An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Nun...

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341369124' post='2452217']
Then, tonight, I thought that it would be awesome if my hair could be cut while it's long if I enter religious life (God-willing). :)
[/quote]

I have definitely thought of this as well! Even before I was Catholic, the image of beautiful Clare cutting off her blonde hair spoke to me quite vividly. Like you, I really hope my hair grows a lot before I enter, even though it is already pretty long..

Edited by emmaberry

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341462468' post='2452456']
I have definitely thought of this as well! Even before I was Catholic, the image of beautiful Clare cutting off her blonde hair spoke to me quite vividly. Like you, I really hope my hair grows a lot before I enter, even though it is already pretty long..
[/quote]

My hair is already down to my shoulders. It grows like a weed during the summer, so it might be an inch longer pretty soon! :)

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1341450882' post='2452432']
You were a young girl entering the community??? :|
[/quote]

:french: A young woman I did not know. I and others as well as her family watched as she knelt before the door of the cloister and two Nuns did some protocol. The thing I remember most is the crying women that were obviously related to her.

Kayte Postle

when you want to start stocking up on your fav under-things in white for fear that the brand will stop making it by the time you enter....

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Kayte Postle' timestamp='1341636434' post='2453041']
when you want to start stocking up on your fav under-things in white for fear that the brand will stop making it by the time you enter....
[/quote]

LOL, that'd be a good idea since that always happens to me. :hehe2:

Kayte Postle

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341638945' post='2453052']
LOL, that'd be a good idea since that always happens to me. :hehe2:
[/quote]

Yuppers. For years I've had a hard time trying to find my under-things in white, (let's be honest having all white under-things makes laundry easier) and I finally tracked some down on an obscure off-brand warehouse site, and now I want to stock up.........badly......... lol. We can start nun-trunks to stock up for things like this... :hehe2:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341462932' post='2452459']
My hair is already down to my shoulders. It grows like a weed during the summer, so it might be an inch longer pretty soon! :)
[/quote]

Totally-your so lucky your hair grows that quickly! I got the 'Victoria Beckham' bob 4 years ago, and my hair is just now halfway down my back...NEVER doing that again! :hehe:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341690568' post='2453176']
Totally-your so lucky your hair grows that quickly! I got the 'Victoria Beckham' bob 4 years ago, and my hair is just now halfway down my back...NEVER doing that again! :hehe:
[/quote]

Yep, I had that same hairstyle for quite a while. It looks good when it's the right length, but I don't like the way it looks when the layers grow out. It just doesn't hang right. :blush:

My mom usually trims my hair and it really needs it, but now I'm being picky about the length. I've got so many split ends from putting it up in a fabric scrunchie and flat ironing.

Lil'Monster

I don't know if this has to do with this thread but it is very random.

But a couple of days ago I was talking with MT.... I told her that I am pumping up my muscles for the 2020 Summer Olympics for swimming......

Then she sad "Ha...in your habit?"

That got me thinking......what in the world do nuns wear when they go swimming? Do nuns ever go swimming? I know some orders do but this is a very serious thing....cuz I love swimming! I always dreamed to be an Olympic swimmer since I was 8 or 9 years old but I was too shy to be on a swim team though, etc.

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1341718062' post='2453335']

But a couple of days ago I was talking with MT.... I told her that I am pumping up my muscles for the 2020 Summer Olympics for swimming......

That got me thinking......what in the world do nuns wear when they go swimming? Do nuns ever go swimming? I know some orders do but this is a very serious thing....cuz I love swimming! I always dreamed to be an Olympic swimmer since I was 8 or 9 years old but I was too shy to be on a swim team though, etc.
[/quote]

It depends on the order. SSVM do. Of course it private, only sisters, and in gym clothes. Trust me though, if God calls you to a community that doesn't swim he will fill your heart so much you will joyfully make that sacrifice. But just ask the VD when you are looking at various orders.

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1341718062' post='2453335']

[/quote]

Like ToJesusThroughMary said, it depends on the order. I don't think most cloistered communities ever swim-but I am not 100% sure about that. It is not something I ever thought to ask the VD about. I'll ask the Poor Clares this weekend...goodness, I can't wait to see Mother's face at that question! :P

More active orders often find a way to swim just with the sisters in private. Maybe your beloved Dominicans swim a bit Lil'Monster!

Edited by emmaberry

Lil'Monster

What if I do become a olympic swimmer before I become a dsmme?

Hey....you can never say never :|