Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just In Case You Were Wondering


Recommended Posts

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='29 April 2010 - 12:38 AM' timestamp='1272519515' post='2102057']
Thermodynamics is a good comparison. It makes use of numerous formulas and problem solving, but its fundamental basis in a science (chemistry) means that it remains a proper science rather than math. Same can be said about most branches of physics, many types of astronomy, and the entirety actuarial science.
[/quote]

Things must be different in Canada. In the U.S., statistics is usually part of the mathematics department. My BIL is a professor of Biostatistics and his PhD is from the math department. Also, I spent most of my working life in an actuarial consulting firm, and their degrees were in Mathematics.

To resolve this apparent discrepancy, we will have to consult a number of ancient texts and noted experts. However, I'll let you do it, because I don't care that much, and you have an academic library at your disposal.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='29 April 2010 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1272554075' post='2102170']
Things must be different in Canada. In the U.S., statistics is usually part of the mathematics department. My BIL is a professor of Biostatistics and his PhD is from the math department. Also, I spent most of my working life in an actuarial consulting firm, and their degrees were in Mathematics.

To resolve this apparent discrepancy, we will have to consult a number of ancient texts and noted experts. However, I'll let you do it, because I don't care that much, and you have an academic library at your disposal.
[/quote]
At the University of Calgary we have a "Department of Mathematics and Statistics" which is a part of the larger Faculty of Science. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...