An Old School Catholic Message Board

Convent Tattoo Ideas

vee

When my oldest wanted to get a tattoo, I took him over to the local VA hospital and let him see what tattoos look like after 50-60 years. The elderly veterans were happy to show him theirs with the stories behind them. He never brought up the subject about getting one again. He did get one on his first leave in the Navy, a Celtic cross. Sailors.

My brother-in-law has several tattoos (Marines) and my brother has a simple black one on his chest (it's a Roman numeral, and is associated with a significant event in his life). I think that too many people get them without really considering their permanence; will it still be cool in 50 years? So, I think you should wait at least a year between deciding on a particular tattoo and actually getting it. If you still want it, then, sure, maybe it will work for you. But that should cut out some regrets!

Personally, I would not want to get a tattoo prior to getting married. I feel that my future spouse should have some say in that decision. So, for entering the convent, I'd say to pray about it. ;)

I don't imagine many religious communities would allow a member to go get a tattoo after you join, because, well, you take a vow of poverty, yes? So, getting a personal tattoo that no one else can see is kinda like, I dunno, not in line with the goals of the community. Once you're a member, I mean.

For most communities, those making the decision of whether or not you are welcome to join will be of the generation that associates tattoos with prisons and ships. Not saying they won't allow you to enter, but it probably won't be viewed in a positive light. Just something to be aware of.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1282741915' post='2162894']
Wow TofA is kind of popular... it makes me wonder if one of these pics doesnt belong to nunsense! :hehe:

[/quote]

Surprisingly to me, those tattoos are beautiful. I am beginning to understand what they mean by "tattoo art."

However, I still don't find it attractive when a person has a lot of tattoos. It's not a moral thing--it's just my personal taste. But, if the tattoos make the person happy, then so be it. I've had people tell me I'd be more attractive if I wore make-up, and more stylish clothes, and they're probably right. Again, it's not a moral thing for me--I'm just lazy. I wear make-up and a nice dress on occasions where that is the expected attire. Actually, I "clean-up" surprisingly well.

As for convent life, the pain and patience involved in the hours it took to get those tattoos could indicate that the woman is willing and able to undergo a lot of personal discomfort for something important to her.

However, a woman with those tattoos had better join a Community with a full habit and heavy stockings, and hope that the Order doesn't change later to a modified habit with a street-length skirt (but no slacks allowed). I've heard tattoo removal has gotten easier, but that it is still a long, expensive, and (I assume) painful process.

With the tiny bit I know about Nunsense, I doubt she has any tattoos. But, I have been wrong before, so I could easily be wrong about that, too.

Maria Faustina

This is a great thread!

Ok sooo..... I would get a bulll. I'm actually planning on getting it on my 18th birthday if in a year I still like the idea.

I know what you're thinking... but here are my reasons:

1) Have you ever read "Ferdinand the Little Bull"? That book pretty much describes my life and it was my favorite book when I was a little girl. I ended up in a place I never thought I'd be. It reminds me a lot of the struggles I'm fighting that I don't want to be fighting, but eventually, I will be able to sit back under my cork tree.
2) St. Thomas Aquinas is pretty much my favorite saint. He was called the "Dumb Ox" because many of his classmates took his quiet demeanor for stupidity and ridiculed him. But he became so much greater than anyone could have ever imagined- This reminds me to allow God to make me the person *He* wants me to be instead of who I want to be, because His plans are greater than my own.
3) The people of the old testament used to sacrifice bulls to repent for their sins. This reminds me to constantly make up for my sins and the sins of all souls by making sacrifices. It also reminds me of Jesus, who was willing sacrificed to make up for our sins.
4) Bulls are stubborn...I am one of the most stubborn people you might meet. This can be a bad quality most of the time. However, this stubborness has caused me to be stubbornly stuck on following the Lord even after I fail.
5) Bulls are ferocious. When they are faced with a fight, they go big or go home. This reminds me to always fight to the death for what I love and what I believe in.

I want to get it on my upper arm or my right shoulder.

ohhh and a PS.... soo does anyway know/ have experience with the Nashville Dominicans and tattoos? JUst want to know for future reference :))
thanks guys God bless!

franciscanlady

I have six and they are on my feet, inside ankle, calf, and a Trinity knot on my forearm. I got them in college and right out also. I was really nervous about what the sisters in the convent would think of me, but they were very kind. One sister had gotten on in college also and jokingly told me she was jealous of mine :hehe2: I left that community and am hoping to enter another community (not sure which one yet). I'm like "well can't join that order, they only wear sandals and my tattoos will show," or "they have a mid-calf habit which won't cover enough of my legs." I am kinda worried even though the more traditional communities are completely covered. I mainly think of being old and in the infirmary and scandalizing the younger nuns :(

franciscanlady

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1282781196' post='2163272']
As an aside, how much do tattoos cost? I have no idea.
[/quote]

It depends on the shop you go to, the artist, and size you get. Most shops have a minimum price which can be as low as $50 for a small tattoo (such as a star). The bigger the tattoo and more detailed, the more it cost. A small portrait tat can easily cost several hundred dollars depending on the artist.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='franciscanlady' timestamp='1282782341' post='2163282']
I have six and they are on my feet, inside ankle, calf, and a Trinity knot on my forearm. I got them in college and right out also. I was really nervous about what the sisters in the convent would think of me, but they were very kind. One sister had gotten on in college also and jokingly told me she was jealous of mine :hehe2: I left that community and am hoping to enter another community (not sure which one yet). I'm like "well can't join that order, they only wear sandals and my tattoos will show," or "they have a mid-calf habit which won't cover enough of my legs." I am kinda worried even though the more traditional communities are completely covered. I mainly think of being old and in the infirmary and scandalizing the younger nuns :(
[/quote]

My guess is that by the time you are old and in the infirmary, the next generation or two will have come up with something that their parents (those in their 20's now) will find shocking. After all, parents in the early 1960's were shocked by the Beatles "long" hair. Each generation seems to come up with something new. So, by that time, your tattoos will be "old hat" and boring compared to what the younger nuns did before they entered (or at least saw others do).

Dumb question (my specialty)--Who is that in your avatar and what is that on his hand?

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

franciscanlady

That is what I try to remember so that I don't freak out :smile2: My avatar is St. Padre Pio who was a Capuchin priest who received the stigmata. That is blood on his hand which he normally covered with gloves except during Mass. He lived from 1887-1968 and is one of my favorite saints.

Edited by franciscanlady

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1282756257' post='2163039']
Sort of like this then :wave: [size="1"]oh no Im scarred for life![/size]
[img]http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac195/vee8spics/001.jpg[/img]

:lol3:
[/quote]

Laughing... you little stinker! :nono::buddies2:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='franciscanlady' timestamp='1282786522' post='2163306']
That is what I try to remember so that I don't freak out :smile2: My avatar is St. Padre Pio who was a Capuchin priest who received the stigmata. That is blood on his hand which he normally covered with gloves except during Mass. He lived from 1887-1968 and is one of my favorite saints.
[/quote]

I thought that might be the stigmata, but although I have heard of it, I have never seen it. And, I've never seen a picture of St. Padre Pio (although I have heard of him), so I didn't recognize him.

Although the stigmata is a gift from God, it also looks inconvenient. (I'm always thinking of the practical implications of things--not very holy of me, I confess.) I never realized that the bloody area was so large.

Why did St. Padre Pio uncover his hands during Mass? Didn't it get blood on the altar cloth, the host, etc.? Are priests not allowed to wear gloves during Mass? Or was there a reason St. Padre Pio wanted to expose the stigmata during Mass? Did he have it all the time? Or did it come and go? (Please forgive my ignorance.)

franciscanlady

I am more than happy to answer you questions :smile2: The reason why Padre Pio wore gloves is because there was an order from the Vatican that he not show anyone his stigmata (they thought he was a fraud). He not only had wounds on his hands but feet and side as well and had them everyday for 50 years. Because he was extremely loyal to the Church, he kept his gloves on except for Mass right before the Consecration. He noticed that he bled the most at the Consecration. I am not sure if blood fell onto the altar. An excellent book to read is [u]Padre Pio: Man of Hope[/u]. Also the best movie IMO is "Padre Pio: Miracle Man (although there are some fictionalized parts).

Padre Pio bio [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pio_of_Pietrelcina#Transverberation_and_visible_stigmata"]My link[/url]

Padre Pio celebrates Mass [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqLxUExgZVQ"]My link[/url]

Hope this helps.

Edited by franciscanlady

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='franciscanlady' timestamp='1282789211' post='2163327']
I am more than happy to answer you questions :smile2: The reason why Padre Pio wore gloves is because there was an order from the Vatican that he not show anyone his stigmata (they thought he was a fraud). He not only had wounds on his hands but feet and side as well and had them everyday for 50 years. Because he was extremely loyal to the Church, he kept his gloves on except for Mass right before the Consecration. He noticed that he bled the most at the Consecration. I am not sure if blood fell onto the altar. An excellent book to read is [u]Padre Pio: Man of Hope[/u]. Also the best movie IMO is "Padre Pio: Miracle Man (although there are some fictionalized parts).

Padre Pio bio [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pio_of_Pietrelcina#Transverberation_and_visible_stigmata"]My link[/url]

Padre Pio celebrates Mass [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqLxUExgZVQ"]My link[/url]

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. Since I get faint at the sight of blood, it's probably just as well that I am not holy enough to have the stigmata. And, I'd faint at the sight of the needle if I got a tattoo. I even got queasy when I got my ears pierced. Needless to say, I have not pursued a career in medicine. And, holy as he was, I might have had to skip Padre Pio's Masses.

franciscanlady

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1282790929' post='2163338']
Since I get faint at the sight of blood, it's probably just as well that I am not holy enough to have the stigmata.
[/quote]

:smile3:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1282790929' post='2163338']
Thanks for the information. Since I get faint at the sight of blood, it's probably just as well that I am not holy enough to have the stigmata. And, I'd faint at the sight of the needle if I got a tattoo. I even got queasy when I got my ears pierced. Needless to say, I have not pursued a career in medicine. And, holy as he was, I might have had to skip Padre Pio's Masses.
[/quote]
Take my word for it, having a hole in the middle of your palm is seriously unpleasant. Hand doesn't want to work good at times.