An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

Preparation fpr death-St alphonsus De Liguori
The Precious Blood by Fr Faber
Against the Heresies by Archbishop Lefebvre

• 2 weeks later...
TeresaBenedicta

Currently reading "Introduction to Phenomenology" by Monsignor Robert Sokolowski and a collected works of Edith Stein's philosophy.

I'm in 1 Corinthians right now... I forget which chapter.

Annnnnnnd... actually, I think that's it. I just finished "Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana" by Anne Rice and "The Kite Runner". I need to get another fiction book to read before I go back to school.

JM + JT

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1605512' date='Jul 22 2008, 07:57 PM']You can read The Plague in a day... a very long, depressing day in which lots of people die of a terrible senseless disease in a world where God clearly can't exist, but a day none-the-less. :lol:

I'm reading the "Way of the Pilgrim," but I'm almost finishted, and i've been reading the Theology of the Body slowly but surely.
I haven't decided what I'll move on to next....[/quote]
I'm up to page 2 right about now. Very boring.

I put it down for Brave New World. Going quite slow with that one too.

servus Mariae

I enjoy learning about the Spiritual Life. The books that Im currently reading are:

[u]Introduction to the Devout Life [/u]- St. Francis de Sales
- FLippin awesome book

[u]Christ, the Life of the soul [/u]- Columba Marmion

This is a classic guide to the spiritual life that had a direct influence on several Popes, generations of priests and religious, and countless members of the laity. In clear, inspiring language, the author discusses every aspect of our journey to Christ: “the source of all light, all grace, and all holiness—the true Life of our life.” Written for Christians in every walk of life, and filled with practical knowledge and timeless wisdom.
“An authentic treasury of spiritual truth.”
—Pope John Paul II

“Read this– it is pure doctrine of the Church."
—Pope Benedict XV

“The works of Marmion are outstanding in the accuracy of their doctrine, the clarity of their style, and the depth and richness of their thought.”
—Pope Pius XII

“An invitation to laity, religious, and clergy to return to the pure waters of life and leave behind the murky creeks and polluted rivers that have engulfed us for much of the last half century.”
—Fr . Benedict Groeschel

[u]Growth in Holiness[/u] - Pater Frederick William Faber

All 3 books are super fly!!!

Pax!

Edited by servus Mariae

I just finished reading [i][/i]Story of a Soul[i][/i] by St. Therese. I think when I got into the first few pages of Ch. 11 I just didn't want to read it anymore. I felt like her "down to earth-ness" kind of faded away and I just thought, "ok, this is getting lame."

I haven't really been getting anything out of any spiritual reading lately so I've started to read [i][/i]The Chronicles of Narnia[i][/i], which are amazingly awesome! I'm a C.S. Lewis fan and I love reading anything by him. I'm in the middle of [i][/i]Prince Caspian[i][/i] right now. I can't wait until I become a teacher so I can read these stories to my students! :nerd:

Edited by RosaMystica

shadowedseraph

I'm reading God of Surprises by G Hughes right now, its a very interesting book and i think its slowly improving my prayer life!

I finished Breaking Dawn so now I'm reading Twilight again. I'll read Brisingr and The Singing when they come out this fall.

[quote name='pan!c139' post='1632343' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:36 PM']I finished Breaking Dawn so now I'm reading Twilight again. I'll read Brisingr and The Singing when they come out this fall.[/quote]

Breaking Dawn was the best in the series, imho. I'm looking forward to the new Dresdon Files book coming out.

^ Yes, I think so too. Twilight and Breaking Dawn both were the best. New Moon and Eclipse not so much. [Never heard of the Dresdon Files]