An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

I ordered [i]Jesus Appeals to the World[/i] the other day, and it came today, way sooner than expected... and coincidentally, her birthday is tomorrow! :saint:

So I'm reading that again.

I'm also reading Sheen's [i]Life of Christ[/i] and [i]Fire of Mercy, Heart of the Word[/i] still. I've also been poking my head in JP2's theology of the body a lot lately, and I'm still reading [i]Seeing the Form[/i] by von Balthasar.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 April 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1270479661' post='2086936']
:lol: I think Ignatius "claimed" me in the very beginning of my conversion. [/quote]

This. I used to think that the saints were sitting around waiting for us to like them but what you wrote expresses my current understanding of these things. My understanding being that the saints are actively working for us to draw us closer to Christ. They take into account our personality and situation in life then someone we find we can relate to, like you with Ignatius, comes along. I guess when the time comes that you would need the help of someone like Teresa you`ll find the barriers are gone. For me right now its like Ignatius is my spiritual father, and
Teresa my spiritual mother (even though Im not worthy of such people) so I feel a kind of familiarity that takes away the intimidation. I hope that made sense :topsy:

[quote]2. [b]Louis Marie de Montfort[/b] -- He showed me how to love our Blessed Mother. (The enlightenment I gained from Louis about our Blessed Mother earned him the #2 spot.... I think I am indebted to him. Mary was my last surrender. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif[/img] I was reluctant to give in to the Mary-love. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/paperbag.gif[/img] )[/quote]

LOL resistance is futile! I basically just tried to ignore her which is stupid because what mother wants their child to ignore them! So I got hit too :cupidhit: and am now a happily devoted daughter. :yes:

Oh I guess I should answer the thread question which book am I reading? I just finished A Right to be Merry. Good stuff.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='06 April 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1270595125' post='2087978']
This. I used to think that the saints were sitting around waiting for us to like them but what you wrote expresses my current understanding of these things. My understanding being that the saints are actively working for us to draw us closer to Christ. They take into account our personality and situation in life then someone we find we can relate to, like you with Ignatius, comes along. I guess when the time comes that you would need the help of someone like Teresa you`ll find the barriers are gone. For me right now its like Ignatius is my spiritual father, and Teresa my spiritual mother (even though Im not worthy of such people) so I feel a kind of familiarity that takes away the intimidation. I hope that made sense :topsy: [/quote]

So, I see you have been adopted by Spanish parents. :clap: :guitar: Please tell St. Teresa "Hi!" for me. I tried stalking her through her books and that reeeally long Spanish mini-series. :sweat: But alas, it is not my time to be her daughter.

Thom is phlegmatic -- he doesn't mind me tagging along. :bike: Sometimes I feel like I could be his annoying little sister. "But whyyyy?"

And what you said makes SO much sense to me! I suppose it's kind of like knowing that God will always give you that specific necessary grace exactly when you need it. :idea:

[quote name='vee8']LOL resistance is futile! I basically just tried to ignore her which is stupid because what mother wants their child to ignore them! So I got hit too :cupidhit: and am now a happily devoted daughter. :yes: [/quote]

:woot: Mary's Immaculate Heart will always triumph! :love:

[quote name='vee8']Oh I guess I should answer the thread question which book am I reading? I just finished [i]A Right to be Merry[/i]. Good stuff.
[/quote]

I heartily enjoyed reading that book! It definitely helped bring closure to any inkling of a possible contemplative vocation for me. Such a beautiful book, writing of a beautiful vocation! One of my favorites. :twothumbsup:

Covenant and Communion by Scott Hahn

When I started reading it, I was despondent. I had hit a problem with my thesis that seemed insurmountable. Then I read the prologue...Dr. Hahn spoke of hitting a similar problem with his dissertation, and how badly he was reacting to it. Eventually he laid out how he handled it as a Catholic...I followed the stuff he did, and prayed a great deal, finally taking a break to just relax. The solution came to me as I curled up with a completely unrelated book.

Saint Therese

I'm re-re-re reading [i][b]Such a Vision of the Street [/b][/i]by Eileen Eagan, about Mother Teresa.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='07 April 2010 - 09:24 AM' timestamp='1270596265' post='2087982']
So, I see you have been adopted by Spanish parents. :clap: :guitar: [/quote] Ya somehow :rolling: :help:

[quote]Please tell St. Teresa "Hi!" for me. I tried stalking her through her books and that reeeally long Spanish mini-series. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img] But alas, it is not my time to be her daughter. [/quote]

You tried to stalk her, I tried to run away! I wanted to hate the miniseries, now Ive watched it 2-3 times :mellow: Im also on chapter 300 or so of her autobiography <_<
[quote]Thom is phlegmatic -- he doesn't mind me tagging along. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/bike.gif[/img] Sometimes I feel like I could be his annoying little sister. "But whyyyy?"[/quote]

:lol: :thumbsup:

TeresaBenedicta

I've been reading Vol. II of Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity's works (mostly composed of her letters). And I've just been assigned [i]Abandonment to Divine Providence[/i] by Jean-Pierre de Caussade by my spiritual director.

Academically I'm currently reading:
[i]After Virtue[/i] by MacIntyre
[i]Introduction to Christianity[/i] by Ratzinger
Kant's [i]Grounding of the Metaphysics of Morals[/i] or whatever it's titled, lol
[i]Nichomachean Ethics[/i]

And probably some other things I should be reading but haven't been keeping up with.

I've been doing a lot of research with St. Bernard of Clairvaux and his mystical theology, and for a different class, a lot of research on Catholic Identity within Catholic Universities (Ex Corde Ecclesiae, and other documents)

[quote name='zunshynn' date='05 April 2010 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1270512433' post='2087312']
I ordered [i]Jesus Appeals to the World[/i] the other day, and it came today, way sooner than expected... and coincidentally, her birthday is tomorrow! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

So I'm reading that again.

I'm also reading Sheen's [i]Life of Christ[/i] and [i]Fire of Mercy, Heart of the Word[/i] still. I've also been poking my head in JP2's theology of the body a lot lately, and I'm still reading [i]Seeing the Form[/i] by von Balthasar.
[/quote]

I forgot I'm reading [i]Life of Christ[/i] also! I haven't been reading it in order, though, what with Holy Week and all.

• 3 weeks later...
laetitia crucis

[i]The Dialogues[/i] of St. Catherine of Siena

I feel like I've neglected her for such a long time. To me she's [i]so [/i]super-holy that I've had a really hard time even wanting to get to know her. :blush:

I respect her, but wow.... :notworthy: I feel like I really need to warm up to her and "make friends" so to say.

So. This is my attempt.

:sign:

[i]A Primer on the Absolute Primacy of Christ: Blessed John Duns Scotus and the Franciscan Thesis[/i] by Fr. Maximilian Mary Dean, FI - EPIC! :woot:

[i]The Spirit of the Liturgy[/i] by Cardinal Ratzinger

[i]Theology of History in St. Bonaventure[/i] by Cardinal Ratzinger

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 April 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1272254546' post='2100149']
[i]The Dialogues[/i] of St. Catherine of Siena[/quote]
:shock: One of my favorite books of all time!

[quote name='zunshynn' date='26 April 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1272254995' post='2100152']
[i]A Primer on the Absolute Primacy of Christ: Blessed John Duns Scotus and the Franciscan Thesis[/i] by Fr. Maximilian Mary Dean, FI - EPIC! :woot:

[i]The Spirit of the Liturgy[/i] by Cardinal Ratzinger

[i]Theology of History in St. Bonaventure[/i] by Cardinal Ratzinger
[/quote]
:shock: WoW!! That's level 80 Paladin epickness! You have amazing taste imo.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='26 April 2010 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1272255984' post='2100164']
Imitation of Christ[/quote]
:shock: Another of my favorite books of all time!

:notworthy:

I'm reading a lot right now:

the Imitation of Christ
the Imitation of Mary
Interior Castile
different parts of the Bible
and I'm trying to get through Vita Consecrata.

:)