dUSt Posted October 21, 2010 Posted October 21, 2010 http://www.hulu.com/watch/186528/the-view-stephen-colbert-walks-off Watch from 2:07 till the end. Stephen Colbert talks about his Catholic faith and what his mother taught him about suffering. It's awesome.
Lil Red Posted October 21, 2010 Posted October 21, 2010 women should stop having face lifts. it makes them look mean and ugly. and meh, to stephen colbert.
MithLuin Posted October 23, 2010 Posted October 23, 2010 That was pretty cool, actually. I mean, I know that usually he is 'in character' and thus more likely to mock faith by going overboard with it, but I think when talking about his family, he was being surprisingly candid/honest. And to express the 'offer it up' view of suffering in such a way makes it more accessible to people who have either never heard that, or only heard it in a disparaging way...ie, the viewers of The View! Who else can get up and address a bunch of people from Hollywood as 'Hello, godless sodomites!' and get away with it?
rhetoricfemme Posted October 24, 2010 Posted October 24, 2010 I enjoy Stephen Colbert, and liked this clip. I think it was clear to see the line drawn between his character and his sincerity toward the end of the conversation. I went through a Colbert phase a while back, and learned he doesn't even let his kids watch his show, because he doesn't want them to confuse the insincerity and tongue-in-cheekness of Colbert the character to conflict with what they know to be honest and true of their dad. And he is very proud of his Catholic faith, which he raises his family in. If I'm not mistaken, I think I also heard that he's actually a Sunday school teacher at his parish...
Sternhauser Posted October 24, 2010 Posted October 24, 2010 [quote name='rhetoricfemme' timestamp='1287884562' post='2181949'] I enjoy Stephen Colbert, and liked this clip. I think it was clear to see the line drawn between his character and his sincerity toward the end of the conversation. I went through a Colbert phase a while back, and learned he doesn't even let his kids watch his show, because he doesn't want them to confuse the insincerity and tongue-in-cheekness of Colbert the character to conflict with what they know to be honest and true of their dad. And he is very proud of his Catholic faith, which he raises his family in. If I'm not mistaken, I think I also heard that he's actually a Sunday school teacher at his parish... [/quote] But he's willing to subject other people's kids to his confusing statements and risque "humor," when he knows their parents aren't going to be instilling [i]any[/i] values in them. Colbert is a funny guy. But a Catholic shouldn't be broadcasting a lot of the stuff he does. ~Sternhauser
rhetoricfemme Posted October 24, 2010 Posted October 24, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1287885029' post='2181953'] But he's willing to subject other people's kids to his confusing statements and risque "humor," when he knows their parents aren't going to be instilling [i]any[/i] values in them. Colbert is a funny guy. But a Catholic shouldn't be broadcasting a lot of the stuff he does. ~Sternhauser [/quote] Well, he doesn't broadcast it as a Catholic point of view. I'm not sure if it's even common knowledge that he's Catholic, rather someone would have to be listening to or reading actual interviews with him in order to learn that fact. As for other peoples' kids watch the Colbert Report, I think they should either be in bed by the time it comes on, or old enough to discern that he is presenting a character and not a real perspective.
Sternhauser Posted October 24, 2010 Posted October 24, 2010 [quote name='rhetoricfemme' timestamp='1287885942' post='2181958'] Well, he doesn't broadcast it as a Catholic point of view. I'm not sure if it's even common knowledge that he's Catholic, rather someone would have to be listening to or reading actual interviews with him in order to learn that fact. As for other peoples' kids watch the Colbert Report, I think they should either be in bed by the time it comes on, or old enough to discern that he is presenting a character and not a real perspective. [/quote] They should be in bed. The bottom line is that Colbert, as an avowed Catholic shouldn't be broadcasting a lot of the stuff he does, because it's scandalous. ~Sternhauser
MithLuin Posted October 25, 2010 Posted October 25, 2010 Agreed. I can hardly be an uncritical fan of the guy, when he spends so much time crossing lines and making a complete mockery of faith. His persona allows him to walk a lot of lines, but obviously many completely secular people would think that any Christian who likes him is a fool - in the 'don't you know you're being mocked?' sort of way. I realize he is mocking the over-the-top interpretations of many things, but that doesn't make him entirely kosher. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGi8jSGpr5U]Good evening, godless sodomites[/url] Funny? yes Appropriate? no A good Catholic role model? Not really. Though his references to [i]Lord of the Rings[/i] are generally appreciated . I loved when he called out a newscaster for using an image of the balrog from an old Tolkien calendar in a segment about the devil. Balrogs and demons are [i]totally[/i] different .
Jesus_lol Posted October 25, 2010 Posted October 25, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1287885029' post='2181953'] But he's willing to subject other people's kids to his confusing statements and risque "humor," when he knows their parents aren't going to be instilling [i]any[/i] values in them. Colbert is a funny guy. But a Catholic shouldn't be broadcasting a lot of the stuff he does. ~Sternhauser [/quote] yes, satire should be banned or something. Its not Colbert's responsibility to make sure any kids other than his own watch or dont watch his show.
Ed Normile Posted October 25, 2010 Posted October 25, 2010 [quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1287979583' post='2182251'] yes, satire should be banned or something. Its not Colbert's responsibility to make sure any kids other than his own watch or dont watch his show. [/quote] Sure its not his responsibilty to address others kids parenting, it is his responsibility as far as what he produces though. I would think that most people here would have a hard time accepting me as a catholic if were to post that I was the leading distributor of abortion procedure suppllies in the world, even if I said I never personally performed an abortion. I could agree as what I produce enables abortions and therefore I am complicent in those procedures. ed
sixpence Posted October 25, 2010 Posted October 25, 2010 Oh stop pretending... You know you all watch the Colbert Report when no one is looking!! WHO IS GONNA BE IN DC on SATURDAY?
Sternhauser Posted October 25, 2010 Posted October 25, 2010 [quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1287979583' post='2182251'] yes, satire should be banned or something. Its not Colbert's responsibility to make sure any kids other than his own watch or dont watch his show. [/quote] I was speaking more of the slight issue of his jokes about oral sex, masturbation, and a thousand other obscene jokes he's made. He has the responsibility not to broadcast such filth, period. ~Sternhauser
ardillacid Posted October 26, 2010 Posted October 26, 2010 Maybe he should be censored by the government for our own good
Sternhauser Posted October 26, 2010 Posted October 26, 2010 [quote name='notardillacid' timestamp='1288053277' post='2182536'] Maybe he should be censored by the government for our own good [/quote] No. To paraphrase William Penn, he should govern himself according to God's precepts, so he isn't ruled by tyrants. ~Sternhauser
havok579257 Posted October 26, 2010 Posted October 26, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1287887461' post='2181967'] They should be in bed. The bottom line is that Colbert, as an avowed Catholic shouldn't be broadcasting a lot of the stuff he does, because it's scandalous. ~Sternhauser [/quote] ABsolutly agree with this statement Edited October 26, 2010 by havok579257
kujo Posted November 2, 2010 Posted November 2, 2010 [quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1288023479' post='2182340'] Sure its not his responsibilty to address others kids parenting, it is his responsibility as far as what he produces though. I would think that most people here would have a hard time accepting me as a catholic if were to post that I was the leading distributor of abortion procedure suppllies in the world, even if I said I never personally performed an abortion. I could agree as what I produce enables abortions and therefore I am complicent in those procedures. ed [/quote] Are you drawing a correlation between satirical scatological humor and the distribution of abortofacients? I know it's fall and yesterday was Halloween, but your strawman argument is pretty lamesauce.
Paddington Posted November 2, 2010 Posted November 2, 2010 The bear-hating monster gave a nice appearance on The View. I will give him that. I'm sure Hitler was pleasant at times too.
Sternhauser Posted November 2, 2010 Posted November 2, 2010 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1288657607' post='2184092'] Are you drawing a correlation between satirical scatological humor and the distribution of abortofacients? I know it's fall and yesterday was Halloween, but your strawman argument is pretty lamesauce. [/quote] Scatological? We're not talking about scatological humor. We're talking sexual perversity, and giving scandal. Participation in grave sin. Ed is comparing grave sin to grave sin, not comparing the gravity of the grave sins. One grave sin, despite the degree of its gravity, is enough to send oneself to hell. ~Sternhauser
kujo Posted November 2, 2010 Posted November 2, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1288660460' post='2184116'] Scatological? We're not talking about scatological humor. We're talking sexual perversity, and giving scandal. Participation in grave sin. Ed is comparing grave sin to grave sin, not comparing the gravity of the grave sins. One grave sin, despite the degree of its gravity, is enough to send oneself to hell. ~Sternhauser [/quote] Which jokes were so gravely-sinful that it they became comparable, in any way, to tangibly supporting and assisting in the murder of an unborn child? Edited November 2, 2010 by kujo
MithLuin Posted November 2, 2010 Posted November 2, 2010 (edited) Sure, some of Colbert's humor is fine. Like [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8y3_Dy0Tw]this segment[/url] with President Obama. Or calling [url=http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/181944/june-07-2006/balrog]CNN for using a picture of a balrog in a segment instead of Satan[/url]. (You'll note that his theology is accurate.) But some of it does cross a whole lot of lines. For instance, the segment where he pretends he is [url=http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/181609/february-27-2006/confess-your-sins-to-stephen]a priest in the confessional[/url], and has people confess their sins to him. It ends with a caller who confesses having impure thoughts for Stephen Colbert, which he responds to by requesting the call be patched through to his dressing room. How can anyone say that's an example of Stephen Colbert, the good Catholic boy??? Edited November 2, 2010 by MithLuin
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now