An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

laetitia crucis

I am almost finished with [i][url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/DOM-P/saint-dominic.aspx"]Saint Dominic: The Grace of the Word[/url][/i]. It is AWESOME.

:twothumbsup:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='21 May 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1274484636' post='2114927']
I am almost finished with [i][url="http://www.ignatius.com/Products/DOM-P/saint-dominic.aspx"]Saint Dominic: The Grace of the Word[/url][/i]. It is AWESOME.

:twothumbsup:
[/quote]

+1

[i]Loooooved[/i] that book!!! I read it last summer along with another book on St. Dominic... Ahh, there's still so much Dominican in me!!

TeresaBenedicta

I just started [i]Perfectae Caritatis[/i]. I'm hoping to get my hands on Stephen Long's [i]Natura Pura[/i], but it's really expensive ($52 on Amazon!).

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='24 May 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1274738337' post='2116706']
+1

[i]Loooooved[/i] that book!!! I read it last summer along with another book on St. Dominic... Ahh, there's still so much Dominican in me!!
[/quote]

I would say this is a very good thing! ;)

My goals for the summer...

Finish...

[i]A Primer on the Absolute Primacy of Christ[/i] by Fr. Maximilian Mary Dean, FI
[i]Spirit of the Liturgy[/i] by Cardinal Ratzinger
[i]Theology of History in St. Bonaventure[/i] by Cardinal Ratzinger
[i]The Glory of the Lord [/i]by Hans Urs von Balthasar

Reread...

[i]The Mariology of Bl. John Duns Scotus[/i] by Fr. Ruggero Rossini, OFM

Start (and hopefully finish!)

[i]Treasure in Clay[/i] by Fulton J. Sheen
[i]He Leadeth Me[/i] by Walter Ciszek, SJ

It's a little ambitious I think, considering I've hardly read anything in the past year... Well, hardly anything that isn't phatmass posts and blogs and such things. :lol: But, I figure if it's too ambitious, I'll still be likely to read more than if I wasn't ambitious enough, even if I don't finish everything.

laetitia crucis

Ooooo -- nice list, zunshynn!

:clapping:

I admit, I'm even a little envious of the books you'll be reading and all that you'll be learning! ;)

Once I have some financial things taken care of, I really want to get [i]A Primer on the Absolute Primacy of Christ[/i] by Fr. Maximilian Mary Dean, FI. :woot:

[quote name='zunshynn' date='27 May 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1274993945' post='2119273']
My goals for the summer...

Start (and hopefully finish!)

[i]Treasure in Clay[/i] by Fulton J. Sheen
[i]He Leadeth Me[/i] by Walter Ciszek, SJ

It's a little ambitious I think, considering I've hardly read anything in the past year... Well, hardly anything that isn't phatmass posts and blogs and such things. :lol: But, I figure if it's too ambitious, I'll still be likely to read more than if I wasn't ambitious enough, even if I don't finish everything.
[/quote]

Im 3/4 of the way through Treasure in Clay and I would love to read either book by Walter Ciszek! Have you read With God in Russia, and if so how was it?

[quote name='vee8' date='31 May 2010 - 08:11 AM' timestamp='1275315078' post='2121147']
Im 3/4 of the way through Treasure in Clay and I would love to read either book by Walter Ciszek! Have you read With God in Russia, and if so how was it?
[/quote]

I have not read With God in Russia... I decided to read He Leadeth Me first because it's my understanding that he talks more about his spiritual growth and his relationship with God in that one, whereas With God in Russia is more just describing his ordeals.

[quote]Ooooo -- nice list, zunshynn!

:clapping:

I admit, I'm even a little envious of the books you'll be reading and all that you'll be learning! ;)

Once I have some financial things taken care of, I really want to get A Primer on the Absolute Primacy of Christ by Fr. Maximilian Mary Dean, FI. :woot:[/quote]

A Primer is really, really, REALLY good. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

[i]Essay's on Plato and Aristotle[/i] by J.L. Ackrill
[i]Reference and Description: The Case Against Two-Dimensionalism[/i] by Scott Soames
[i]The Recalcitrant Imago Dei: Human Persons and the Failure of Naturalism[/i] by J.P. Moreland

TeresaBenedicta

[i]The Three Ages of the Interior Life[/i] by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.

Still waiting for my copy of [i]Natura Pura[/i] by Steven Long to come in.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='01 June 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1275431253' post='2122336']
[b][i]The Three Ages of the Interior Life[/i] by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P.
[/b]

Still waiting for my copy of [i]Natura Pura[/i] by Steven Long to come in.
[/quote]

I want [i]Three Ages[/i] SO badly. :lol: I read bits while in the convent, and one of our priests (who taught multiple classes for us) liked to quote Garrigou-Lagrange a lot, in particular this book. :woot:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 June 2010 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1275651098' post='2123573']
I want [i]Three Ages[/i] SO badly. :lol: I read bits while in the convent, and one of our priests (who taught multiple classes for us) liked to quote Garrigou-Lagrange a lot, in particular this book. :woot:
[/quote]

Oh!! Oh, [i]excellent[/i]!! Garrigou-Lagrange is [i]an amazing[/i] Thomist. He is the master of Grace-- I'm excited that he's used. Unfortunately there are few that adhere to his (and a few others') interpretation of Thomas (which is the traditional one). So many lose the distinction between the natural and supernatural orders... and thus also lose the true importance of grace...

Steven Long is another one.

Anywho, I'm absolutely [i]loving[/i] 'Three Ages.' I wish I had a hard copy of it, 'cause I'm not a huge fan of reading things online. But, oh well.