An Old School Catholic Message Board

Paranormal Experiences

Nihil Obstat

Paranormal Experiences  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dauntingknight

There was a brief time when I could not even stand to hear anything about the devil, it just scared the willies out of me. Then my confessor told me to stop rereading Exorcist books in the middle of the night.

dominicansoul

Once, in the middle of the night, I heard my mom speaking softly in her bedroom, so I went to check up on her. She had been sick for a long time. When I opened up her bedroom door, I was awestruck by the sight of the silver crucifix she wore on a chain around her neck, it was completely brilliant, and light emanated from it...

my mom was holy, the holiest person I'll ever meet...she suffered so much, and I know that Jesus and her had a real intimate friendship

...i now wear that very same crucifix...i'm really not worthy of wearing it...I'm nothing like my mom...

Guest Darren9592

I've had three weird experiences. Firstly, when I was a kid I looked out the bathroom window one night & saw a strange light outside which proceeded to move towards the window & formed into a face, which sent me screaming into my parent's bed. Over the following years I eventually convinced myself it was just a dream. When I was about 13 or so, that same bathroom had been converted into my bedroom. One night I woke up to see an old man's face sneering at me from the wall, he looked terrifying. Again, I soon dismissed it as another bad dream. Until a couple of years ago when I found out that the previous occupant of our house had been raped in that room by a creepy old man many years go when she was a young woman. My blood ran cold when I heard that story, it makes me think that those faces I'd seen weren't dreams at all.
More recently though, before I came back to the Church & while I was going to through an angry anti-Catholic phase after all the scandals were being revealed, I threw away all the medals & prayer cards, prayer books & stuff I had been given by my grandmother as a kid. ( Which breaks my heart now to even think of doing that ) The night after I had thrown them in the rubbish, I woke up during the night & saw a demonic face on the wall with glowing red eyes with a big grin on it's face. I froze in terror & whispered a prayer until it quickly disappeared. I've never been so bloody scared in my whole life. Was it another dream ? It's possible. Am I nuts ? Maybe :wacko: But in my own opinion, those three faces I saw were very real & all I know is I haven't seen them ever again since I started praying again.

I semi-regularly have experiences which could be construed as supernatural. However, I am more apt to believe they are psychological rather than spiritual.

Vincent Vega

A couple of years ago, I would have these very uncomfortable feelings at night...like something was watching me or trying to "get at" me or something...I'm not sure, it's difficult to explain, because it wasn't a sense of terror or doom, just of unease and suspicion, I guess. Anyway, I finally got some holy water and sprinkled it around my room, after which the feelings stopped.

I make no claim as to whether that was paranormal or not, in fact, it's entirely plausible that the whole thing was completely psychological.

Theologian in Training

Most people already know my thoughts on this, and some have even joined the fb group I started with regard to this. So, instead of answering this question, I will make a recommendation. You should read, if you haven't already, Fr. John Hampsch. He deals with this stuff extensively, and he does so from a Catholic perspective. And, just in case you were wondering, he is a priest in good standing with the Church and with the Claretians, to whom he belongs.

God bless

Fr. Brian

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='16 June 2010 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1276704343' post='2129854']
Most people already know my thoughts on this, and some have even joined the fb group I started with regard to this. So, instead of answering this question, I will make a recommendation. You should read, if you haven't already, Fr. John Hampsch. He deals with this stuff extensively, and he does so from a Catholic perspective. And, just in case you were wondering, he is a priest in good standing with the Church and with the Claretians, to whom he belongs.

God bless

Fr. Brian
[/quote]

Fr., do you have you any specific book recommendations by Fr. Hampsch? I've never heard of him before and would be greatly interested in learning more about this topic from a Catholic perspective.

By the way, if you don't mind sharing, what is the FB group called? I think I'd like to check it out. :)

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='16 June 2010 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1276706455' post='2129871']
By the way, if you don't mind sharing, what is the FB group called? I think I'd like to check it out. :)
[/quote]
[url="http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124096556584&ref=ts"]The Catholic Church and the Paranormal[/url]

rhetoricfemme

My maternal grandmother seems to be an active participant in family affairs even after death. In life she was quite memorable; very loving, protective, and intimidating.

A few years ago my mother had a dream about her mother, wherein she was at our house. My mom was all, "Mom, you're dead. What are you doing here?" Apparently my grandmother didn't say anything to her, but was just pacing back and forth in her wheelchair. My sister was living in our basement at the time, and the same night that our mother had this dream, my sister had woken up in the middle of the night. She was 100 percent certain that was awake and not dreaming, and that she could see on the other end of the basement a shadow that resembled our grandmother, pacing back and forth. I know it sounds odd to say a shadow resembles a person, but our grandmother wasn't easily mistaken; a heavier women in a wheelchair who'd had both legs amputated from diabetes.

Our mom mentioned her dream the next day, and my sister had her encounter to share, too. So that was all very interesting. I don't know if they ever figured out why they think our grandmother was there, but my sister was dealing with a very unhealthy relationship at that point in her life, so I'm inclined to think that it may have had something to do with that.

My other sister says that she's had some sort of relationship with our grandmother for years and years since her death. They were always close in life, too. This sister has had a ridiculous number of emotional and physical hardships in her life, and she feels like our grandma is there for her to tell her that she can beat whatever was happening at the time. It wasn't like our grandma was constantly there, but she says that the times she would most feel that our grandma was around was either on her drives home from work or in the shower. It's been longer than usual since she's last heard from our grandma, and my sister thinks she made her mad for not listening to her about contacting some cousins of ours that we lost touch with. My sister was going to make contact with our cousins, but our mother asked her not to because of the various negative lifestyles they lead. My sister listened to my mom instead of our grandma, but she's trying to make contact now, feeling like maybe she's supposed to be a positive influence for them to see.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='16 June 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1276707276' post='2129874']
[url="http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124096556584&ref=ts"]The Catholic Church and the Paranormal[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, Nihil!

Joining! :clapping:

Theologian in Training

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='16 June 2010 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1276706455' post='2129871']
Fr., do you have you any specific book recommendations by Fr. Hampsch? I've never heard of him before and would be greatly interested in learning more about this topic from a Catholic perspective.

[/quote]

It really depends on what you are looking to understand more about. He is a healing priest, so he has a lot of books on healing, but he also has many books on paranormal phenomenon. His ideas are not widely accepted here at Phatmass, but I have spoken to others, exorcists included, that share similar ideas to his. Like I said, though, it depends on what it is you are looking for.

Fr. Brian

Sternhauser

Seems to be a legitimate site, written by a humble and orthodox fellow.

http://www.religiousdemonology.com/index.htm

He has sound advice, especially for those who pursue demonology because it's "cool" or "exciting."

~Sternhauser

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='19 June 2010 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1276974539' post='2131536']
It really depends on what you are looking to understand more about. He is a healing priest, so he has a lot of books on healing, but he also has many books on paranormal phenomenon. His ideas are not widely accepted here at Phatmass, but I have spoken to others, exorcists included, that share similar ideas to his. Like I said, though, it depends on what it is you are looking for.

Fr. Brian
[/quote]
Was that from when we discussed the idea of a soul remaining on earth temporarily before their judgement? :P I guess "not widely accepted" is a fair way to put that.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='20 June 2010 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1277047366' post='2131730']
Was that from when we discussed the idea of a soul remaining on earth temporarily before their judgement? :P I guess "not widely accepted" is a fair way to put that.
[/quote]

I thought so.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

[quote name='Darren9592' date='15 June 2010 - 09:43 AM' timestamp='1276612994' post='2129235']
I've had three weird experiences. Firstly, when I was a kid I looked out the bathroom window one night & saw a strange light outside which proceeded to move towards the window & formed into a face, which sent me screaming into my parent's bed. Over the following years I eventually convinced myself it was just a dream. When I was about 13 or so, that same bathroom had been converted into my bedroom. One night I woke up to see an old man's face sneering at me from the wall, he looked terrifying. Again, I soon dismissed it as another bad dream. Until a couple of years ago when I found out that the previous occupant of our house had been raped in that room by a creepy old man many years go when she was a young woman. My blood ran cold when I heard that story, it makes me think that those faces I'd seen weren't dreams at all.
More recently though, before I came back to the Church & while I was going to through an angry anti-Catholic phase after all the scandals were being revealed, I threw away all the medals & prayer cards, prayer books & stuff I had been given by my grandmother as a kid. ( Which breaks my heart now to even think of doing that ) The night after I had thrown them in the rubbish, I woke up during the night & saw a demonic face on the wall with glowing red eyes with a big grin on it's face. I froze in terror & whispered a prayer until it quickly disappeared. I've never been so bloody scared in my whole life. Was it another dream ? It's possible. Am I nuts ? Maybe :wacko: But in my own opinion, those three faces I saw were very real & all I know is I haven't seen them ever again since I started praying again.
[/quote]

Have you had a Priest come bless the place yet? If not you should think about it.