An Old School Catholic Message Board

Harry Potter

Dudette

Brother Adam

No, I think he's just as sick as I am of the self-righteousness.

I frankly don't really care if people read it or not. If it is going to be an occassion to sin then don't.

Edited by Brother Adam

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:16 PM']Did anyone say you were against the Pope? I didn't see anyone say that. Are you feeling guilty?
[right][snapback]642553[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The title implies that it's the "pope" group versus the "Harry Potter" group.

I'm a severe scrupulant. Don't even start on a guilt trip.

homeschoolmom

Holy cow, people... are we going to have this same argument every time a new book or movie comes out?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:19 PM']Holy cow, people... are we going to have this same argument every time a new book or movie comes out?
[right][snapback]642557[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'd rather not, but as I said, we don't like it when people say or imply that we're less Christian or somehow evil because we don't agree with them.

Brother Adam

That's just it HSmom, that's all it is. It's a popular book. There are thousands of books and movies that people will want to fight over because 'they are right'. Sleeping dogs just can't lie.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:18 PM']No, I think he's just as sick as I am of the self-righteousness.

I frankly don't really care if people read it or not. If it is going to be an occassion to sin then don't.
[right][snapback]642554[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What self rightousness? need some polish pot, because the kettles are plenty shiny.

Don John of Austria

[quote]The title implies that it's the "pope" group versus the "Harry Potter" group.

I'm a severe scrupulant. Don't even start on a guilt trip. [/quote]

No it implys nothing it says that the Pope is agianst the books which apparantly he is.

homeschoolmom

Whoa! Time out! Can we at least move this to the debate table? The name-calling and finger pointing is a little much for the Open mic...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:26 PM']No it implys nothing it says that the Pope is agianst the books which apparantly he is.
[right][snapback]642566[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The pope is not against the books, as far as we know.. Former Cardinal Ratzinger was.

Brother Adam

The Pope (nor Cardinal Ratzinger), as it is, hasn't told anyone not to read the books. But why don't we talk about something more fun than the poorly written Potter books - How about something like Walt Whitman. I mean should people really be reading that?!

Kilroy the Ninja

Wow.

This has been an amusing thread! Really!!! I've been laughing and laughing and laughing!!!

Thank you HSMom for trying to defuse the situation. Some people forget that we're all supposed to be CATHOLIC - together.

Nobody said anyone was less Catholic for reading Harry Potter. Nor was it implied. This was just for FYI. Something I saw and thought ya'll might be interested in.

Admittedly the Pope v. Harry Potter title was the sensationalistic liberal journalist in me just coming out. But most of the media pitted the Pope against HP today also.

Wow. Just wow.

Ya'll never cease to amaze and amuse me! :D

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:30 PM']The Pope (nor Cardinal Ratzinger), as it is, hasn't told anyone not to read the books. But why don't we talk about something more fun than the poorly written Potter books - How about something like Walt Whitman. I mean should people really be reading that?!
[right][snapback]642573[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, but that's another thread altogether.

And just a hint: don't get Don John started on the evil that is "Catcher in the Rye".....

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:34 PM']No, but that's another thread altogether. 

And just a hint: don't get Don John started on the evil that is "Catcher in the Rye".....
[right][snapback]642577[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh my word... what a horrible, horrible book...