An Old School Catholic Message Board

Harry Potter

Dudette

Brother Adam

I feel like burning books. Who's with me. Then we can all be saints. :saint:

Edited by Brother Adam

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:38 PM']I feel like burning books. Who's with me. Then we can all be saints. :saint:
[right][snapback]642582[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
We need an old fashioned book burning.

Kilroy the Ninja

I never said burn them (although Don John just quipped that if ya'll are burning Catcher in the Rye he's there).

I can't read HP. I tried. All I wanted to do was correct the writing mistakes I saw. As stories go though, I found them entertaining (saw all of the movies and would like to see Goblet of Fire). I realize the books are supposedly "better than the movies" but eh. I can't stand her writing style.

Ya'll just get way too worked up over silly unimportant stuff. And believe me, Harry Potter is silly, unimportant stuff.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:38 PM']I feel like burning books. Who's with me. Then we can all be saints. :saint:
[right][snapback]642582[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think anyone was advocating book burning... Until FD piped in...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:47 PM']So, if I believe a book to be horrible then it follows that I want to burn it?
[right][snapback]642596[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Can you even burn a book? Do books float?

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:29 PM']The pope is not against the books, as far as we know..  Former Cardinal Ratzinger was.
[right][snapback]642572[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I a not even going to delve into the truely scary level of crazy that that post is, what do you think that Razinger just suddenly changed when he was elected poof he is different person? Joseph Ratzinger is Benedict XVI and while his writings as Cardnial where not Authoritive in the same way as his writings as the Pope, they are still his writings and without a renunciation of them it is certianly reasonable to call them the Popes views.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:47 PM']So, if I believe a book to be horrible then it follows that I want to burn it?
[right][snapback]642596[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well Catcher in the Rye is precisly that horrible. I have burned that book and will most likly continue to do so when given the oppertunity but it is not that I think they all should be burned I just really really despise that book and by destroying copies I hope to prevent at least someone from being exposed to the horror that is that book.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:59 PM']Can you even burn a book?  Do books float?
[right][snapback]642612[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think the more appropriate question would be does a Harry Potter book wiegh the same as a duck!

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jul 13 2005, 10:49 PM']Well Catcher in the Rye is precisly that horrible. I have burned that book and will most likly continue to do so when given the oppertunity but it is not that I think they all should be burned I just really really despise that book and by destroying copies I hope to prevent at least someone from being exposed to the horror that is that book.
[right][snapback]642656[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, well....let me tell you something. I had to read that horrible excuse for a book my Junior [b]AND[/b] Senior year of high school. I thought reading it Junior year was bad enough. But no....I get to Senior year and my teacher gives us the list of books we'll be reading throughout the year and that same book is on there. We told him we had already read the abomination but he said it would do us "good" to read it again. It would have also been "good" to put a bullet in my head except my faith prevents me from doing so.