it's not like it's some completely left-field unfounded discussion point... but like I said, I doubt he'd go the wrong direction because I think his humility is authentic (and I think it'd actually be a bit arrogant to try to sell off into a private collection something that belonged to our spiritual patrimony)

I actually admire the story (though the Vatican denies it) of Paul VI trying to contract an art dealer to sell the Pieta, with the art dealer convincing him not to go through with it because of its priceless character.  I admire that kind of thing, I just don't think it should (or really could realistically) happen, and I get the sense that's probably where our new Pope stands too.  Though it would be quite interesting to see if it wiped the smug look off of Sarah Silverman's face.

Edited by Aloysius

Oh no! It's happened!

vatican_sold.jpg