An Old School Catholic Message Board

Convent Tattoo Ideas

vee

Wow TofA is kind of popular... it makes me wonder if one of these pics doesnt belong to nunsense! :hehe:

[img]http://zhippo.com/SkinGraffTattoosHOSTED/images/gallery/l_79857e45354a4ab5bc8b0b4699bcb587.jpg[/img] [img]http://s201469046.onlinehome.us/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/teresa.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/4306952785_f799b800fd.jpg[/img]

Edited by vee8

I'm very interested to hear people's opinion of tattoos, especially those in VS! :)

I was always opposed to tattoos. My sister has quite a few, but I never really understood the purpose of it, and I don't think her appearance has been enhanced by them. In fact, she has often had to "hide" her tattoos -- although the one on her wrist is a little difficult to cover up, even if it is small!

But then I heard of a mother who lost her son a few years ago, and she wanted to get a very tiny tattoo, just a little heart, and put it somewhere (maybe on the base of her thumb, near the wrist, she was thinking) as a memorial of her son who died. And then I started to think that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea. She was probably the last person in the world I would picture ever getting a tattoo!! But for me, I suppose it's hard to overcome the idea of tattoos that I grew up with, much like IgnatiusofLoyola - that the only people who had them were sailors and inmates!

The topic of tattoos came up the other day with one of my brother's friends, as well, and it was just very interesting to me. It's caused me to rethink the whole idea of tattoos; I'm still not quite sure what I think about it now.

Regarding religious communities, I know quite a few who have accepted Sisters who had gotten tattoos before entering. But in my experience, I can't think of a single one that has refused a candidate because she had a tattoo.

[quote name='Hilde' timestamp='1282742095' post='2162897']
Don't get a face tattoo.
[/quote]

That might be the one kind of tattoo that would require a religious community to reject a candidate, perhaps? :twitch: :idontknow:

Edited by CherieMadame

Maybe visible ones? Like on the hands and lower arms and the face? The foot? Ankle? Calves? depends on attire?

If I'd get a religious tattoo it would be more symbolic and wanting to put something on my body that means a lot to me. Not to be prettier or anything. And I think I will someday, I just need a lot of time to think what and where, and where to get it. So yeah, prolly going to get one. I don't have any modymod except a lot of ear piercings and stretched ears.

[quote name='JTheresa' timestamp='1282709456' post='2162789']
Man, I can already tell i missed a great night on chat. Unfortunately my sister turned the livingroom into her bedroom so I have no place to set up my laptop.

Plus I need to learn the value of detachment. :cry2:
[/quote]

:console: The subject of tattoos came up because of part of the vocation story of someone who was in there so maybe she will post the story here as well :)

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1282710558' post='2162799']
shaking head at my little sister....and exactly WHERE would you place this tattoo????? :getaclue: :shocking:
[/quote]

Hmmm well Im thinking on the shoulder or calf IF I got one but this is all just fun speculation.

[quote name='Hilde' timestamp='1282719050' post='2162857']
Maybe the painting of st.Michael the archangel where he's all in battle and stuff, but that's more elaborate. Smaller symbols are fine too.
[/quote]

:like2:

[img]http://www.religioustattoos.net/Images/Saints/st_michael_11.jpg[/img]

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

All I know is that I want something right over my heart if I get a tattoo. Modesty in getting said tattoo might just prevent it from happening.

I just have no idea what I would get though...

TeresaBenedicta

If I were to get a tattoo, it would be something that symbolizes my Marian consecration (although, DS, I have to admit that the Dominican cross with their motto is awfully tempting!). Probably a modified version of the Militia Immaculatae symbol.

Funny enough, it's KNOWING the fact that it'd be hidden which makes it slightly more tempting to get it.

Indwelling Trinity

How about using crayola crayons? this way you can get rid of them before you novice Mistress sees them n your clothing day!

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1282745434' post='2162926']
How about using crayola crayons? this way you can get rid of them before you novice Mistress sees them n your clothing day!
[/quote]

Or they have those "erasable" markers!

Beware, though -- I got a pack of those on Christmas Eve a number of years ago, right before our Christmas play in which I was an angel, and for fun we drew a mustache on me, took a picture, then erased it for the play. A few hours later, wouldn't ya know ... the faint lines of a big black mustache started showing up again on my face ... DURING the play!!! :lol: We had a good laugh over that one, even though I was pretty mortified at the time!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1282709832' post='2162795']However, I don't think I could ever get a tattoo. When you get older and your skin starts to lose it's elasticity, the tattoo gets all faded and ugly-looking. :ohno:[/quote]
nope :)

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1282712469' post='2162827']
This on my right calve:

[img]http://www.sistersofmary.org/images/stories/DSMMElogo.png[/img]

And this one on my left ankle:

[img]http://www.opne.org/images/laudare_bene_pra%20dom%20seal.gif[/img]
[/quote]
sweet!! :) if i ever get another, it will be a Dominican one. but not sure that will happen. if anyone has friended me on facebook, my profile picture is the tattoo on my back, in honor of my uncle and my brother.

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1282745434' post='2162926']
[/quote]

Sort of like this then :wave: [size="1"]oh no Im scarred for life![/size]
[img]http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac195/vee8spics/001.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1282750950' post='2162989']
Get a tattoo of the founder of your order ripping out of your chest.
[/quote]

:lol3:

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='' post='']
Get a tattoo of the founder of your order ripping out of your chest.
[/quote]
I seriously LOLed at this.
My sister looked at me and asked if I was laughing at Phatmass again. :lol:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1282731699' post='2162870']
Thinking why not just get the Sistine chapel tattoded then you have all creation history! :P
[/quote]

I want the Salve in latin on my back... :nun: