An Old School Catholic Message Board

Paranormal Experiences

Nihil Obstat

Paranormal Experiences  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

tinytherese

I’ve been reading Did Jesus Have A Last Name? And 199 other questions from Catholic teenagers and yesterday I read this on pages 181-183:
Question #139
“What is the Catholic Church’s position on believing in ghosts?
A. Given our society’s current interest in “supernatural” phenomena, this is an important question. Some people reject the idea of ghosts as crazy or superstitious, putting them on the same level as werewolves, vampires, or extraterrestrials. But let’s take a look at what Catholic teaching has to say on the matter.

Before we can ask whether ghosts exist, we need to be clear on what we’re talking about. A “ghost,” according to the definition found in Webster’s new Collegiate dictionary, is a “the soul of a dead person, a disembodied human spirit.” So a ghost is not an angel or a demon; rather, it is that part of a human being—the soul or spirit—which is separated from the body at death. So everyone now in heaven, hell, or purgatory could be called a “ghost,” and this will be the case until the Last Judgment, when our souls will be reunited with our bodies (CCC 1038). In this sense, we as Catholics affirm that “ghosts” exist.

The real question is whether or not ghosts can appear on earth. Both Scripture and the testimony of the saints seem to indicate that they can. In 1st Samuel 28:3-20, we read how the spirit of the deceased prophet Samuel appeared to King Saul and in 2nd Maccabees 15:11-16, Judas Maccabeus was visited by the dead prophet Jeremiah, who handed him a golden sword. During the Transfiguration, Moses and Elijah appeared to Jesus and the apostles Peter, John, and James on the mountain (Mt 17:1-3). In Catholic tradition, Pope St. Gregory the Great in the sixth century A.D. wrote about numerous appearances of canonized saints or recently-deceased holy men and women, and there is a well-documented appearance in 1836 of a seminary student who had died the day before to St. John Bosco and twenty seminarians. More recently, St. Pio of Pietrelcina (also known as Padre Pio, 1887-1968) is said to have appeared to people on several occasions.

So, while we can affirm that ghosts can appear on earth, it is certainly true that most stories of “hauntings” (or houses that are said to be “haunted”) by ghosts have natural explanations. As extraordinary supernatural phenomena, true appearances of ghosts are not everyday occurrences. Remember—God is in charge of the universe, and if the spirit of a deceased human being appears on earth, it is because He permits it.

What I find expecially comical is that the night before I read this I had watched Ghostbusters. What a quinkidink! :topsy:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='13 June 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1276444233' post='2128081']
I prefer scientific skepticism to paranormal belief.
[/quote]
Werd. Whenever I hear "paranormal", I think of those people with too much time on their hands who pursue their superstitions and get their magnetic field detectors and tape recorders and go searching for ghosts or haunted things or possessed things. Their beliefs and findings are bogus, but on the other hand, I think that devils do exist and cause trouble. But in this day of age with Atheism on the rise, they probably find it more beneficial to stay hidden, in order to bolster the militant atheism. The best offence the enemy can have is the fact that they make people believe they don't exist.

Rebecca2009

[quote name='CatherineM' date='12 June 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1276400957' post='2127961']
I believe a had an unnatural reaction to an anointing of the sick. I would have said miraculous, but I'm pretty sure God isn't going to waste a miracle on me.
[/quote]

Why would you say that? I am sure if He gave you a miracle, He would Never consider it to be a waste! He loves you!

tinytherese

I've also had multiple religious experiences, many of which I'd rather not post. I'm not obligated to believe in them since they would be private revelation, including some dreams which have been really whacky and questionable to say the least since most have been apocalyptic/prophetic. Perhaps it is just my mind thinking bizarre thoughts when I sleep. There was also a time when I'm not sure if I was asleep or awake when something weird happened. Part of what went on in that experience wasn't in line with Church teaching, so I wouldn't put stock into it.

One dream I had though seems harmsless. I wrote it on my blog years ago. I think of it as just a little chocolate hershey's kiss from Jesus.
http://childofourlady.blogspot.com/2007/08/our.html

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"]Sooo the one that comes to mind for me was December 31, 1999. I was in the 3rd or 4th grade (I know, I'm young). I was at my grandfathers like always for New Years. And my folks sent my sister and I up to bed around 9. I wanted to stay up but fell asleep looking at the clock. Woke up again with a start at midnight. Looked toward the door to the room and on the wall next to it where the calendar hung was an image of Jesus. The image was floating and very much like an "afterimage" from staring at something too long. It was the pretty basic Caucasian, long haired, white and red robes, from the chest up Jesus. Lasted a solid twenty seconds and then faded. I'm a very logical person, I thought I'd fallen asleep looking at or thinking of one of the religious photos my grandfather has up around the house. And there are a lot of them. I searched the house high and low that January 1st and never saw the image. I went to Catholic school and my folks are moderate/cafeteria Catholics so I always just assumed that it was an image I'd seen before and my mind somehow was recalling it in my dreams when I woke up. But I've never had anything like that ever happen again so it makes me wonder what it was.

oh...and I was not a religious child or really raised as one: wasn't a fan of mass, didn't understand much of anything related to religion and all, so it's not like I had a desire to see this or would dwell on such things...[/size][/font]

Edited by JustJump

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='notardillacid' date='13 June 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1276454769' post='2128149']
[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='13 June 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1276444233' post='2128081']
I prefer scientific skepticism to paranormal belief.
[/quote]
But you prefer scientific speculation to scientific scepticism :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
Here is some troll food:

Your attempt at ridicule fails on multiple levels.

1. Speculation is not comparable to belief.
2. Your arbitrary claim about my personal preferences is false, even if it were true it is impertinent in light of #1.
3. You have failed to spell skepticism correctly in spite of the fact that the word is contained in the text you were quoting (you do not live in the UK sir).
4. Your excessive degree of enthusiasm (as indicated by five instances of the lol emoticon) over so lame a comment is itself laughable - your post backfires.

I can only pity you... :weep:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='14 June 2010 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1276526235' post='2128515']
Here is some troll food:

Your attempt at ridicule fails on multiple levels.

1. Speculation is not comparable to belief.
2. Your arbitrary claim about my personal preferences is false, even if it were true it is impertinent in light of #1.
3. You have failed to spell skepticism correctly in spite of the fact that the word is contained in the text you were quoting (you do not live in the UK sir).
4. Your excessive degree of enthusiasm (as indicated by five instances of the lol emoticon) over so lame a comment is itself laughable - your post backfires.

I can only pity you... :weep:
[/quote]
1. This entire thread is speculation. Either your 1st post was a non-sequitor in the sense that it didn't relate to anything that was previously said, or you were implying that people here believe in ghosts

2. This point is interesting, but in fact, falso. All I have to do is refer you to [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=101164&st=0&p=2018673&hl=nuclear%20power&fromsearch=1&#entry2018673"]THIS THREAD[/url] or [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=55583&st=0&p=1036704&hl=life%20planets&fromsearch=1&#entry1036704"]THIS THREAD[/url]

3. Boundaries are an illusion. I would have thought a hippie would have realized this.

4. :mobile: [img]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/ardillacid/th_cheese.gif[/img]:mobile: [img]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/ardillacid/th_cheese.gif[/img]:mobile: :mobile:[img]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/ardillacid/th_cheese.gif[/img] :mobile: [img]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/ardillacid/th_cheese.gif[/img] :mobile: :mobile: :mobile:[img]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/ardillacid/th_cheese.gif[/img] :mobile: [img]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/ardillacid/th_cheese.gif[/img] :mobile: [img]http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/ardillacid/th_cheese.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='notardillacid' date='14 June 2010 - 01:02 PM' timestamp='1276538555' post='2128618']
3. Boundaries are an illusion. I would have thought a hippie would have realized this.

[/quote]

L_D is a hippie? I knew there was something special about him that I liked. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hippie.gif[/img]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='14 June 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1276540590' post='2128640']
L_D is a hippie? I knew there was something special about him that I liked. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hippie.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Oh, there is definitely something [i]special[/i] about him

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='14 June 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1276542229' post='2128649']
Wow. That's a new word I didn't know was spelled differently. Scepticism vs Skepticism. Hmm...
[/quote]
Yay for knowledge. I should get a -1 for helping you out :mobile:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='14 June 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1276540590' post='2128640']
[/quote]
:grouphug:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='14 June 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1276542229' post='2128649']
Wow. That's a new word I didn't know was spelled differently. Scepticism vs Skepticism. Hmm...
[/quote]
Maybe he's a closet canadien. :mellow:

[quote name='notardillacid' date='14 June 2010 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1276542413' post='2128650']
Oh, there is definitely something [i]special[/i] about him

Yay for knowledge. I should get a -1 for helping you out :mobile:
[/quote]
[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/shutuphippie.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 June 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1276400249' post='2127950']
If you answered that you have experienced anything paranormal, I'd love to hear your story.
Just interested me lately. No particular reason. I'm interested to see where our group tends to fall.
[/quote]

Once, not long after surrendering my life to the Lord but before I knew enough to submit to the Church, I was in a bookstore and sitting in a chair feeling like I was not yet the kind of Christian I wanted to be, generally feeling a sense of self-condemnation. I distinctly recall praying something like "Lord, please help me to be a shining light for you..." (probably influenced by a Vineyard song that has similar lyrics). An odd looking middle-aged woman walked up to me and, looking nervous and uncomfortable, said: "I don't know if you believe in God or the gifts of the Spirit or even who you are, but I feel like I am supposed to tell you something; 'Thank you for being a light in a dark place.'" I was too shocked to speak. The woman must have thought I was offended or something - she walked out of the store looking rather embarrassed or whatever. To this day she probably has no idea how her message related to my immediate self-doubt with precise imagery.

On two occasions I've clearly seen something at night that was either a phantasm or ball-lightning. I'm going with ball-lightning; either way, extremely rare encounter and somewhat frightening.

cmotherofpirl

Bought a house, it was haunted, got a priest, had a ritual, ghost left, we stayed, end of story.

tinytherese

I remember years ago having the feeling that someone was in great danger and that I needed to pray for them. I prayed and prayed until I was at peace. In heaven, I'll ask Our Lord about that.

Also, during my freshman year of college I had this feeling within me that my future husband needed for me to pray for him. (I was having doubts about my vocation to the religious life then.) Silently, I agreed to pray and if in fact I didn't have an earthly husband to pray for that my prayers could be for someone else who needed it. I still remember the exact date that this happened. 9/22/2007 In the future if I remember to I'll ask my husband about it.

Sternhauser

[quote name='tinytherese' date='14 June 2010 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1276551434' post='2128814']
I remember years ago having the feeling that someone was in great danger and that I needed to pray for them. I prayed and prayed until I was at peace. In heaven, I'll ask Our Lord about that.

Also, during my freshman year of college I had this feeling within me that my future husband needed for me to pray for him. (I was having doubts about my vocation to the religious life then.) Silently, I agreed to pray and if in fact I didn't have an earthly husband to pray for that my prayers could be for someone else who needed it. I still remember the exact date that this happened. 9/22/2007 In the future if I remember to I'll ask my husband about it.
[/quote]

I had a friend who had the same experience. Though she had no suspicion who it was at the time, it turned out it that it had been her future husband she had been praying for.

I once woke up in the middle of the night with the terrifying feeling that something terrible was happening to someone I had lost contact with. Very unpleasant. It's not a phenomenon to which I am prone.

~Sternhauser