Laudate_Dominum Posted April 14, 2010 Author Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Marie-Therese' date='13 April 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1271214539' post='2092960'] And Moosey is teh awesomez. [/quote] i tend to agree with this post. ittawtp.
Laudate_Dominum Posted April 14, 2010 Author Posted April 14, 2010 mikolbe may be right that more cheezeberger is needed on this thread. someone ask an absurd, absurdist and highly questionable question pleeze!
Marie-Therese Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 How far is up? Conversely, how far is down?
Laudate_Dominum Posted April 14, 2010 Author Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Marie-Therese' date='13 April 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1271215073' post='2092977'] How far is up? Conversely, how far is down? [/quote] sweet! I know the answer to this one. basically 'up' is ... [mod]violation of article 94.3 - agent 49[/mod]
jeffpugh Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 April 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1271214449' post='2092957'] Moose is Algonquin. [/quote] Now you're just spoofin' [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='13 April 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1271214833' post='2092970'] [quote name='Marie-Therese' date='13 April 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1271214539' post='2092960'] And Moosey is teh awesomez. [/quote] i tend to agree with this post. ittawtp. [/quote] You just created a new iawtc! Not to be confused with ianwp and... iaaep?
Nihil Obstat Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='14 April 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1271221356' post='2093027'] Now you're just spoofin' [/quote] Normally you'd be correct, but against all odds I'm not kidding this time.
Bennn Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/pigfly.gif[/img]
jeffpugh Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 April 2010 - 01:35 AM' timestamp='1271223303' post='2093048'] Normally you'd be correct, but against all odds I'm not kidding this time. [/quote] Crazy. I guess you win. Let's check Wiki, eh?
Nihil Obstat Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='14 April 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1271260078' post='2093231'] Crazy. I guess you win. Let's check Wiki, eh? [/quote] Go for it.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 I've always wondered why they call shutting down a computer "booting." I want to kick my computer sometimes, but I've been told the computer doesn't appreciate that and will punish me later. (I'd probably be punished immediately because I'm usually barefoot and would probably break a toe.) Why don't they just call it "turning the computer off?"
Nihil Obstat Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='14 April 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1271266499' post='2093285'] I've always wondered why they call shutting down a computer "booting." I want to kick my computer sometimes, but I've been told the computer doesn't appreciate that and will punish me later. (I'd probably be punished immediately because I'm usually barefoot and would probably break a toe.) Why don't they just call it "turning the computer off?" [/quote] I thought booting was turning it on. "In computing, booting (also known as "booting up") is a bootstrapping process that starts operating systems when the user turns on a computer system. A boot sequence is the initial set of operations that the computer performs when power is switched on. The bootloader typically loads the main operating system for the computer."
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 April 2010 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1271267072' post='2093290'] I thought booting was turning it on. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif[/img] "In computing, booting (also known as "booting up") is a bootstrapping process that starts operating systems when the user turns on a computer system. A boot sequence is the initial set of operations that the computer performs when power is switched on. The bootloader typically loads the main operating system for the computer." [/quote] You're right, booting means turning on the computer. I normally just call it "turning on the computer." Because of the quotation marks, I assume your second comment is a quote. I also assume the language is English, although that is not so clear. I figure the computer geeks just want to confuse us so they can take over the world. But, as someone who is strongly in favor of clear language, the quote does not meet my standards for "clear writing."
Jesus_lol Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='13 April 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1271214931' post='2092974'] mikolbe may be right that more cheezeberger is needed on this thread. someone ask an absurd, absurdist and highly questionable question pleeze! [/quote] why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? think about it....
Nihil Obstat Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='14 April 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1271267450' post='2093293'] You're right, booting means turning on the computer. I normally just call it "turning on the computer." Because of the quotation marks, I assume your second comment is a quote. I also assume the language is English, although that is not so clear. I figure the computer geeks just want to confuse us so they can take over the world. But, as someone who is strongly in favor of clear language, the quote does not meet my standards for "clear writing." [/quote] Yea, that quote assumes a certain rather high degree of computer literacy. Mine is high enough that I know the general idea, but not much beyond that.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 April 2010 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1271267726' post='2093301'] Yea, that quote assumes a certain rather high degree of computer literacy. Mine is high enough that I know the general idea, but not much beyond that. [/quote] I also understood the general idea of the quote, but, personally, I would have edited the h*ll out it to make it read clearly. Edited April 14, 2010 by IgnatiusofLoyola
Nihil Obstat Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='14 April 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1271267867' post='2093302'] I also understood the general idea of the quote, but, personally, I would have edited the h*ll out it to make it read clearly. [/quote] I don't know anything that's synonymous with bootstrapping or bootloader.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='14 April 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1271267919' post='2093303'] I don't know anything that's synonymous with bootstrapping or bootloader. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img] [/quote] I could edit that quote to make it understandable, but, for so long I was paid decent money to write/edit that I no longer do it for free. I realized that I am good at it, but don't enjoy it. I used to be able to edit actuarial reports into English, and to be able explain the implications of Internal Revenue Code changes in an understandable way. I once wrote a quite nice report on the pension system in Spain. Too much work. Nihil--I'll let you win this one on a forfeit.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now