Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Thread For Absurd And Absurdist Questions Of A Questionable Nature


Recommended Posts

laetitia crucis
Posted

Why is Grape Nuts cereal called that, when it contains neither grapes, nor nuts?

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='14 April 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1271268306' post='2093306']
I could edit that quote to make it understandable, but, for so long I was paid decent money to write/edit that I no longer do it for free. I realized that I am good at it, but don't enjoy it.

I used to be able to edit actuarial reports into English, and to be able explain the implications of Internal Revenue Code changes in an understandable way. I once wrote a quite nice report on the pension system in Spain. Too much work.

Nihil--I'll let you win this one on a forfeit.
[/quote]
I love winning things I didn't even know I was competing in! ^_^

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='14 April 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1271268663' post='2093310']
Why is Grape Nuts cereal called that, when it contains neither grapes, nor nuts?
[/quote]

Here is the explanation given by Wikipedia:

"Despite its name, neither [url="/wiki/Grape"]grapes[/url] nor [url="/wiki/Nut_(fruit)"]nuts[/url] have ever been ingredients in the cereal. The cereal is actually made from wheat and barley. Mr. Post believed that sucrose (which he called "grape sugar") formed during the baking process. This, combined with the nutty flavor of the cereal, inspired its name. Another explanation originates from employees at Post, who claim that the cereal got its name due to its resemblance to grape seeds, or grape 'nuts.'"

Nihil Obstat
Posted

I've never seen Grape Nuts before.

Posted

Me neither. Btw, Corn Pops are different in the states... If you gotta have your Pops, they won't be round...

laetitia crucis
Posted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='14 April 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1271273361' post='2093402']
Here is the explanation given by Wikipedia:

"Despite its name, neither [url="/wiki/Grape"]grapes[/url] nor [url="/wiki/Nut_(fruit)"]nuts[/url] have ever been ingredients in the cereal. The cereal is actually made from wheat and barley. Mr. Post believed that sucrose (which he called "grape sugar") formed during the baking process. This, combined with the nutty flavor of the cereal, inspired its name. Another explanation originates from employees at Post, who claim that the cereal got its name due to its resemblance to grape seeds, or grape 'nuts.'"
[/quote]

Ahhh! Thanks, Ignatius! My brain is growing new wrinkles every day. :D

[img]http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/attachments/6/13244d1248523261-perlite-question-14_grapenuts.jpg[/img]

[img]http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/grapenuts.jpg[/img]

laetitia crucis
Posted

Who put the bop in the bop-she-bop-she-bop?

laetitia crucis
Posted

If our body temperature is normally 98.6 degrees, how come when it's 98(.6) degrees outside, no one is comfortable?

:scratchhead:

  • 1 year later...
missionseeker
Posted

How did God ever say "This is good" after creating the mosquito???

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

Oh my! *[i]Takei voice*[/i]


This wacky thread has been bumped! Mission.....

Posted

Target that explosion and fire! *[i]Takei voice*[/i]

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1312199556' post='2279670']
Target that explosion and fire! *[i]Takei voice*[/i]
[/quote]
ROTFLOL

HopefulBride
Posted

How did Americans come up with soccer for football. What the heck is soccer?

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1270617833' post='2088255']
Oh I forgot about that dude. His stream of consciousness had a fork in it. :lol:
[/quote]

i lold

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...