Nihil Obstat Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 If you answered that you have experienced anything paranormal, I'd love to hear your story. Just interested me lately. No particular reason. I'm interested to see where our group tends to fall.
MissScripture Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 I once had a panic attack and thought I was possessed. Turns out I just can't take pseudaphedrine, which is what they use from cold medicine to make meth, and can have quite the effect on the nervous system! But that's the closest I've ever come to anything "paranormal."
CatherineM Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 I believe a had an unnatural reaction to an anointing of the sick. I would have said miraculous, but I'm pretty sure God isn't going to waste a miracle on me.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 (edited) [quote name='CatherineM' date='12 June 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1276400957' post='2127961'] I believe a had an unnatural reaction to an anointing of the sick. I would have said miraculous, but I'm pretty sure God isn't going to waste a miracle on me. [/quote] I don't think I've ever had a paranormal experience. However, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "paranormal." Do you mean a healing as CatherineM suggested? Or something like seeing ghosts? Edited June 13, 2010 by IgnatiusofLoyola
Nihil Obstat Posted June 13, 2010 Author Posted June 13, 2010 (edited) [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='12 June 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1276403106' post='2127971'] I don't think I've ever had a paranormal experience. However, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "paranormal." Do you mean a healing as CatherineM suggested? Or something like seeing ghosts? [/quote] I left it open intentionally. Basically anything "inexplicable". In my mind that specifically excludes what I call "holy coincidences", for instance suddenly finding a rose in an odd location immediately after praying to St. Therese. While those are cool and deserve to be talked about, I don't think it qualifies as supernatural or preternatural. What I'm getting at would be...... anything ghost-related, demonic, angelic, and miraculous. Maybe a haunted house, or maybe even being what some people call "sensitive" and what have you. Maybe apparitions, hearing footsteps. Anything like that. Should include miraculous healings and things of that sort. Edited June 13, 2010 by Nihil Obstat
Hilde Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 No I don't think anything like that has happened to me. That doesn't mean weird stuff doesn't happen to me. Like when I saved a budgie. During Pentecost, the choir singers were up with the organ and it was very hot, later I said it was the holy spirit warming us up. Oh, and then there's the monster in my closet.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 June 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1276403366' post='2127973'] I left it open intentionally. Basically anything "inexplicable". In my mind that specifically excludes what I call "holy coincidences", for instance suddenly finding a rose in an odd location immediately after praying to St. Therese. While those are cool and deserve to be talked about, I don't think it qualifies as supernatural or preternatural. What I'm getting at would be...... anything ghost-related, demonic, angelic, and miraculous. Maybe a haunted house, or maybe even being what some people call "sensitive" and what have you. Maybe apparitions, hearing footsteps. Anything like that. Should include miraculous healings and things of that sort. [/quote] Oh, okay. No, I haven't. There's a part of me that would like to see a ghost. I don't really understand what ghosts are, and how they fit into the scheme of things. But some people who live in very old houses in England have "family ghosts" that they just take for granted. These are not weird, or hysterical people, so I think ghosts must exist, even if I don't understand how whole "ghost thing" works.
MissScripture Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 Wait...there was the time I lost my St. Michael medal the day of my Grandpa's funeral (at my grandma's house) and found it in my sock drawer like 8 months later on my Grandpa's birthday. Does that count?
Nihil Obstat Posted June 13, 2010 Author Posted June 13, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='12 June 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1276403863' post='2127980'] Oh, okay. No, I haven't. There's a part of me that would like to see a ghost. I don't really understand what ghosts are, and how they fit into the scheme of things. But some people who live in very old houses in England have "family ghosts" that they just take for granted. These are not weird, or hysterical people, so I think ghosts must exist, even if I don't understand how whole "ghost thing" works. [/quote] I find the idea of ghosts very interesting too. I'm not 100% sure what to make of it from a Catholic perspective. I grew up believing in ghosts. Now I'm not so sure that they are what I always thought they are. We've discussed this on PM before, but I'm not sure if there could be any reason for a soul to be "left behind" like a lot of hauntings are attributed to, where the "ghost" appears to maybe not realize he's dead, or whatever. I believe in demonic activity far, far more readily than that.
BG45 Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 I smelled roses once after praying to the Blessed Virgin. I wasn't Catholic at the time. Then Missy pointed out to me it was the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe...which I'd never heard the story of before. Gave me chills.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 13, 2010 Author Posted June 13, 2010 [quote name='MissScripture' date='12 June 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1276403931' post='2127982'] Wait...there was the time I lost my St. Michael medal the day of my Grandpa's funeral (at my grandma's house) and found it in my sock drawer like 8 months later on my Grandpa's birthday. Does that count? [/quote] Personally I count things like that as a "holy coincidence" that may or may not be supernatural or preternatural in origin.
Resurrexi Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 The grace that we receive in the sacraments is supernatural.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 13, 2010 Author Posted June 13, 2010 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='12 June 2010 - 11:49 PM' timestamp='1276404577' post='2127989'] The grace that we receive in the sacraments is supernatural. [/quote] You know what I meant.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 June 2010 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1276404135' post='2127983'] I find the idea of ghosts very interesting too. I'm not 100% sure what to make of it from a Catholic perspective. I grew up believing in ghosts. Now I'm not so sure that they are what I always thought they are. We've discussed this on PM before, but I'm not sure if there could be any reason for a soul to be "left behind" like a lot of hauntings are attributed to, where the "ghost" appears to maybe not realize he's dead, or whatever. I believe in demonic activity far, far more readily than that. [/quote] Except that, except for poltergeists, as I understand it, most ghosts are harmless--particularly "family ghosts" who have been sighted regularly for centures. That would seem to rule out demonic activity. But, I admit, I don't really understand what ghosts are. I wouldn't believe in them at all if it weren't for the fact that otherwise sane, normal people experience ghosts on a regular basis, and don't think it's a big deal.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 13, 2010 Author Posted June 13, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='12 June 2010 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1276405082' post='2127995'] Except that, except for poltergeists, as I understand it, most ghosts are harmless--particularly "family ghosts" who have been sighted regularly for centures. That would seem to rule out demonic activity. But, I admit, I don't really understand what ghosts are. I wouldn't believe in them at all if it weren't for the fact that otherwise sane, normal people experience ghosts on a regular basis, and don't think it's a big deal. [/quote] I've read my share of supposedly true stories with evil ghosts. I read a lot of compilations of "true" ghost stories back in elementary and junior high. I would speculate that every "evil ghost" is demonic in origin, and I suppose on the flip side, "good ghosts" may well be angelic. It's the family ghost kind of deal that I just don't get. If it's a real phenomenon, I can't understand why God would allow a soul to remain on the earth for so long. Maybe it could be theorized that the soul is experiencing Purgatory and the physical world simultaneously...? I just don't know.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 13, 2010 Author Posted June 13, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 June 2010 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1276405587' post='2127999'] I've read my share of supposedly true stories with evil ghosts. I read a lot of compilations of "true" ghost stories back in elementary and junior high. I would speculate that every "evil ghost" is demonic in origin, and I suppose on the flip side, "good ghosts" may well be angelic. It's the family ghost kind of deal that I just don't get. If it's a real phenomenon, I can't understand why God would allow a soul to remain on the earth for so long. Maybe it could be theorized that the soul is experiencing Purgatory and the physical world simultaneously...? I just don't know. [/quote] To add: The idea of poltergeists is another interesting thing. In most of the stories I read, the poltergeist is seen as a morally neutral entity that happens to like moving things, etc.. They appear to rarely if ever actually harm people. They just like being annoying. Even if you're willing to argue for a Purgatory explanation for some ghosts, poltergeists are even harder to explain away. Edit to add: I just remembered that in most stories I read, poltergeist activity is somehow linked to a person, often an adolescent. Maybe this isn't a separate entity at all, but rather a manifestation of something more personal? Edited June 13, 2010 by Nihil Obstat
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 June 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1276405754' post='2128002'] To add: The idea of poltergeists is another interesting thing. In most of the stories I read, the poltergeist is seen as a morally neutral entity that happens to like moving things, etc.. They appear to rarely if ever actually harm people. They just like being annoying. Even if you're willing to argue for a Purgatory explanation for some ghosts, poltergeists are even harder to explain away. Edit to add: I just remembered that in most stories I read, poltergeist activity is somehow linked to a person, often an adolescent. Maybe this isn't a separate entity at all, but rather a manifestation of something more personal? [/quote] I think poltergeists are different than ghosts, because they do seem to be some sort of manifestation of someone who is upset, confused, angry, etc. Precisely how that manifestation comes about, I can't begin to guess. This discussion makes me wonder if the Vatican has ghosts. You'd think it would be a likely place to find them. Old building. Lots of people have lived there. I may look it up on the Internet. But, so far, I've relegated ghosts to the nook in my brain for things I will never understand, and although part of me would like to see one, another part of me would just as soon remain in ignorance. The Magisterium doesn't try to cover EVERY subject--or does it? Is it possible that there are things that happen after death that are not addressed under the Magisterum? I'm not questioning the Magisterium. I'm simply ignorant of the breadth of subjects, for example, related to death, that the Magisterium is intended or expected to cover.
rhetoricfemme Posted June 13, 2010 Posted June 13, 2010 1. Yes, I believe I've had a supernatural experience. 2. [s]I answered, "no," because I'm pretty sure I've only ever had the one experience. To my knowledge.[/s] I just remembered another occasion, so I should change my answer to, "Multiple unrelated supernatural experiences. 3. I'm borderline neutral and credulous. I have always believed strongly in the supernatural. Still, I recognize that we can allow ourselves to see things that we really want to see. My father passed away a few years ago, and my mother has kept his room generally the same. They slept separately when he started getting sick; he needed the physical space, and it was a quieter environment for him when he really needed the rest. Anyways. A long while after he'd passed on, I was walking by his room one night, and I am positive that I saw part of him standing there. It was most strange, because it was him from the legs down. I may have imagined it, but I'd like to think that I'm a bit more objective than that, and I don't necessarily romanticize that my deceased loved ones are hiding around every corner. However, I am positive that my Dad continues to be an active part of my life from Heaven. The other occurrence was very random. And I'll admit that it could have been my eyes. The first time that Hubs and I had moved into a new house (new to us), I was cleaning up the kitchen one afternoon, and was up on a step ladder. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a girl standing a foot or two away from me. I even began to talk to her, because she looked just like our friend who we gave permission to just let herself in. It was a few seconds before I realized that I had no clue who this person was, and I kind of freaked out. Then I felt bad about it. Another reason I'm sold on it not being my eyes playing tricks on me is because this girl was wearing either all pale yellow or white and had long blond hair, and that day I was wearing all black, and I've got dark hair, which was pulled back and not able to obstruct my vision. Still, I have to admit that there were several white trash bags with the sun shining onto them sitting in the kitchen. So yeah. Who knows? I've always had a keen interest in legitimately paranormal things, and even at one point considered going to grad school for psychology so I could find a concentration in parapsychology (good luck with that, right?). On the other hand, I can scare myself witless, and don't want to allow myself to learn too much about this or that, lest I think about it too much. So I probably shouldn't be reading Father Amorth's books right now, but I am anyways...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now