An Old School Catholic Message Board

ask da nun

materdei

Sister,

This might be a silly question, but I was talking to a friend of mine the other day(non-Catholic, although she's expressed a desire to become Catholic ^_^ ) and we were talking about my possibly becoming a nun in the near future. She asked me a question that I don't think I've ever heard an answer to before. "Would a community accept someone with tattoos?" She has one of a fairy on her back, and it got her to thinking, since we were talking about nuns and all that. I figured I'd see if you knew the answer. :)

God bless,
Sarah

[quote name='SarahB' date='Jun 15 2005, 01:31 PM']Sister,

This might be a silly question, but I was talking to a friend of mine the other day(non-Catholic, although she's expressed a desire to become Catholic  ^_^ ) and we were talking about my possibly becoming a nun in the near future. She asked me a question that I don't think I've ever heard an answer to before. "Would a community accept someone with tattoos?" She has one of a fairy on her back, and it got her to thinking, since we were talking about nuns and all that. I figured I'd see if you knew the answer.  :)

God bless,
Sarah
[right][snapback]612380[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sure you can! Though there may be some orders out there who might have difficulty with it. I do know that one of the sisters in the Carmelite cloister in Buffalo, NY has her entire head tattooed in celtic designs. When she went to have her hair cut, before her clothing, the sister cutting her hair freaked out, and had sent her to the prioress. The prioress just looked at, smiled, gave a little laugh and sent her back to have her hair cut. She is still there, as far as I know. :D

zecardboardqueen

[quote name='materdei' date='Jun 15 2005, 06:31 PM']Sure you can! Though there may be some orders out there who might have difficulty with it. I do know that one of the sisters in the Carmelite cloister in Buffalo, NY has her entire head tattooed in celtic designs. When she went to have her hair cut, before her clothing, the sister cutting her hair freaked out, and had sent her to the prioress. The prioress just looked at, smiled, gave a little laugh and sent her back to have her hair cut. She is still there, as far as I know. :D
[right][snapback]612822[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's really good to know! I was concerned about the tattoo issue as well. I'm thinking about getting one on my wrist (celtic cross with "veritas" written across it), and I was curious about how certain orders would react to it.

Thanks for the answer!

Thank you for your words on wearing the Habit.. I am a Nun living as an anchoress in Ireland, away from my Order. .. a contemplative and a mystic......Please see
[url="http://www.iol.ie/~anchorhold/"]http://www.iol.ie/~anchorhold/[/url]
We have always, since we were founded in 1860, worn the traditional Monastic Habit; guimp, wimple, band, Veil, scapular. I go out rarely, only at need, and I am always humbled and awed and deeply thankful. People seek us and need and ask to talk about Jesus; to ask for Prayer, too pray there and then. And time anad again they say how good it is to se a Nun wearing the Habit. The Habit is our witness to Jesus; our act of faith, our availabliity to all His people, and our vulerabiltity . Here in Ireland, Religious Life is dying out. Apart from the Enclosed Order, like the Poor Clares, no Sisters here wear the Habit. Time and again, women come to me and say" I am a Sister too."... No one could tell. Many do not wear even a Cross. it is a blessing to us and to all who see us. And often I can use that to help folk where others cannot do so It is also practical and comfortable and less costly than " ordinary clothes and so befits our Vow of Holy Poverty ..... Blessings this day in His Name

FiatLux1860

Ooo, I can't wait to wear the habit. The sisters that I have spoken to have told me that they consider it a great privilege to be able to wear the +holy+ habit. And as a priest-friend of mine once said, a nun's habit is basically her wedding dress which she wears everyday of her life as a constant reminder of her marriage with God. I think that's one of the most beautiful sentiments I've heard about it. ^_^

Marieteresa

[quote name='FiatLux1860' date='Jun 19 2005, 09:38 AM']Ooo, I can't wait to wear the habit. The sisters that I have spoken to have told me that they consider it a great privilege to be able to wear the +holy+ habit. And as a priest-friend of mine once said, a nun's habit is basically her wedding dress which she wears everyday of her life as a constant reminder of her marriage with God. I think that's one of the most beautiful sentiments I've heard about it.  ^_^
[right][snapback]615969[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that is such a beautiful thought hon. Isn't it awesome that one day we get to wear our wedding dress everyday!! :P

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and Joseph,
S. Brooks

Marieteresa

hey I finally get to ask the nun a question!!

I am just wondering how does one deal with the waiting period until entrance. I know that alot of girls are dealing with this as well but to me it's like the hardest thing I have ever had to do is wait. I mean I wish I could just go and enter but I know that Our Lord commits me here for the time being. Thanks for any input hon.

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and Joesph,
S. Brooks

Ah; the waiting! The tender joy of anticipation.... A time to be delighted in and used well. Always in trust in Jesus. Many wait years. Have you read " In this House of Brede"? Not the film; the book by Rumer Godden. One young woman there used that waiting time to study chant and the organ; gifts to take into the monastery with her. she used her waiting well. Try that; develop your skills to enrich the Order. I had to wait many years and every gift and skill I worked at in those waiting years is now used by Jesus in our Order to the full. Blessings ths day

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Jun 19 2005, 05:12 PM']hey I finally get to ask the nun a question!!

I am just wondering how does one deal with the waiting period until entrance.  I know that alot of girls are dealing with this as well but to me it's like the hardest thing I have ever had to do is wait.  I mean I wish I could just go and enter but I know that Our Lord commits me here for the time being.  Thanks for any input hon.

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and Joesph,
S. Brooks
[right][snapback]616261[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, I would say to really pratice living in the present moment! St. Therese said that the time she had to wait was very beneficial to her, because she used that time for growth in her spiritual life. It is important , I think not to see it as wasted time, but rather as a blessed time. Time to prepare yourself for your Beloved! Use this time to work on growing in virtues, particularly charity with those you live with.
As far as practical advice, I think it would depend on how long your waiting period is going to be as to what are some things you could do.

[quote name='anchoress' date='Jun 19 2005, 06:15 AM']Thank you for your words on wearing the Habit.. I am a Nun living as an anchoress in Ireland, away from my Order. .. a contemplative and a mystic......Please see
[url="http://www.iol.ie/~anchorhold/"]http://www.iol.ie/~anchorhold/[/url]
We have always, since we were founded in 1860, worn the traditional Monastic Habit; guimp, wimple, band, Veil, scapular. I go out rarely, only at need, and I am always humbled and awed and deeply thankful. People seek us and need and ask to talk about Jesus; to ask for Prayer, too pray there and then.  And time anad again they say how good it is to se a Nun wearing the Habit. The Habit is our witness to Jesus; our act of faith, our availabliity to all His people,  and our vulerabiltity .  Here in Ireland, Religious Life  is dying out. Apart from the Enclosed Order, like the Poor Clares, no Sisters here wear the Habit. Time and again, women come to me and say" I am a Sister too."... No one could tell. Many do not wear even a Cross. it is a blessing to us and to all who see us.  And often I can use that to help folk where others cannot do so It is also practical and comfortable and less costly than " ordinary clothes and so befits our Vow of Holy Poverty ..... Blessings this day in His Name
[right][snapback]615926[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I checked out your website! It's beautiful, I love that gaelic hymn!!

[quote name='materdei' date='Jun 21 2005, 08:30 AM']I checked out your website! It's beautiful, I love that gaelic hymn!!
[right][snapback]617810[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you....
And waiting time; is it fanciful to compare it to getting a trousseau or bottom drawer ready spiritually? and to enjoy doing so...

Hello to both sisters! I have been following this topic with some interest, as I am entering the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist this August 28. And the past few posts about "waiting time" have really struck me... I must say, I am struggling with this a lot. I've been at college on the opposite coast for the last two years and so am not as close to my family as I was in high school, but I am finding this situation rather ridiculous. I just canNOT wait to enter! I know this part is good... I know what I am called to do, and I am just so eager to jump in and start swimming... for Him! And yet, I am having a hard time resigning myself to the fact that I have two months left at home. I tend to get annoyed with my family and wish away this time with them - which I KNOW I'll regret come August! Do you have any more practical suggestions for me, of how to use these two months constructively? I am in close contact with the 15-or-so other young women who may be entering with me, and that just furthers my anticipation! Sorry this post is a little jumbled... hope it makes sense!

-Carly

gaelic hymn ?

um though living that type of life, how do you have a computer?

No, not gaelic, but lovely and symbolic...

As for the basic laptop: why do you ask?
( I am taking your question seriously and not as a kind of cynical comment such as some make)
Far, far less invasive than TV, radio or the telephone, or than physical callers... and cheaper also...I have significant phsyical disability so some form of contact is vital to allow me full the full independence and solitude I need for my work of prayer. We have to keep in touch somehow with eg food supplies and with my Mother House in Canada; I have no local Church support etc..... For example, my shopping is done by a friend about 30 miles away every three months. I email the list to him.....
Fast and easy. So little time spent on these practicaliites and so no real distraction. Which is the reason for the simplicity. To spnd as little time on physical things as possible. To free time for prayer....
We Monastics are very practical people; we have to be....and we are flesh and blood, as Jesus was. I am sure Saint Clare would have loved a laptop... Imagine her in bed mailing the Vatican..
Or Julian of Norwich emailing anchoresses in other towns... They all wrote letters too, you know...
These things are given to use to use for His glory. My website brings me to people in need as Julian's window did to her. So many out there with terrible pain and problems, seeking prayer and the love of Jesus. it would break the heart were it nt that we know Jesus can and does heal through our prayer.. Also!! The whole Bible is online on sound files, so when my eyes are too tired to read, i can listen to the Word of God here. Blessings this night to all here.....