An Old School Catholic Message Board

convent cake thread

vee

sr.christinaosf

That's how we did it as kids; how else would you do it?

I think we'r going to do the raspberry swirl cheese cake for St. Anne's Day.

sr.christinaosf

Interesting.  We're going to probably do cheese cake but i guess some people can't have the raspberry due to diverticulitis - I'll have to come up with an alternative filling for them - any ideas? 

IgnatiusofLoyola

Perhaps you could make a second plain cheesecake for those who have problems with raspberries. Alternatively, a chocolate marble cheesecake might be easy if you have powdered chocolate.

Another possibility would be to simply make plain cheesecake for everyone, and offer raspberry topping on the side for those who want it.

Any extra raspberries could be offered as an option as a cereal topping in the morning.

What a wonderful "problem"--that is, "What to do with an abundance of raspberries?"  :)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

sr.christinaosf

I like the chocolate idea.  I have chocolate chips, cocoa powder, or I could find chocolate ice cream topping.  Any of these could possibly work...Oh, and maybe even peanut butter.  I could save some of the raspberries for more jam and offer more options...this will be interesting.  

sr.christinaosf

So now...I'm thinking more about this cheese cake thing, as we look forward to celebrating "St. Anne's Week" here at St. Anne's Guest Home.  I've seen some recipes for cheese cake that call for some sour cream, which is considerably cheaper. 

Has anyone had experience making cheese cake with or without sour cream (in addition to the main cream cheese) and have any input for me? 

I am making raspberry cheese cake and also an alternative (TBD) for people with diverticulitis.  

Thanks and happy Sunday!

PS: tomorrow, for this week of festivities (we're starting our dress up days) we have Sports Day. so I'll be wearing my MN Gopher t-shirt on top of my vest.  A little controversy is fun (here in UND Fighting Souix country).  The two teams are rivals.

truthfinder

I know they're not nuns (obviously! ;) ) but check out this ordination cake!!!

I just about didn't realize that it was a cake! How fitting to make it into Mass-kits. 

sr.christinaosf

Interesting.  We're going to probably do cheese cake but i guess some people can't have the raspberry due to diverticulitis - I'll have to come up with an alternative filling for them - any ideas? 

How does three raspberry cheese cakes and three peanut butter chocolate sound?  I'm going with shopping tomorrow to get needed ingredients.  

I'm not sure how I'm going to do the latter variety, probably using chocolate chips and crunchy peanut butter.  Any ideas would be welcome :)  

truthfinder

When we homemake cheesecake, we've always used sour  cream (it's in the recipe).  But I don't actually know what it's supposed to do, but it does give a nice little tang to the taste. 

three raspberry cheese cakes and three peanut butter chocolate

How many people are you feeding? :o 

How many people are you feeding? :o 

everyone in this thread! :eat:

----

that ordination cake is amazing to look at, however I dont recall having eaten a cake with that much fondant and have reservations on how good it would actually taste.

How does three raspberry cheese cakes and three peanut butter chocolate sound? 

sounds delish!

truthfinder

everyone in this thread! :eat:

----

that ordination cake is amazing to look at, however I dont recall having eaten a cake with that much fondant and have reservations on how good it would actually taste.

sounds delish!

my friends had a wedding cake with probably more fondant. The key was that after everyone had seen it, it was taken to the kitchen and removed, so it was just the cake. Probably the best cake I've ever had too.