Bennn Posted April 10, 2010 Posted April 10, 2010 [quote name='Hilde' date='11 April 2010 - 12:26 AM' timestamp='1270938376' post='2090642'] Can there be life beyond the tree of life? [/quote] Someone's mixing mythology with Biblical truths.
Marie-Therese Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 [quote name='txdinghysailor' date='10 April 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1270938393' post='2090644'] Well basically austenite, martensite, and stuff are different phases of steel. 1045 steel is a carbon-steel that has .45 wt % carbon. [/quote] Hence my previous answer (which may or may not be correct...) [quote name='Marie-Therese' date='10 April 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1270924244' post='2090507'] At the austenite grain boundaries? [/quote]
txdinghysailor Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 [quote name='Marie-Therese' date='10 April 2010 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1270945270' post='2090692'] Hence my previous answer (which may or may not be correct...) [/quote] It's partly correct. I'm impressed.
Marie-Therese Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 [quote name='txdinghysailor' date='10 April 2010 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1270945567' post='2090697'] It's partly correct. I'm impressed. [/quote] Don't be. It's all about quick wit, a knowledge of research, and quick draw google skills. I have a very limited metallurgical knowledge, mostly my experience in that area is from chemistry and not engineering.
jeffpugh Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 [quote name='Hilde' date='10 April 2010 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1270931234' post='2090562'] Yggdrasil, I didn't know you could go beyond it. [/quote] Lullz.
goldenchild17 Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='06 April 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1270587799' post='2087876'] QUERY I. Some of the old demonologies mention goblins, hobgoblins, werewolves, and various other legendary creatures as though they are real. Could a Catholic believe in such things or might they be explicitly condemnations somewhere? I know that some churchmen have condemned belief in some legendary creatures but I can't recall anything that is other than private opinion on the matter. If belief in, say, werewolves, is in fact heretical, isn't it a crime to pretend with kids that such things are real? T'would be somewhat like pretending that Martin Luther is a saint only to spring the terrible truth on them when they're deemed "old enough." Similarly, if belief in goblins turns out to have been condemned as vile heresy or pagan devilry, should not the Lord of the Rings books be placed on the Index? If belief in the fairies of folklore and legend is not condemned, I must, for fun's sake, entertain the possibility of their reality; at least goblins, werewolves, brownies, gnomes and pixies. [/quote] Not exactly from a Catholic. But fun reads nonetheless: [url="http://books.google.com/books?id=fpaCCyGuMqwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=vampires+his+kith+his+kin&cd=1#v=onepage&q=vampires%20his%20kith%20his%20kin&f=false"]The Vampire, his Kith and Kin[/url] [url="http://books.google.com/books?id=g2_vfYCPy6kC&pg=PA325&lpg=PA325&dq=the+werewolf+in+lore+and+legend+montague+summers+online&source=bl&ots=0LysjTb1_V&sig=W1Vlx9JBr5KRhFvG3KYR_5PrnnE&hl=en&ei=pxvCS_a8C4H68AaNwojXCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAUQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q&f=false"]The Werewolf in Lore and Legend[/url]
Laudate_Dominum Posted April 13, 2010 Author Posted April 13, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='11 April 2010 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1271035285' post='2091287'] L_D, should a Latinist learn Cyrillic? [/quote] I'm inclined to answer in the affirmative but I'd have to ask the fish to be sure.
laetitia crucis Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='12 April 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1271117131' post='2092031'] I'm inclined to answer in the affirmative but I'd have to ask the fish to be sure. [/quote] Maybe he'll come online soon. Then you can ask him.
jeffpugh Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='12 April 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1271117131' post='2092031'] I'm inclined to answer in the affirmative but I'd have to ask the fish to be sure. [/quote] Interesting... I hope my question wasn't too straight-forward for this thread.
Laudate_Dominum Posted April 13, 2010 Author Posted April 13, 2010 [quote name='MIkolbe' date='13 April 2010 - 08:13 AM' timestamp='1271160789' post='2092366'] this thred needz chezburgerz [/quote]
txdinghysailor Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 If the plural of goose is geese why isn't the plural of mongoose mongeese?
Nihil Obstat Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 [quote name='txdinghysailor' date='13 April 2010 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1271200682' post='2092785'] If the plural of goose is geese why isn't the plural of mongoose mongeese? [/quote] That's because the word mongoose comes from the Marathi language, which is an Indo-Aryan language spoken by the Marathi people of western and central India, and therefore has completely different rules from the Germanic languages goose comes from.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 April 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1271201226' post='2092795'] That's because the word mongoose comes from the Marathi language, which is an Indo-Aryan language spoken by the Marathi people of western and central India, and therefore has completely different rules from the Germanic languages goose comes from. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif[/img] [/quote] I knew that. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img]
Nihil Obstat Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='13 April 2010 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1271202044' post='2092802'] I knew that. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img] [/quote] That was totally right off the top of my head too.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='13 April 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1271208727' post='2092884'] How do you explain moose and meese? [/quote] Mousse is an excellent dessert, especially chocolate mousse. Ed Meese was Attorney General under the late President Reagan.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='13 April 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1271208727' post='2092884'] How do you explain moose and meese? [/quote] Moose is Algonquin.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now