An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Nun...

LaPetiteSoeur

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I did walk around my house wearing a bed sheet on my head a few weeks ago, it was quite a wonderful experience. :nun2:

Guest hermanita

It's 2:20 A.M. and I'm making lists about what to give away to which friend before I enter. This started as making my Christmas shopping list. :saint2:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1321745939' post='2338374']

oh my goodness (don't blasphemy) I do this with prayer ropes! 'Just in case'. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1321746247' post='2338375']
Sigh @ philters. I did mean oh my goodness *eyeroll*
[/quote]

rotfl

Yes, this actually happened last week! I went to my friend's church & at the end of the 40 Hours Devotion, her husband starts the rosary (to help keep a prayerful attitude as people come in for 4:30pm Mass). I had brought my beautiful crystal rosary for this special occasion :proud: & as I took it out of my pocket, I realized it was completely tangled on one end & that at the other end one of the links had come undone! EEP! :o So after panicking for 10 seconds, I remembered I had my old faithful wooden bead & string rosary in my purse. *Whew* :sweat:

Oh & is the prayer rope for the Jesus prayer? Where can you get one?

FutureSister2009

When you're happy that Campus Ministry went ahead to start a Womens Discernment Group without having to suggest it!

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1321795727' post='2338494']

rotfl

Yes, this actually happened last week! I went to my friend's church & at the end of the 40 Hours Devotion, her husband starts the rosary (to help keep a prayerful attitude as people come in for 4:30pm Mass). I had brought my beautiful crystal rosary for this special occasion :proud: & as I took it out of my pocket, I realized it was completely tangled on one end & that at the other end one of the links had come undone! EEP! :o So after panicking for 10 seconds, I remembered I had my old faithful wooden bead & string rosary in my purse. *Whew* :sweat:

Oh & is the prayer rope for the Jesus prayer? Where can you get one?
[/quote]

Yes, prayer ropes are for the Jesus prayer. They are available very cheaply online, but the best quality ones I have found are made at [url="http://www.holymyrrhbearers.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=197"]Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery[/url] in NY. They make them from their own sheep's wool :)

(Alternatively, if you really want one, I can mail you one!)

[quote name='hermanita' timestamp='1321784879' post='2338477']
It's 2:20 A.M. and I'm making lists about what to give away to which friend before I enter. This started as making my Christmas shopping list. :saint2:
[/quote]

That is exactly what I am doing. This years Christmas shopping list is really a "giving my own things away" list :) So far my water-boiler is gone, my flat iron, my really beloved leather-hand-made-notebook-bag, my fridge, my freezer, another backpack, my childrens books...

But all with the "option" that if I return I get those back :)

Another one, One of my managers has been pretty hard on me lately. Then when she explained why/apologized I wanted to tell her "Its ok I consider this good practice for taking criticism from superiors in Religious life." I didn't though I just smiled and said I understood.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

to be honest, this thread scares me because i've read a lot of the things that have happened to me on this thread......

and when i saw the story on oprah about the Dominican Sisters of Mary, i almost instantly looked up the order in google and realized they're building a priory near to where I live in Texas.....

God help me.

Guest hermanita

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1321813383' post='2338560']

Yes, prayer ropes are for the Jesus prayer. They are available very cheaply online, but the best quality ones I have found are made at [url="http://www.holymyrrhbearers.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=197"]Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery[/url] in NY. They make them from their own sheep's wool :)

[/quote]

I have a couple from St.Paisius Serbian Orthodox Monastery in AZ. I love the Jesus Prayer

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1321813383' post='2338560']

[/quote]

Lol -- I have one that a friend made for me (it is a 100 count prayer "rope" but it is made using beads instead of knots, with a St. Benedict medal at the end). I use it for intercessory prayer and for personal prayer.

LaPetiteSoeur

When you realize everything might possibly be a whole lot easier if you just told your friends that you're hoping to enter the convent, that way they'd stop bugging you to "put yourself out there and get a guy." I have one, at the moment, thanks.

But you say nothing, because you're not ready for them to know.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1321923062' post='2339173']
When you realize everything might possibly be a whole lot easier if you just told your friends that you're hoping to enter the convent, that way they'd stop bugging you to "put yourself out there and get a guy." I have one, at the moment, thanks.

But you say nothing, because you're not ready for them to know.
[/quote]

Or when you stop telling well meaning friends and family about your plans because they think they are helping you when they tell you that perhaps it is God's will that you don't become a nun and you should just accept that fact and stop trying.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1321923200' post='2339175']

Or when you stop telling well meaning friends and family about your plans because they think they are helping you when they tell you that perhaps it is God's will that you don't become a nun and you should just accept that fact and stop trying.
[/quote]
Or when your family wants you to join a different order. Trust me it is awful... Seriously, you are the only one that knows what is on your heart (and Jesus of course). :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1321924631' post='2339195']
Or when your family wants you to join a different order. Trust me it is awful... Seriously, you are the only one that knows what is on your heart (and Jesus of course). :)
[/quote]

I think someone mentioned this on another thread, how sometimes others think they know better than oneself what is the type of community for them! Sometimes it may take a bit of discernment to figure out where one belongs, but the different experiences are part of the journey in getting where God wants us, so no matter how well meaning someone is, they should really just leave it to the individual to work out their own path.

It reminds me of when my daughter first asked advice from my brother and from me about whether she should join the army or not. We both felt that she disliked authority too much and should never try something like that. After awhile, her desire became too great and she ignored our advice and enlisted. Boy were we wrong! She loves everything about the army and re-upped again after her deployment to the mid-East. It was exactly what she needed in her life and she even got married while in the army. Now she is thinking of leaving only because she has had a baby and wants to be a Mom more than a soldier and can't risk deployment again for the baby's sake, but before the baby, she wanted to be career army. I would never have guessed that and my advice was totally off target for her. And I thought I knew her!

We do have to respect each other's choices in this life, whether we agree or not. We might even see our predictions come true about someone, but that doesn't mean they haven't grown and learned from their experiences in a way that is good for their soul.

i<3franciscans

Thanks so much nunsense. Your thoughts mean so much, it gives me hope to hear from other people. I have a great respect for my parents opinion, but I firmly believe that I am doing what is right. I just wish I could convince them.