Amppax Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 Ok so my school had a mass today, kind of a wrap up of a year long celebration of my schools fiftieth anniversary, and during the Communion meditation, there was a solo by one of the members of the chorus, which was really incredible, and at the end everybody started clapping. I'm pretty sure we are forbidden from clapping in mass, right? It really disrupted the mass, and was really annoying.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 Clapping during Mass is completely inappropriate. [img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv189/Nihil_Obstat/n1311204347_126353_8292.jpg[/img]
Amppax Posted April 15, 2011 Author Posted April 15, 2011 that's what I thought. It's so annoying at my school, we're an all male Catholic school, and we can't even have everybody behaving during mass. It's not like the administration is going to do anything about it, it was literally the entire school.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1302896765' post='2228972'] that's what I thought. It's so annoying at my school, we're an all male Catholic school, and we can't even have everybody behaving during mass. It's not like the administration is going to do anything about it, it was literally the entire school. [/quote] Yeah, that's pretty aggravating. I've had to sit through 'concerts' during Mass too, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, in terms of trying to put up with today's abuses of the Mass. There's a time and a place for music like that, music that inspires emotion and such, but the Mass is absolutely not the time or place. If I had the choice (I don't yet, but I will soon enough) I would attend the Traditional Latin Mass exclusively, and this is part of the reason.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1302896953' post='2228974'] Stealing your image. [/quote] Don't remember where I got it from In any case, it's not stealing. I still have it, and now you have it too.
Laudate_Dominum Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302896645' post='2228970'] Clapping during Mass is completely inappropriate. [img]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv189/Nihil_Obstat/n1311204347_126353_8292.jpg[/img] [/quote] I want to include this quote in a tract that I intend to pass out at the next Mahony conference.
Amppax Posted April 15, 2011 Author Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302897051' post='2228977'] Yeah, that's pretty aggravating. I've had to sit through 'concerts' during Mass too, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, in terms of trying to put up with today's abuses of the Mass. There's a time and a place for music like that, music that inspires emotion and such, but the Mass is absolutely not the time or place. If I had the choice (I don't yet, but I will soon enough) I would attend the Traditional Latin Mass exclusively, and this is part of the reason. [/quote] I think part of the problem is that, while the music (at least imo) was fine, the people at my school honestly look for any opportunity to start clapping. We usually have a song for a communion meditation, and most times there isn't a problem, but today the general immaturity of the student body was compounded by the fact that spring break starts today.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1302897188' post='2228979'] I want to include this quote in a tract that I intend to pass out at the next Mahony conference. [/quote] Whoa, can I come?
Lil Red Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 the phrase: "Clapping in Mass", should always be followed by: "Should Never, Ever, Be Done"
MIKolbe Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 In pursuit of intellectual percision/honesty and clarity, he said that as a Cardinal, not as Pope Benedict XVI. Though I absolutely agree. I had the priviledge of being politely accosted (after Mass) by a parent of one of the children in the children's choir for not clapping. That was fun.
AudreyGrace Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 that quote/image was great, Nihil! same thing happens at my parish from time to time, but it's usually after Mass. Before the final blessing, sometimes my priest takes it upon himself to give announcements. Once in a blue moon, it includes "Didn't the choir do a great job? They deserve a round of applause!" and THEN he does the final blessing. It's sad that the whole prospect is encouraged BY our pastor. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohno.gif[/img]
Nihil Obstat Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1302898972' post='2228996'] In pursuit of intellectual percision/honesty and clarity, he said that as a Cardinal, not as Pope Benedict XVI. Though I absolutely agree. I had the priviledge of being politely accosted (after Mass) by a parent of one of the children in the children's choir for not clapping. That was fun. [/quote] Clapping at my home parish is fairly common. Usually it's technically after the last blessing (Ite missa est, etc.) however, the rubrics need to be followed until after the procession, so I always refuse to clap no matter what the 'presentation' or announcement was about. Often there's applause after baptisms and stuff too, and that makes me even more annoyed because it's right in the middle of Mass, usually after the Credo.
cmaD2006 Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 I don't think applause is appropriate most of the times in Mass. But -- I don't agree with saying never. As a singer/musician I've only had that happen once ... and the moment where it happened, the two of us (I did a duet) were dumbstruck at what just happened. God did something special during that song. We knew it in our hearts and we were convinced of it, because it wasn't us. The applause happened at a parish where we *never* applauded. And I think all of us (priest included) realized that what happened was a special moment. Finally -- in a moment like that one, I can imagine Jesus' reaction. It wasn't condemnation by any means.
MIKolbe Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302899522' post='2229000'] Often there's applause after baptisms and stuff too, and that makes me even more annoyed because it's right in the middle of Mass, usually after the Credo. [/quote] yes. I specifically asked NOT to have both Peyton' and Addie's baptism during any Mass for this very reason. Father kinda looked at me odd... but then I tend to get that alot....
Nihil Obstat Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1302899819' post='2229005'] I don't think applause is appropriate most of the times in Mass. But -- I don't agree with saying never. As a singer/musician I've only had that happen once ... and the moment where it happened, the two of us (I did a duet) were dumbstruck at what just happened. God did something special during that song. We knew it in our hearts and we were convinced of it, because it wasn't us. The applause happened at a parish where we *never* applauded. And I think all of us (priest included) realized that what happened was a special moment. Finally -- in a moment like that one, I can imagine Jesus' reaction. It wasn't condemnation by any means. [/quote] Were they clapping for you? The question I always as is "why?" Why are we clapping? Are we clapping because doing so brings glory to God? Never seen it. It's always to honour a person. Clapping is not part of worship; we don't do it to adore God, or to worship Him, because it's simply not how legitimate worship is done. When people clap, they're clapping for another person, and while that is appropriate elsewhere, it is not in the context of the Mass, which is meant to worship God. Worship is the purpose of the Mass. The communal aspect, the prayer aspect, all are only a legitimate part of Mass inasmuch as they are done in the context of worship to God. I don't mean to pick on you or anything; I can tell that you intend only to honour God, so I'm not questioning your motivation, but I do question whether clapping is ever appropriate in the context of Mass.
dUSt Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302897051' post='2228977'] If I had the choice (I don't yet, but I will soon enough) I would attend the Traditional Latin Mass exclusively, and this is part of the reason. [/quote] I understand your reasoning in today's environment, but sadly, if the Traditional Latin Mass was the norm, we'd still have clapping and abuses. The liturgy is not the problem, proper education is.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1302900928' post='2229015'] I understand your reasoning in today's environment, but sadly, if the Traditional Latin Mass was the norm, we'd still have clapping and abuses. The liturgy is not the problem, proper education is. [/quote] Lex Orandi Lex Credendi. If the Traditional Latin Mass were celebrated everywhere the way it is celebrated now, 99% of liturgical abuse would disappear, and the average Catholic would know far more about his faith. The Liturgy *is* proper education. There is no better way to learn the faith than to follow a faithful Mass and to reflect on it, to offer your prayers up with the priest, and to worship with him.
AudreyGrace Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302901112' post='2229016'] Lex Orandi Lex Credendi. If the Traditional Latin Mass were celebrated everywhere the way it is celebrated now, 99% of liturgical abuse would disappear, and the average Catholic would know far more about his faith. The Liturgy *is* proper education. There is no better way to learn the faith than to follow a faithful Mass and to reflect on it, to offer your prayers up with the priest, and to worship with him. [/quote] i haven't had the privilege of attending a Traditional Latin Mass, so correct me if I'm wrong but... isn't the entire Mass (besides homily?) in Latin? If that were the only Mass I ever went to, it would be hard for me to learn a lot.
dUSt Posted April 15, 2011 Posted April 15, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302900241' post='2229010'] I don't mean to pick on you or anything; I can tell that you intend only to honour God, so I'm not questioning your motivation, but I do question whether clapping is ever appropriate in the context of Mass. [/quote] I am usually very against clapping in mass. Also, I completely agree with B16 in that image you posted. But... I do remember one time where I actually did clap in mass. It wasn't for human achievement. It was after a homily. The parish I was attending was having a lot of issues with a liberal priest and liturgical abuses, etc. Well, a new priest came in. In one of his first homilies, he just totally went hardcore about ending the liturgical abuses, promoting confession, starting adoration at the parish, etc. After the homily, the congregation started clapping--me included. I don't think it was innapropriate at that moment. I don't think we were really praising any human achievement, but showing support and agreement with the things he said needed to be done. I don't know--the appropriateness isn't always so black and white at times like that. I could be wrong.
Recommended Posts