An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Peoria Getting New Habit

DameAgnes

Sister Rose Therese

Thanks. I like having the scapular and cord back too. It will take some getting used to for all of us. I'm glad they decided to add them. Having the scapular might make it a bit warmer. I don't think having the veil a bit longer will really affect that much. I usually wear a sweater, so I'm really not very concerned about that. I'll just have to get used to lifting up the habit a scapular a bit when going up stairs. The sisters who are doing manual work will have an apron instead of the front part of the scapular, so they won't need to worry about the scapular draging on the floor if they have to bend over. The old habits our sisters used to wear were like that too.

It was the Major Superior with the help of her council that made the decision. By presenting it at a community forum, the sisters had a chance to voice any comments or concerns they had. If anything really serious came up in the forum, the Superior could have changed her mind, if need be. Religious life is not a democracy, but it isn't a dictatorship either.

I think they are still working out some particulars for the pattern. Things like, exactly how wide should the scapular be. It will probably still be a while before we actually get them. I think we're still waiting for the fabric to get in.