An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

KeenanParkerII

20th Century Europe, A Contemporary History
Classical Islamic Civilization

Both are fascinating! I'm sort of cheating though because it is assigned reading.

• 2 weeks later...
TeresaBenedicta

A lot of different books (the joys of being back in school).

School:
[i]The Origin of Species[/i] by Charles Darwin
[i]Beyond the New Morality[/i] by Germain Grisez
[i]Right or Reason[/i] by Fr. Fagothy, S.J.
[i]The Nichomechean Ethics[/i] by Aristotle
[i]The Drama of Atheist Humanism[/i] by Henri de Lubac
[i]The Making of Modern Economic[/i] by Skousen

Non-Academic:
[i]Elizabeth of the Trinity: The Complete Works Vol. 1[/i]

Loving them all.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='31 January 2010 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1264957859' post='2048271']
I'm reading concurrently (re-reading) [i]Come Be My Light[/i], and [i]Backgrounds of European Literature[/i].
[/quote]

I've never felt a strong attraction to Mother Teresa (I admired her, of course, though just never quite "clicked"), but wanted to "know" her better, especially while in the convent. Reading [i]Come Be My Light[/i] was just amazing for me. After that, I think Mother Teresa definitely won a place in my heart. I mean, all I could say while reading that book was, "Wow." It gave such a profound understanding of what true joy is. :twothumbsup:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='31 January 2010 - 08:14 AM' timestamp='1264950895' post='2048211']
Non-Academic:
[i]Elizabeth of the Trinity: The Complete Works Vol. 1[/i]
[/quote]

I :love: Elizabeth of the Trinity. I first felt compelled to read her writings during my canonical year and I was very disappointed because I couldn't find any of them in the library... I was thrilled when I finally did. I really think that the Lord used that to prepare me to leave the monastery... by reminding me that even when I would no longer be able to spend so much time centered around the Blessed Sacrament, which it was so hard for me to imagine not having, that the Trinity dwells in every soul and that He would always be there.

I'm reading [i]Janson's History of Art[/i] Vol 1. & Vol. 2 concurrently (Both of which are FASCINATING... I'm currently reading about the Dutch Renaissance and the Neolithic cavepaintings, and [i]the Science of Nutrition[/i] (oh joy :rolleyes: It actually is fairly interesting though.)

And I'm still reading Ratzinger's [i]Theology of History in St. Bonaventure[/i]... (loving it!), and rereading Thomas of Celano's Life of St. Francis and [i]the Cantata of Love[/i] by Blaise Arminjon.

:nerd:

Edited by zunshynn

The Diary of St. Faustina, The Secret of the Rosary and True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis Marie DeMontfort. It's taking me awhile to get through each of these.
Also a novel, Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers.

Saint Therese

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 February 2010 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1265468827' post='2051938']
I've never felt a strong attraction to Mother Teresa (I admired her, of course, though just never quite "clicked"), but wanted to "know" her better, especially while in the convent. Reading [i]Come Be My Light[/i] was just amazing for me. After that, I think Mother Teresa definitely won a place in my heart. I mean, all I could say while reading that book was, "Wow." It gave such a profound understanding of what true joy is. :twothumbsup:
[/quote]

I've always been really impressed with her, but after reading [b][i]Come Be My Light[/i][/b], I acquired a new level of respect. IMHO I think Mother Teresa ranks up there with the great founders/foundresses of the Church such as St. Benedict, St. Francis,etc. Also, after reading the book I began to consider that because of her interior darkness, even ordinary daily activities became heroic acts of love for Mother. :love: I also read another great book about Mother Teresa : [b][i]Such a Vision of the Street[/i][/b]. Its out of print but you can find it on amazon.

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='08 February 2010 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1265647930' post='2053348']
I've always been really impressed with her, but after reading [b][i]Come Be My Light[/i][/b], I acquired a new level of respect. IMHO I think Mother Teresa ranks up there with the great founders/foundresses of the Church such as St. Benedict, St. Francis,etc. Also, after reading the book I began to consider that because of her interior darkness, even ordinary daily activities became heroic acts of love for Mother. :love: I also read another great book about Mother Teresa : [b][i]Such a Vision of the Street[/i][/b]. Its out of print but you can find it on amazon.
[/quote]

Mother Teresa was one of the first people that made me think about becoming Catholic. I am glad to be reminded about her. I would like to read that book, Come Be My Light, I have heard so many good things about it. I have A Simple Path which is a real blessing, I need to read more of that one.

Someone gave me the full Luke E. Hart series, from Knights of Columbus' Catholic Information Service. I'm doing the course online. Its pretty awesome.

Some of my all-time favorites which I continue to go back to are:

[i]Visits to the Most Blessed Sacrament and the Virgin Mary[/i] by St. Alphonsus. I particularly like the version done by Father Dennis Billy C.S.s.R.

[i]Bernadette Speaks[/i] by Rene Laurentin
[size="2"][font="Verdana"]
I'm trying to make my way through [i]Spe Salvi[/i] and [i]Deus Caritas Est[/i] again for Lent.
[/font][/size]

Marie-Therese

I am almost done with [u]I Believe In Love[/u] by Fr. Jean d'Elbee. Absolutely wonderful book. After that one is done I have Gallagher's [u]The Discernment of Spirits[/u] on deck.

Daily I use [u]Divine Intimacy[/u] by Fr. Gabriel and the daily mass readings and meditation in [i]Magnificat[/i]. The meditations are usually very concise and apropos. I also say Lauds, Vespers and Compline from the single volume US breviary Christian Prayer. I have never been disciplined enough (or find enough time) to add in the Office of Readings but I am going to try. I also have a brochure that has a reading plan to read the entire Bible and Catechism simultaneously in a year that I have had for a while and wanted to try to commit to during Lent. It would be good to read both again thoroughly for Lectio. :)

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='14 February 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1266204675' post='2057363']
I am almost done with [u]I Believe In Love[/u] by Fr. Jean d'Elbee. Absolutely wonderful book. After that one is done I have Gallagher's [u]The Discernment of Spirits[/u] on deck.

Daily I use [u]Divine Intimacy[/u] by Fr. Gabriel and the daily mass readings and meditation in [i]Magnificat[/i]. The meditations are usually very concise and apropos. I also say Lauds, Vespers and Compline from the single volume US breviary Christian Prayer. I have never been disciplined enough (or find enough time) to add in the Office of Readings but I am going to try. I also have a brochure that has a reading plan to read the entire Bible and Catechism simultaneously in a year that I have had for a while and wanted to try to commit to during Lent. It would be good to read both again thoroughly for Lectio. :)
[/quote]

I went to a weekend retreat given by Father Gallagher during Lent one year on the discernment of spirits. I highly recommend his other books and if you ever see that he is speaking near you, it is definitely worth it to try to see him.

God Bless
Sister Marie

Marie-Therese

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='15 February 2010 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1266238049' post='2057471']
I went to a weekend retreat given by Father Gallagher during Lent one year on the discernment of spirits. I highly recommend his other books and if you ever see that he is speaking near you, it is definitely worth it to try to see him.

God Bless
Sister Marie
[/quote]

Thank you, Sister! I will definitely keep an eye out to see if he is engaged to speak near me any time in the future.