Don John of Austria Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:18 PM']No, I think he's just as sick as I am of the self-righteousness. I frankly don't really care if people read it or not. If it is going to be an occassion to sin then don't. [right][snapback]642554[/snapback][/right] [/quote] What self rightousness? need some polish pot, because the kettles are plenty shiny.
Don John of Austria Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote]The title implies that it's the "pope" group versus the "Harry Potter" group. I'm a severe scrupulant. Don't even start on a guilt trip. [/quote] No it implys nothing it says that the Pope is agianst the books which apparantly he is.
homeschoolmom Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 Whoa! Time out! Can we at least move this to the debate table? The name-calling and finger pointing is a little much for the Open mic...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:26 PM']No it implys nothing it says that the Pope is agianst the books which apparantly he is. [right][snapback]642566[/snapback][/right] [/quote] The pope is not against the books, as far as we know.. Former Cardinal Ratzinger was.
Brother Adam Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 The Pope (nor Cardinal Ratzinger), as it is, hasn't told anyone not to read the books. But why don't we talk about something more fun than the poorly written Potter books - How about something like Walt Whitman. I mean should people really be reading that?!
Kilroy the Ninja Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 Wow. This has been an amusing thread! Really!!! I've been laughing and laughing and laughing!!! Thank you HSMom for trying to defuse the situation. Some people forget that we're all supposed to be CATHOLIC - together. Nobody said anyone was less Catholic for reading Harry Potter. Nor was it implied. This was just for FYI. Something I saw and thought ya'll might be interested in. Admittedly the Pope v. Harry Potter title was the sensationalistic liberal journalist in me just coming out. But most of the media pitted the Pope against HP today also. Wow. Just wow. Ya'll never cease to amaze and amuse me!
Kilroy the Ninja Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:30 PM']The Pope (nor Cardinal Ratzinger), as it is, hasn't told anyone not to read the books. But why don't we talk about something more fun than the poorly written Potter books - How about something like Walt Whitman. I mean should people really be reading that?! [right][snapback]642573[/snapback][/right] [/quote] No, but that's another thread altogether. And just a hint: don't get Don John started on the evil that is "Catcher in the Rye".....
homeschoolmom Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:34 PM']No, but that's another thread altogether. And just a hint: don't get Don John started on the evil that is "Catcher in the Rye"..... [right][snapback]642577[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Oh my word... what a horrible, horrible book...
Brother Adam Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 (edited) I feel like burning books. Who's with me. Then we can all be saints. Edited July 14, 2005 by Brother Adam
Fidei Defensor Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:38 PM']I feel like burning books. Who's with me. Then we can all be saints. [right][snapback]642582[/snapback][/right] [/quote] We need an old fashioned book burning.
Kilroy the Ninja Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 I never said burn them (although Don John just quipped that if ya'll are burning Catcher in the Rye he's there). I can't read HP. I tried. All I wanted to do was correct the writing mistakes I saw. As stories go though, I found them entertaining (saw all of the movies and would like to see Goblet of Fire). I realize the books are supposedly "better than the movies" but eh. I can't stand her writing style. Ya'll just get way too worked up over silly unimportant stuff. And believe me, Harry Potter is silly, unimportant stuff.
homeschoolmom Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:38 PM']I feel like burning books. Who's with me. Then we can all be saints. [right][snapback]642582[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I don't think anyone was advocating book burning... Until FD piped in...
homeschoolmom Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 So, if I believe a book to be horrible then it follows that I want to burn it?
Thy Geekdom Come Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:47 PM']So, if I believe a book to be horrible then it follows that I want to burn it? [right][snapback]642596[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Can you even burn a book? Do books float?
Don John of Austria Posted July 14, 2005 Posted July 14, 2005 [quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:29 PM']The pope is not against the books, as far as we know.. Former Cardinal Ratzinger was. [right][snapback]642572[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I a not even going to delve into the truely scary level of crazy that that post is, what do you think that Razinger just suddenly changed when he was elected poof he is different person? Joseph Ratzinger is Benedict XVI and while his writings as Cardnial where not Authoritive in the same way as his writings as the Pope, they are still his writings and without a renunciation of them it is certianly reasonable to call them the Popes views.
Recommended Posts