An Old School Catholic Message Board

Affirmative Action

Amppax

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1305583092' post='2242529']
[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/Prince_Vultan.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

I love that movie.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305567296' post='2242361']
I wasn't trying to make an analogy of AA. I was making an analogy to show you that the "power" position discriminating is different from the "weaker" position discriminating. One has a greater effect than the other. You act as if all discrimination is exactly the same, and that's simply not true.
[/quote]
All prejudicial discrimination has the same effect on those being discriminated against.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1305585047' post='2242538']
Well, when we find that better way, I know I would totally support getting rid of AA, because it does have flaw. And i think that dUSt would agree with me on this. So, what is you're suggestion? What is the better way?
[/quote]

My suggestion is that we don't codify racism.

Groo the Wanderer

Why cant we all just get along? Race don't matter. Orcs are people too

[img]http://images.elfwood.com/art/j/e/jedediah/half_orc_family.jpg[/img]

No, orcs are evil spawn of Morgoth and can be destroyed with impunity. Barak Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!*

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1305610648' post='2242674']
Why should my wife, my children and I be punished for the sins of my Grandfather? [/quote]

Funny thing is, my ancestors immigrated here at the perfect time. Both the Irish and the German sides of my family came here post-Civil War, and thus were of course never slave owners. And the Bavarian side of my family made it here in the 1890s, so of course pre World Wars (in fact, both my grandfather and great grandfather were in the US military) and therefore never Nazis.

Basically, we dodged all the major bullets ;).

It's probably best if we [i]not[/i] accuse one another of racism in this thread. If someone espouses a view or opinion on the internet, that doesn't necessarily translate to how they treat their neighbor (either positively or negatively). I mean, by all means, call people out...but attack the idea, not the person.

[size="1"][i]* Axes of the dwarves! The dwarves are upon you![/i][/size]

Don John of Austria

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1305640149' post='2242752']
No, orcs are evil spawn of Morgoth and can be destroyed with impunity. Barak Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!*

Funny thing is, my ancestors immigrated here at the perfect time. Both the Irish and the German sides of my family came here post-Civil War, and thus were of course never slave owners. And the Bavarian side of my family made it here in the 1890s, so of course pre World Wars (in fact, both my grandfather and great grandfather were in the US military) and therefore never Nazis.

Basically, we dodged all the major bullets ;).

It's probably best if we [i]not[/i] accuse one another of racism in this thread. If someone espouses a view or opinion on the internet, that doesn't necessarily translate to how they treat their neighbor (either positively or negatively). I mean, by all means, call people out...but attack the idea, not the person.

[size="1"][i]* Axes of the dwarves! The dwarves are upon you![/i][/size]
[/quote]

Mine did not, one side of my family owned slaves, in payment for it, their women were raped, their house burned and their land stolen.

They were reduced to such poverty they had to leave their home and move to where land was still available, they moved to Texas.

The other side of my family where Northerners. My great grandfather lost 5 brothers in the union army, all volunteers, all joining to make men free.

In either case, so what, niether, thier sin, nor their virtue, is a reflection upon me.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1305610648' post='2242674']
Why should my wife, my children and myself be punished for the sins of my Grandfather?
[/quote]
Because a black man, his wife, and his children are still being punished by the sins of your grandfather.

AudreyGrace

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305643872' post='2242774']
Because a black man, his wife, and his children are still being punished by the sins of your grandfather.
[/quote]

and boom goes the dynamite.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1305584199' post='2242536']
Do you or do you not agree that when AA is applied to a job position in which a white candidate and a black candidate are available for the position and the white candidate is denied, not based on criteria appropriate for the job, but because he is white and does not fill a quota, that is not discrimination? Do you deny that this every happens? Have you ever considered the affects and that it might not actually help minorities in that it creates resentment in whites (not me but not everyone is Catholic) and therefore further discrimination?
[/quote]
I've already addressed this. No, I don't think it is discrimination. There are already many white people who have that job, so how can that job be discriminating against whites? The issue, in my mind, is not if the white person is more qualified than the black person--it's if that white person is more qualified than any of the other white people who already have that job.

Let me put it simply.

You have a job that employs 10 people. They have one opening left. 9 white people have already been hired. A black person is hired because of AA. A "more qualified" (subjective) white person complains about being discriminated against. What I'm saying is, stop complaining about the black guy, and do something to better distinguish yourself from the[b] 9 other white people[/b] who already got the job.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305643872' post='2242774']
[/quote]

Bull.

Every people has been oppressed by someone at somepoint, exactly how far back should we go.

Why am I not entitled to special treatment for being oppressed by black people? I have been racially targeted for violence becuase I am white, I have been passed over for jobs becuase I am white and have a penis, I have watched less qualified people, people who did an inferior job be promoted over me, becuase I am white and have a penis. I am currently being oppressed.

I currently am unemployeed, my job was taken from me an given to a women, a women whose performance was less than my own.

Why is oppression in the past allow for oppression now?

Would it have been better if Linclon ha had his way and the US hasd simply sent all the former slaves back to africa?

If both candidates are black, who do you hire? The more qualified person or the more 'black' person?

Don John of Austria

Being more qualified is not subjecttive.

If I have an advanced degree in the topic, more experiance and a consistant record of results, I am more qualified than the person with a bachelors degree, wihtout much experiance and no record of results.

Qualifications are not subjective

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1305645074' post='2242787']
If both candidates are black, who do you hire? The more qualified person or the more 'black' person?
[/quote]
The one who has the more ghetto name.

Groo the Wanderer

As a Catholic, my group has been oppressed by Romans, Jews, Muslims, Protestants, Japanese, athiests, Nazis, Communists, and the USA among others. I demand favorable treatment from them all and restitution to wit, considering modern-day Catholics are still being persecuted around the world....
:dance:

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305586932' post='2242546']
Did you mean: Balki?

[img]http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/80s/sites/tampabay.com.blogs.80s/files/images/typepad-legacy-files/48715.balki.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
no!!

Don't be ridiculous!!!!

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305645175' post='2242789']
The one who has the more ghetto name.
[/quote]

you are such an instigator....
:drunks: :bananacorn: