An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

[url="http://books.google.com/books?id=auT8VbgOe48C&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Filioque:+History+of+a+Doctrinal+Controversy&hl=en&ei=wak2TOmZKIT7nAf095DaAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false"]The Filioque: History of a Doctrinal Controversy[/url]

laetitia crucis

Just read [i]Forever Odd[/i] by Dean Koontz. It was "okay".

I think I'd like the next book in the series better: [i]Brother Odd[/i]. Odd Thomas goes to the monastery to fight demons/bodachs.

Sounds like my cuppa tea.

TeresaBenedicta

[i]Church History[/i] by Fr. John Laux

That's a huge weak point for me. It's a good read, very easy but very thorough.

[url="http://books.google.com/books?id=C0hpKfC8uM4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+icon+in+the+life+of+the+church&hl=en&ei=6xBCTO2WG4TEsAO2lIiQDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false"]The Icon in the Life of the Church[/url]

I've FINALLY finished the autobiography of Teresa of Jesus. Now to finish the Way of Perfection and the Interior Castle. I've ordered God the Joy of my Life by Teresa of the Andes and hope it arrives soon.

lookingforfaith

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='10 July 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1278818246' post='2141046']
Just read [i]Forever Odd[/i] by Dean Koontz. It was "okay".

I think I'd like the next book in the series better: [i]Brother Odd[/i]. Odd Thomas goes to the monastery to fight demons/bodachs.

Sounds like my cuppa tea.
[/quote]

Brother Odd ROCKED!!!!!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='25 July 2010 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1280091880' post='2147953']
Brother Odd ROCKED!!!!!
[/quote]

Next time I get to the library, I'll be checking that out! :woot:

I just read [i]Odd Thomas[/i] and really enjoyed it. :thumbsup: (I know, reading it out of order... oh well. Haha!)

Also recently finished [i]Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows[/i]. 'Twas AWESOME. Definitely my favorite of the entire HP series (with [i]Goblet of Fire[/i] in a close second place).

Aaaand I'm currently reading [i]LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring[/i]. Love. It's like finally coming home again after a long journey away.

loveletslive

i read [i]Basilica: The Splendor and the Scandal: Building St. Peter's[/i] by R.A. Scotti before my pilgrimage to Italy & i am currently reading [i]The Thrill of the Chaste: Finding Fulfillment While Keeping Your Clothes On[/i] by Dawn Eden. i heard her speak at a young adult conference recently.

laetitia crucis

Just finished [i]LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring[/i].

On to [i]LOTR: The Two Towers[/i]

Love.

Guest betsygrace

I also (like many of you it seems) have the habit of reading more than one book at a time:
[u]The Girl Who Played with Fire[/u] by Stieg Larsson

[u]Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within[/u] by Thomas Dubay

Both are really good, especially Prayer Primer (not that I'm a beginner in prayer but it's definitely a good refresher), however I must admit Larsson's books can get so gruesome sometimes.

Does anyone know of any good devotional books to read as a couple? My husband and I are looking for one right now.

[i]Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body [/i]by Pope John Paul II (Pauline Books and Media, Boston)

and

[i]Sacrosanctum Concilium[/i]

Non-Religious:

[i]English Literature; the Norton Anthology[/i], Sixth Edition, Volume 2
(Actually, I don't recommend it. I'm more of a non-short-story, fantasy sort of person)

Edited by Tally Marx

TeresaBenedicta

[i]St. Faustina's Diary[/i]

[i]The Catechist's Toolbox[/i]

And I just finished [i]The Mystery We Proclaim[/i].

LaPetiteSoeur

Because my pastor believes I should have a full theological education by the end of the summer...

[i]Mere Christianity
Doing FaithJustice
The Oresteia (for school)

[/i]I also read
[i]My Life with the Saints
The Screwtape Letters
The People's History of Christianity[/i]