An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

rhetoricfemme

I just finished [i]The Great Divorce[/i] by C.S. Lewis.

I'm thinking about picking up where I left off in Barbara Walters' autobiography.
Also thinking about picking up:
[i]The Last Lecture[/i], by Randy Pausch
[i]Choosing to be Catholic[/i], by William J. O'Malley
[i]Jack and Lem[/i], by David Pitts

Working in a bookstore is both a blessing and a burden... ;)

lilac_angel

[i]Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God[/i] by Scott Hahn and Benjamin Wiker, the dynamic duo

melporcristo

[quote name='jezic' post='975275' date='May 8 2006, 09:24 AM']where do you people have the money to buy all of these books? :)

I finished the book Parish Priest and now have moved on to skimming How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization.[/quote]

The public library ...
Or sometimes I have friends that lend me books. It works out well!

Right now I'm reading, "Gianna" about Gianna Jensen. I found the book in the airport when I had a long layover and so far, its pretty awesome.

I just finished, "The Rythm of Life" by Matthew Kelly. It was sooo good.

"The Tale of Two Cities" - Charles Dickens
"A Handful of the great bustin' bodacious air dUStin" - Evelyn Waugh

lilac_angel

[u]Music of the Swamp[/u], a novel by Lewis Nordan, one of my Pitt writing professors who lasted all of two weeks due to sickness or something, which is especially unfortunate because I am now discovering that he was an awesome writer and I could have benefitted from his guidance. I hope he's okay. Our very first class, he started coughing and I thought he was dying, but then it seemed to be like he was crying, and he started expressing great concern and care over us as individual budding writers.

He was born in the Delta region of Mississippi and this book seems to reflect what that kind of life was like back then. It's also really a funny (even hilarious) book in parts, though nothing on the cover suggests that.

I still have to finish [u]Dismantling Dawkins[/u], too. I felt like some fiction to read at the same time.

Edited by lilac_angel

• 2 weeks later...

Chance or Purpose? Creation, Evolution and a Rational Faith - Cristoph Cardinal Schonborn

its great so far.

A book on Hawaiian Mythology, the 3rd harry potter book, and a book on St. Francis of Assisi (of course ;) )

JM + JT

[u]The World's First Love[/u] - Fulton J. Sheen

[u]Confessions[/u] - St. Augustine

[u]Introduction to the Devout Life[/u] - St. Francis de Sales

[u]The Way to Perfection[/u] - St. Teresa of Avila

WOW you are a heavvyyyy reader!!! I have a hard time getting thru just ONE of those books...*phew* it makes me sweat thinking about it!!! :sweat:

JM + JT

You somehow just reminded me:

[u]Siddhartha[/u] - Hermann Hesse

[u]The Plague[/u] - Albert Camus

[u]Brave New World[/u] - Aldous Huxley

For school of course. I'll probably have to put down the many I mentioned above to make sure I concentrate on these. I wouldn't want to fail the tests on them.

I usually pick up whichever book I'm in the mood for, so it does take me a while to finish them. I usually only have time to read about 15-30 minutes right before bed.

the lords sheep

[quote name='salterrae' post='1601906' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:12 PM']JM + JT

[u]The Plague[/u] - Albert Camus[/quote]

You can read The Plague in a day... a very long, depressing day in which lots of people die of a terrible senseless disease in a world where God clearly can't exist, but a day none-the-less. :lol:

I'm reading the "Way of the Pilgrim," but I'm almost finishted, and i've been reading the Theology of the Body slowly but surely.
I haven't decided what I'll move on to next....