An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='19 March 2010 - 01:27 PM' timestamp='1269016039' post='2075703']
I know, same here. I've never read anything about her. :shock:
What's your favorite all time saint biography?
[/quote]

Ooooh...good question!!

Even though he's not a saint (YET! ;) ), my favorite autobiography is Fulton Sheen's [i]Treasure in Clay[/i]. :love:

By favorite biography of an already-canonized saint is one of St. Ignatius Loyola (my favorite saint! :sword: ): [url="http://www.amazon.com/First-Jesuit-Ignatius-1491-1556-request/dp/082940371X"][i]The First Jesuit: St. Ignatius Loyola, 1491 - 1556[/i][/url] by Mary Purcell. I already had a great love for and devotion to St. Ignatius before finding that book, but after reading it -- wow -- I felt I was able to really know Ignatius as a regular human being. (Though a super-holy one, of course. :saint: )

Before my conversion to Catholicism, I had read a few articles by Fr. John Hardon, S.J. I was curious about what the letters after his name meant, and therefore turned to research. Soon enough, I found out about the Jesuits and St. Ignatius. From that point on, I think Ignatius adopted me. :love: (May St. Ignatius grant us faithful sons of Holy Mother Church to follow in his footsteps!!! :sign: )

What's your favorite saint biography (or autobiography)?

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='19 March 2010 - 01:27 PM' timestamp='1269016039' post='2075703']
I know, same here. I've never read anything about her. :shock:
What's your favorite all time saint biography?
[/quote]

P.S. -- :bigshock:

We should be ashamed of ourselves!!!

:spanking: :rolling:

Edited by laetitia crucis

Saint Therese

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 March 2010 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1269018067' post='2075726']
What's your favorite saint biography (or autobiography)?
[/quote]

[i][b]Saint Teresa of Avila[/b][/i] by Marcelle Auclair. It is truly beautifully written and informative. :love:

Edited by Saint Therese

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='19 March 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1269018392' post='2075732']
[i][b]Saint Teresa of Avila[/b][/i] by Marcelle Auclair. It is truly beautifully written and informative. :love:
[/quote]

*adds to The List*

She is one saint that I have greatly admired, but unfortunately, have never grown close to -- even after reading many of her writings. :sadder: Here's hoping that I'll be able to find that book and get to know her (and love her) better! Thanks, Saint Therese!! :)

Saint Therese

I find it ironic that I'm called to be a Dominican since all my favorite saints are Carmelites.. :love::kitten::scratchhead::idontknow:
Your welcome!

Edited by Saint Therese

Guest HosannaInExcelsis

Like many, I am reading parts of many books one after another. Sometimes I come back to a certain book where I was at after having read parts of other books. Yesterday, for instance, I was reading Honey From The Rock by Roy Schoeman. I was reading Br. Bob Fishman's conversion story. The night before I had read Rosalind Moss', and I was re-reading it because in a discussion with a friend we were wondering whether she used to be married or not, I thought she was not, and her account seems to prove me right.

• 2 weeks later...
Saint Therese

I've been reading that book also, and I think its great.

Now I"m re-reading a book about Bl. Teresa of Calcutta: [i]Such a Vision of the Street[/i] by Eileen Eagan. This book is out of print, but worth finding. It gives a lot of details that aren't found in most books about Bl. Teresa, since Ms. Eagan was a lifelong close and personal friend of hers.

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 March 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1269018067' post='2075726']
Even though he's not a saint (YET! ;) ), my favorite autobiography is Fulton Sheen's [i]Treasure in Clay[/i]. :love: [/quote]

I don't really read a lot of autobiographies or biographies, but I kept seeing you recommend this, so I decided to check it out today. :bigshock: It's AMAZING! That first couple of pages about how the crucifix is his real autobiography... Epic. Truly. Breathtaking. :woot:

[quote]What's your favorite saint biography (or autobiography)?
[/quote]

I really like Clare and Her Sisters: Lovers of the Poor Christ by Madeline Pecora Nugent and Forget Not Love: the Passion of Maximilian Kolbe by Andre Frossard... both are biographical in nature, but the style is more like a novel. They both are incredibly powerful.

Edited by zunshynn

eustace scrubb

the catechism
dune: god emperor/f. herbert
brothers karamazov/a. doestoevsky
thoughts in solitude/t. merton

may be starting soon:

maus 1

At the moment: The Spirit of the Liturgy - Kardinal Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI)

He makes some interesting points, especially about the Liturgical East. What confuses me, though, is the fact that he utters pretty heavy criticism on the Missa versus populum while the practise is in fact supported by the Magisterium (isn't it?). I do agree with him that the Mass said ad orientem has very rich symbolical value and is more in line with the Tradition of the Apostles.

An interesting read.

+Pax
Ben

laetitia crucis

[quote name='zunshynn' date='29 March 2010 - 03:30 PM' timestamp='1269887418' post='2082737']
I don't really read a lot of autobiographies or biographies, but I kept seeing you recommend this, so I decided to check it out today. :bigshock: It's AMAZING! That first couple of pages about how the crucifix is his real autobiography... Epic. Truly. Breathtaking. :woot: [/quote]

:love: :love: :love: I cannot even begin to express how much joy this brings me. :yahoo:

Those very first pages are [i]exactly [/i]what hooked me into reading the rest of it. Profound. :yes: I practically [i]devoured [/i]that book.

Fulton Sheen is my hero. :saint:

After I finished it, I wanted to buy multiple copies to give to every one I knew. :lol: I'm still pondering the possibility of buying enough for a few of my closest Catholic friends. :think:

[quote name='zunshynn']I really like Clare and Her Sisters: Lovers of the Poor Christ by Madeline Pecora Nugent and Forget Not Love: the Passion of Maximilian Kolbe by Andre Frossard... both are biographical in nature, but the style is more like a novel. They both are incredibly powerful.
[/quote]

That first book is one I've been recommended to read before -- by one of my friends that entered the Poor Clares (Arlington) last September! I need to check it out. :yes: And I've also been wanting to find a really good biographical book on Maximilian Kolbe. That one you mentioned sounds like my kind of book! I tend to prefer a more novel-like style, too. *adds to wislist* Thanks, zunshynn!! :D

Edited by laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='20 March 2010 - 03:21 AM' timestamp='1269019286' post='2075749']
*adds to The List*

She is one saint that I have greatly admired, but unfortunately, have never grown close to -- even after reading many of her writings. :sadder: Here's hoping that I'll be able to find that book and get to know her (and love her) better! Thanks, Saint Therese!! :)
[/quote]

Hmmm.... interesting... are you able to laugh at her much? For me once I was able to laugh at something Therese & Teresa wrote it was like a wall came down and there grew a connection with them that I never expected or really wanted because I thought they were both kinda :crazy: ^_^

Ignatius is your favorite?! What happened to poor Aquinas?

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='05 April 2010 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1270477742' post='2086926']
Hmmm.... interesting... are you able to laugh at her much? For me once I was able to laugh at something Therese & Teresa wrote it was like a wall came down and there grew a connection with them that I never expected or really wanted because I thought they were both kinda :crazy: ^_^

Ignatius is your favorite?! What happened to poor Aquinas?
[/quote]

:lol: I think Ignatius "claimed" me in the very beginning of my conversion. He revealed himself through the ever-remarkable Fr. John Hardon, S.J. ;) Ignatius is the first saint I found out about simply by my curiosity in the letters "S.J.". Once I found out Fr. Hardon was a Jesuit, then I wanted know what that even meant... who founded that Order, what they did, and why they did what they did, etc. The rest, as they say, is history. :hehe: Hmmm... I never realized this before, but perhaps my initial affinity for him comes from my upbringing as a military brat. :scratchhead: I guess something must have been ingrained in me all these years.

Soon after, I found out Ignatius shares my temperament... and was successfully able to overcame many of it's pitfalls. I think I remember reading that by the end of his life, many thought he was a phlegmatic sanguine -- if that's not something for me to hope for, I don't know what is! :lol_pound:

Here's my Top Three (of my Top Ten):

1. [b]Ignatius [/b]-- He showed me how to love God as a "soldier of Christ". :sword: Tender, yet fierce. Always in truth. A.M.D.G.!!!
2. [b]Louis Marie de Montfort[/b] -- He showed me how to love our Blessed Mother. (The enlightenment I gained from Louis about our Blessed Mother earned him the #2 spot.... I think I am indebted to him. Mary was my last surrender. :blush: I was reluctant to give in to the Mary-love. :paperbag: )
3. [b]Good ol' Thomas[/b] :love: -- He continually teaches me how to [i]know[/i] God, and therefore, love Him even more than I knew was possible. As time goes on, though... I have a feeling he will eventually overtake Louis' spot. Aquinas invigorates me like no other. He stole my heart when I encountered Thomistic philosophy. It was like a whole new state of being descended on my little brain. Thomistic philosophy is my "drug" of choice. :cloud9:

-----

I am very easily able to laugh at (and with) Teresa of Avila (and Therese); however, I don't know.... I guess the difficulty for me is getting past her mystical experiences. (When I found out Ignatius and Louis had mystical experiences... I was a tad taken aback. :unsure: But then this happened: :getaclue: Hah!) I have the same difficulty with Catherine of Siena as I do Teresa. Perhaps it's the style of writing or something, but I have a very hard time really connecting to them and endearing myself to them. Maybe I'm just intimidated. :hehehe: They're like, SUPER SAINTS. All is I see is that HUGE mountain before me, and I can't even make it to the top of my [i]wee[/i] anthill. :birds: