An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey, I'm New Here

Monica

C.S. Lewis was Anglican, and he was really good friends with our pal, J.R.R. Tolkien, who was a devout Catholic.  I have a book of Tolkien's letters, and it is interesting to read their dialogue.  I haven't been able to find a digital copy though.

Really?? He was Anglican??

In high school we were taught that he always leaned toward becoming a fundamentalist Protestant, and that some of the favorable things he wrote about the Epicopailan church he wrote to please his episcopalian firends/relatives or something like that....

i'll have to dig out that ol' book again and tell you for sure.....it's a shorter version.... ;)

That's really sad if she thinks we worship Satan.

Well...my family thought Catholics danced around with horns on their heads.

There are so many lies and halftruths out there about the Catholic Church.

Its funny, because people rarely seem to read the Catechism or even ask a practicing Catholic to find out what the Church teaches, they go to other anti-Catholics and ask them, as if they are going to give them a truthful answer.

hmmm... i always thought we renounced satan at our baptisms...

er.. what do i know, im just a Catholic. Presbyterians prolly know alot more about Catholocism than me! :lol:

B) :ph34r:

cmotherofpirl

The Apostle's Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, Our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified; died, and was buried. He descended into Hell; the third day He arose again from the dead; He ascended into Heaven, sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen

cmotherofpirl

Really?? He was Anglican??

In high school we were taught that he always leaned toward becoming a fundamentalist Protestant, and that some of the favorable things he wrote about the Epicopailan church he wrote to please his episcopalian firends/relatives or something like that....

i'll have to dig out that ol' book again and tell you for sure.....it's a shorter version.... ;)

C S Lewis was High Anglican which is as close to being Catholic as you can get.

Tolkien (wrote Lord of the Rings) was a wonderful catholic.

Wow, you know something?? YTou're actually almost the first catholics i've ever met, and, no offense, you're PEOPLE!

my parents didn't really allow me to asociate with catholics while i was growing up. And tyhrough my education i rather imagined catholics as corrupt people who are all talk, talk, tlk and never DO anything of what they talk about, and i've heard so many horror stories of priests and nuns and monks...

you don't even wanna know....

lol it seems rather childish now.... :lol:

Yep, he was Anglican.

And Cmom, I already have the book. It's always easier though to find a digital copy to cut and paste from, instead of typing it from the book.

Monica,

a good resourse to start looking at is a website called Biblical Evidence for Catholicism. It has both Catholic and Protestant arguments as well. It has a lot of information, so don't be overwhelmed, but it's a good starting place to start your search.

http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZINDEX.HTM

for an article on CS Lewis, see:

http://www.ctlibrary.com/ch/2000/65/2.26.html

I'm so glad u can see the mistruth of all that!

so many ppl will just go on thinking that because that's what theyve been taught... no matter what ppl tell them

God has truly blessed u with wisdom to see beyond what u were taught and seek the Truth. :)

cmotherofpirl

No its really rather sad.

We don't have horns, we have kids, pay taxes, have more kids, and worship God Almighty with our hearts, minds , and souls.

To be quite honest, when I first started reading about early Christianity and the Catholic Church, I felt cheated. I felt like I had been lied to my whole life. There are so many modern day miracles that have occured in the Church that I couldn't believe I had never heard of, such as Eucharistic Miracles (especially Lanciano), The miracle of Guadalupe, Marian Apparitions, and incorrupt saints.

But I decided that when I came down to it, I really didn't know if John Wesley (the founder of Methodism) was right when everyone else was wrong. I didn't want to place my salvation in the fact that of ONE PERSON who lived 1700 years after Christ was correct. So I kept going back and back in time, until I found the Church that wasn't started by one person with differing beliefs. And that's what lead me to the Catholic Church...its the only one that can prove it was founded by Christ, and still teaches what the apostles taught. Heck, the first Pope was Peter!

Monica, no joke, God is asking you to convert.

Ask all the questions you want, and we have answers for you! 

Actually, I'd love to start right off and tell you exactly what Peter Said in John 6: 68 Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

And the words the Lord Spoke were this: 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.

56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.

No Christian denomination can offer you what Christ Jesus COMMANDED us to do, except for the very first Christian Church; the Catholic Church.

And because outside the Catholic Church there exists no means by which one may attain Christs Body and Blood, therefore, Outside the Catholic Church there exists NO LIFE!

To whom can you go!

A very warm welcome to you Monica, and I do hope you take off your shoes and stay awhile.  We are Phamily here, you know!  ;)

God bless you and I look forward to your respose / questions!

One of my teachers (i also take some classes at the Presbyterian College) told me that catholics were going to tell me that Jesus founded their Church.

But I KNOW, from what i've larned in my 22 years from various sources, that the catholic church went astray, and was very corrupted, popes were having illegitimate children, as were most priests, they were burning people, forbidding people to read the bible...etc. but then Martin Luther came along, and he made the true, original points of christianity resurface out of that corrupt mess. He set people back straight.

i'm just giving you what i know from what i've learned (i am taking lost of different history courses, and also some religious studies (IB).

Don't kill me, again, i REALLY don't want to offend you all. I'm just giving what i know about this. ;)

Thank you.

i just want to tell you all that i don't just believe what i've been taught (like-no offense-many catholics follow their faith-blindly).

I can think and reason for myself, and i'm just giving you my opinion.

Thanks! :)

Wow, you know something?? YTou're actually almost the first catholics i've ever met, and, no offense, you're PEOPLE!

my parents didn't really allow me to asociate with catholics while i was growing up. And tyhrough my education i rather imagined catholics as corrupt people who are all talk, talk, tlk and never DO anything of what they talk about, and i've heard so many horror stories of priests and nuns and monks...

you don't even wanna know....

lol it seems rather childish now.... :lol:

They must not have heard of Mother Teresa.

She was Catholic!

And she spent her life serving the sick; people with such diseases as leprousey, etc. Nut just the common cold.

Man, it just frustrates me how we are hidden by so many lies.

The truth is, though, that Christianity was spread to the ends of the Earth by the Catholic Church.

The Bible was compiled by the Church!

Where do people think they got the Bible (falling from the sky?) :rolleyes:

Well, I'm glad you're here Monica.

haha, yeah we were forbidding people to read the Bible.

Actually, the first Bible was printed by Gutenburg, who was Catholic.

Before the printing press, there were no Bibles for people to read.

And even when the printing press came out, most people could not read anyway.

Monica, do you know the history of the Bible, where it came from, and who put it together? Do you know the name of the council that decided which books were inspired, and do you know who sat in that council? Do you know when that council occured?

These are things to look into. Where the Bible came from is a serious issue. It is a good place to start from.