An Old School Catholic Message Board

Paranormal Experiences

Nihil Obstat

Paranormal Experiences  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='20 June 2010 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1277063072' post='2131789']
I thought so.
[/quote]
I didn't accept it either to be honest with you. :sweat: I always welcome being proven wrong though, if I can learn something from it. :thumbsup:

I voted no because I've never had personal encounter. However a few years ago I used to walk my dog through a graveyard at night and take pictures to look for anything paranormal. I remember one specific night it was quite foggy and when i walked through there I felt like I was being followed or watched even though no one was there. Soon after that I began thinking wtf am I doing? Im getting into something that I have no understanding of. I stopped it all together.

Personally I do believe in ghosts, due to people i know who have had experiences. There is much in this world that we still do not understand.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='19 June 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1276980163' post='2131566']
Seems to be a legitimate site, written by a humble and orthodox fellow.

http://www.religiousdemonology.com/index.htm

He has sound advice, especially for those who pursue demonology because it's "cool" or "exciting."

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
Stern, I like this guy's credentials. Also, the site is pretty phat, too.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='16 June 2010 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1276668680' post='2129780']
A couple of years ago, I would have these very uncomfortable feelings at night...like something was watching me or trying to "get at" me or something...I'm not sure, it's difficult to explain, because it wasn't a sense of terror or doom, just of unease and suspicion, I guess. Anyway, I finally got some holy water and sprinkled it around my room, after which the feelings stopped.

I make no claim as to whether that was paranormal or not, in fact, it's entirely plausible that the whole thing was completely psychological.
[/quote]

Are sure it wasn't the tax man?

dominicansoul

I grew up in a large family, seven children. back when we were kids, we weren't always on our best behaviors...

...on one particular day, there seems to have been a certain grace that visited our home...we were happy, laughing, enjoying our time with one another, being obedient to our parents, and getting our chores done without complaint...

as the evening approached, as always during those hot summer days, we would gather outside our home to pray a family rosary together. Except, on this night, something happened that left me with an impression I will never forget...

as we were gathering our chairs, we heard a loud screech, like the wailing of a wounded animal....it came from the direction of the lonely little road that ran in front of our house....at first we thought that maybe an animal got hit by a car, but back in those days, we were lucky to see one car pass on that road...and seeing no cars, we were kinda bewildered by it all...

...as we were trying to figure out what was going on, we heard it again...a loud, obnoxious, annoying, screeching wail, as if a beast were in great suffering....and then, we heard very, very loud, hard, clapping of some kind of feet, running down the road....the sound of very, very heavy hooves....clopping down the road....and suddenly, a big whooshing sound....as if the animal, or whatever it was took flight.....

in a moment, the wailing screeching sound dissapated...

we just all sat there in silence and looked at one another...scared...

my mom was the first to break the silence...she said, she thought it were the beast himself, who had probably been trying all day to tempt us, but seeing that we were on our best behavior that day, and seeing now, we were about to pray the powerful Rosary, he knew he was defeated, and couldn't stand it anymore and took off...

I think my mom was right...

dominicansoul

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='20 June 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1277087906' post='2131957']
What a cool story, DS. :)
[/quote]

I was very young...probably just a little past the age of reason....but it left me with a great impression on the power of the Rosary, and how we humans, with the help of God can keep the evil ones at bay....

Oh I forgot to add one time I was walking through the same graveyard and there was bees covering one of the graves. If you don't believe here is the picture

http://yfrog.com/3zdsc00619wlj

princessgianna

It may sound weird but I find myself watching smoke. The way it swirls is very pretty and always unique and all within an instant it's gone.

I was at a youth group prayer meeting a couple of years ago and the leader lit a candle so I watched as the smoke formed it usual swirls. Suddenly the smoke formed a cross(I can't remember if it was a crucifix or just a cross). I do remember it being very distinct. Then it clouded and formed a perfect circle with a small cross in the middle. I naturally saw it to resemble a host. Then it clouded one last time into the face of Christ. That was the most distinct. Then like regular smoke was gone. The abnormality of this occurance did not phase me till everything was gone. By then no one had noticed what I saw. I am not sure why or what. I am also not sure if this was just my imagination or odd things that can occur but just are odd.
I don't know. Take for what it's worth.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='19 June 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1276980163' post='2131566']
Seems to be a legitimate site, written by a humble and orthodox fellow.

http://www.religiousdemonology.com/index.htm

He has sound advice, especially for those who pursue demonology because it's "cool" or "exciting."

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
thanks for this.

i like this quote (he's talking about the paranormal tv shows):

oh never mind, he doesn't want anyone to copy, but i'll link to it:
http://religiousdemonology.com/ethics.htm

basically what he says is shouldn't we have compassion for those spirits (if they are not demonic).

princessgianna

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='20 June 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1277087597' post='2131955']
I grew up in a large family, seven children. back when we were kids, we weren't always on our best behaviors...

...on one particular day, there seems to have been a certain grace that visited our home...we were happy, laughing, enjoying our time with one another, being obedient to our parents, and getting our chores done without complaint...

as the evening approached, as always during those hot summer days, we would gather outside our home to pray a family rosary together. Except, on this night, something happened that left me with an impression I will never forget...

as we were gathering our chairs, we heard a loud screech, like the wailing of a wounded animal....it came from the direction of the lonely little road that ran in front of our house....at first we thought that maybe an animal got hit by a car, but back in those days, we were lucky to see one car pass on that road...and seeing no cars, we were kinda bewildered by it all...

...as we were trying to figure out what was going on, we heard it again...a loud, obnoxious, annoying, screeching wail, as if a beast were in great suffering....and then, we heard very, very loud, hard, clapping of some kind of feet, running down the road....the sound of very, very heavy hooves....clopping down the road....and suddenly, a big whooshing sound....as if the animal, or whatever it was took flight.....

in a moment, the wailing screeching sound dissapated...

we just all sat there in silence and looked at one another...scared...

my mom was the first to break the silence...she said, she thought it were the beast himself, who had probably been trying all day to tempt us, but seeing that we were on our best behavior that day, and seeing now, we were about to pray the powerful Rosary, he knew he was defeated, and couldn't stand it anymore and took off...

I think my mom was right...
[/quote]
WOW!!!!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Lil Red' date='22 June 2010 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1277245904' post='2132979']
thanks for this.

i like this quote (he's talking about the paranormal tv shows):

oh never mind, he doesn't want anyone to copy, but i'll link to it:
http://religiousdemonology.com/ethics.htm

basically what he says is shouldn't we have compassion for those spirits (if they are not demonic).
[/quote]
Generally speaking, quotes are ok. He'd probably be referring to posting his entire article, or at least most of it.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 June 2010 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1276441022' post='2128065']
What do you think of my idea above that the "restless soul" type of ghost is actually a soul currently experiencing purgatory?
[/quote]

Nhil would that not supercede the whole idea of the catholic belief in purgatory? If a ghost can wander about someplace other than purgatory does this mean the souls that are actually isolated in purgatory are there as they are stupid enough to stay there? If a soul could just leave purgatory to "watch over" a relative or to "take care of some unfinished business" or to "haunt" a house what is keeping the other souls there suffering loneliness and isolation, and how can we beleive there is actually such a place as purgatory? One could take the next logical step in the thought process and muse that if there is no such thing as purgatory is there a heaven, a God. Why even bother with anything in life different than hedonistic desires if you can just visit your relatives after your death or wander about scaring the kiddies at night? This is why I beleive that this is all demonic activity, a ruse from the deceiver to lead souls away from a beleif in God, I know the church stands against all such things as superstition, divination, mediums and pyschics and also things as asinine as numerology and horoscopes for just this reason. Now I love a good ghost story as much as the next guy, and I will see every scary movie and read novels of that genre, but I always take it as entertainment, be careful my friend this junk opens your mind to the influence of demons and no good can come from dwelling on things that are not of God such as this.

ed

Sternhauser

[quote]What do you think of my idea above that the "restless soul" type of ghost is actually a soul currently experiencing purgatory?
[/quote]

I think it's very likely. I also agree with his idea on how it should be handled.

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"If you believe spirits are human souls in some trapped or confused state is it ethical to gather around and provoke them into performing for you? If you are not going to try and do something about their problem, what are you there for? Is it for selfish gain, to have things to get recognition for? To show to others? I am not intending for people to feel bad, this excited exploration is a typical beginners position, I'm just encouraging you to try and move beyond that and think about what you are doing.[/font]"

[b]http://religiousdemonology.com/Ghosts.htm[/b]

~Sternhauser

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='22 June 2010 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1277254838' post='2133046']
Nhil would that not supercede the whole idea of the catholic belief in purgatory? If a ghost can wander about someplace other than purgatory does this mean the souls that are actually isolated in purgatory are there as they are stupid enough to stay there? If a soul could just leave purgatory to "watch over" a relative or to "take care of some unfinished business" or to "haunt" a house what is keeping the other souls there suffering loneliness and isolation, and how can we beleive there is actually such a place as purgatory? One could take the next logical step in the thought process and muse that if there is no such thing as purgatory is there a heaven, a God. Why even bother with anything in life different than hedonistic desires if you can just visit your relatives after your death or wander about scaring the kiddies at night? This is why I beleive that this is all demonic activity, a ruse from the deceiver to lead souls away from a beleif in God, I know the church stands against all such things as superstition, divination, mediums and pyschics and also things as asinine as numerology and horoscopes for just this reason. Now I love a good ghost story as much as the next guy, and I will see every scary movie and read novels of that genre, but I always take it as entertainment, be careful my friend this junk opens your mind to the influence of demons and no good can come from dwelling on things that are not of God such as this.

ed
[/quote]
I'm only going to address the first bit, because I don't think the rest of it logically follows at all.

I think it could be argued that a typical 'haunting ghost' is a soul who is literally and at that moment experiencing purgatory. Not that they were in purgatory and left. In terms of reasoning........ maybe it's something they need to 'get over' in order to further perfect themselves, or maybe they've been given a rare opportunity by God to do a good deed for a family member, maybe even in return for wrong they did in life. I think there are a lot of options. We understand purgatory very poorly, and I don't think there's anything particularly extraordinary about my theory, besides in that it allows for the possibility of paranormal actions from entities besides angels and demons and God.

Edited by Nihil Obstat