An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

Saint Therese

I just finished reading"Saint Therese:her last conversations". the next book I want to read is "Chronicles of Wasted Time", which is an autobiography of Malcolm Muggeridge.

Laudate_Dominum

[i]The Eucharist: Sacrament of the Kingdom,[/i] by Alexander Schmemann

I hope to start [i]The Lamb's High Feast: Melito, Peri Pascha, and the Quartodeciman Paschal Liturgy at Sardis[/i] by Alistair Stewart-Sykes pretty soon.

One of the books that I'm reading at the moment is entitled:

[u]Dialogue Between an Orthodox and a Barlaamite[/u] by Saint Gregory Palamas

Laudate_Dominum
:yahoo: I've wanted to read that for a while you lucky duck.. Oh wait, the concept of luck is basically pagan.. You blessed turkey.

GuyWithAFoil

Right now I am reading "The Slumber of Christianity" by Ted DeKker. I am only 40 pages in, but I think its quite good. Through this book, DeKker is trying to reawaken a passion for Heaven.

Galloglasses

G.K.Chesterton's Orthodoxy, Ebook Edition, (I can give you the link if you wish, its a free download PDF)

The Dark Sacrament: Exorcism in Modern Ireland, by David M Kiely and Christina McKenna

Phatmass in general,

(Yes I do realise only two of these books are relevent, I'll omit the rest)

Edited by Galloglasses

irishdancer

Paulist Press Classics in Western Spirituality Series:

Norbert and Early Norbertine Spirituality

It has parts that are oddly beautiful. But really I don't understandmost of it. Lots of questions to ask.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1488604' date='Mar 30 2008, 12:18 AM'][i]The Eucharist: Sacrament of the Kingdom,[/i] by Alexander Schmemann

I hope to start [i]The Lamb's High Feast: Melito, Peri Pascha, and the Quartodeciman Paschal Liturgy at Sardis[/i] by Alistair Stewart-Sykes pretty soon.[/quote]

Even the title is over my head . . .

Recent reading includes:
Gaillardetz, Teaching with Authority
Dulles, Models of the Church
Rolheiser, The Holy Longing
Cunningham & Egan, Christian Spirituality
Wicks, Handbook of Spirituality for Ministers, vol 2
Lewis & Loomie, The Spanish Jesuit Mission in Virginia

In various stages of reading
Skinner, Wisdom of the Cloister
Matthew the poor, Orthodox Prayer Life

Untouched, but waiting
Barron, And Now I See. . .

Paulist Press - Classics of Western Spirituality series:

[u]Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain: A Handbook of Spiritual Counsel[/u]
by Saint Nicodemos

Google Books preview:

[url="http://books.google.com/books?id=PosT287bj-0C&pg=PA13&dq=nicodemus+of+the+holy+mountain&sig=XhnbKoA2R5Ip6rNNkQq8I3gVEPA"]Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain: A Handbook of Spiritual Counsel[/url]

still getting through Dreiser... bored with it. starting [i]Dropsie Avenue[/i]-Eisner.

for fun, I'm not reading much...kind of reading [i]The Poisonwood Bible [/i] though

Edited by Lena

St Teresa of Avila's 'Interior Castle'. I was told not to read it because I wouldn't understand it, but I'm reading it anyway, and that is one piece of advice I'm glad I ignored. It's wonderful, and I'm only about a third of the way through, so I probably won't properly understand all of it. But it's absolutely worth it, anyway.

[quote name='HannahM' post='1496570' date='Apr 10 2008, 04:56 PM']St Teresa of Avila's 'Interior Castle'. I was told not to read it because I wouldn't understand it, but I'm reading it anyway, and that is one piece of advice I'm glad I ignored. It's wonderful, and I'm only about a third of the way through, so I probably won't properly understand all of it. But it's absolutely worth it, anyway.[/quote]

always ignore advice like that :) I've been wanting to check that one out as well.