An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

I'm reading a wonderful little book called [i]Swimming with Scapulars[/i] by Matthew Lickona. You guys should go out and buy it right now.

And then there's [i]Wizards at War[/i] by Diane Duane. :)

CatherineM

We've gone back to reading Holy Sex now that finals are over. Just got done with the Faith Club, and am going to start the Shack next.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict

The Bible

The two edged sword(an interpretation on the old testament)

St. Philip Neri(TAN)

The story of a soul(st. Therese autobio)

Butlers lives of the saints

Marie-Therese

Rereading [i]Story of a Soul[/i] for I think the 4th or 5th time. Also read [i]Divine Intimacy[/i] as a daily devotional. Also [i]Bible[/i], [i]LOTH[/i], [i]Little Office of BVM.
[/i]

Finished [i]Hostage to the Devil[/i] by Fr. Malachi Martin. Very intense descriptions of exorcists and their struggles. Not a book for the faint of heart.

Reread [i]And Then There Were None[/i] by Agatha Christie. One of my faves.

I am trying to reattempt [i]Interior Castle[/i] by St. Teresa, but I have a hard time with this one. Anyone else have this problem? It's not that I can't appreciate a dense text, but for some reason I just can't get through this one. I've tried twice and quit. Hopefully third time will be the charm.

Also want to reread [i]To Kill A Mockingbird[/i]. IMHO, the best secular book ever written. It's not complicated, it's just beautiful.

[i]Imitation[/i] by Kempis is next up on the list. And whatever cereal box or label comes my way. LOL

jwingert72

I am reading [u]Christian Spirituality in the Catholic Tradition[/u] by Jordan Aumann for my graduate course with CDU. It is a beautiful overview of the history of Catholic Spirituality. I am enjoying though it is class reading. I think I will be doing a research paper on a Carmelite saint, so then my reading will become even more heavenly. :lol_roll: I love studying theology, a working towards my masters. Awesome stuff we get to study. :gradtalk:

jwingert72

I will be rereading the Imitation by Kempis for this class. It will be my third time. I have struggled with the Interior Castle before because of its density. I may tackle it for my research paper I haven't decided yet if I am writing on her or not. Considering I did a paper of the Little Flower in undergrad, I should probably move up to a higher interior. We will see. God Bless Marie-Terese in your spiritual readings.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done reading "The Shack" (not sure how I feel about it yet) and "Searching for and Maintaining Peace" (an amazing book that anyone should read if they are having issues with peace)

About to start reading..."The Handmaids Tale", "My Sister's Keeper", and "The Secret Life of Bees"

puellapaschalis

Finished [u]Pardon and Peace[/u] a few days ago, and am now on [u]A Key to the Doctrine of the Eucharist[/u].

• 2 weeks later...
laetitia crucis

[i]The Little Flowers of St. Francis[/i]

[i]The Life of St. Francis[/i] (and St. Thomas Aquinas) - G.K. Chesterton

[i]The Ascent to Mt. Carmel[/i] - St. John of the Cross (2nd time reading)

:book: I'm hoping to find [i]The Soul of the Apostolate[/i] sometime this summer, and also read [i]Diary of a Country Priest[/i].

The Bus Station

[i]Go in Peace[/i] by John Paul II

[i]The Weight of Glory[/i] by C.S. Lewis

[i]Orthodoxy[/i] by G.K. Chesterton

[i]Story of a Soul[/i] by St. Therese of Lisieux

[i]The Passion and Death of Jesus Christ[/i] by St. Alphonsus Liguori

[i]The Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila[/i]

Yeah... I have a hard time reading one book at a time :D

orthodoxrebel

Just started on [i]Love and Responsibility[/i] by Karol Wojtyla. Recently finished [i]Dune[/i] and [i]Dune Messiah[/i] by Frank Herbert. Probably going to be starting up the rest of the books in that series sometime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading "Poustinia" by Catherine Doherty. It is a wonderful book about desert spirituality.

Also reading bits of "Intro to the Devout Life" by St Francis de Sales.