An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purifying Vessels At Mass

Gal. 5:22,23

Gal. 5:22,23

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1310830899' post='2268222']
waiting for the new translation of the GIRM and praying it is clarified.
[/quote]

Here is what the 2011 GIRM says:

163. (2nd para.) Upon returning to the altar, the Priest collects the fragments, should any remain, and he stands at the altar or at the credence table and purifies the paten or ciborium over the chalice, and after this purifies the chalice, saying quietly the formula [i]Quod ore sumpsimus, Domine [/i](What has passed our lips), and dries the chalice with a purificator. If the vessels are purified at the altar, they are carried to the credence table by a minister. Nevertheless, it is also permitted to leave vessels needing to be purified, especially if there are several, on a corporal, suitably covered, either on the altar or on the credence table, and to purify them immediately after Mass, after the Dismissal of the people.

284. When Communion is distributed under both kinds:

b) whatever may remain of the Blood of Christ is consumed at the altar by the Priest or the Deacon or the duly instituted acolyte who ministered the chalice. The [b]same[/b][u][/u] then purifies, wipes, and arranges the sacred vessels in the usual way.

So, it appears to me from the above that my 10 year old son should not be drying the vessels. (Not that I've put him in that position again ;) )

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Gal. 5:22,23' timestamp='1310919536' post='2268747']

b) whatever may remain of the Blood of Christ is consumed at the altar by the Priest or the Deacon or the duly instituted acolyte who ministered the chalice. The [b]same[/b][u][/u] then purifies, wipes, and arranges the sacred vessels in the usual way.

So, it appears to me from the above that my 10 year old son should not be drying the vessels. (Not that I've put him in that position again ;) )
[/quote]

OOOHHH! that looks like a clarification to me. Good to have. Time to PO the little old ladies again.....

Anyone know when the new GIRM translation will be promulgated?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Gal. 5:22,23' timestamp='1310919536' post='2268747']

163. (2nd para.) Upon returning to the altar, the Priest collects the fragments, should any remain, and he stands at the altar or at the credence table and purifies the paten or ciborium over the chalice, and after this purifies the chalice, saying quietly the formula [i]Quod ore sumpsimus, Domine [/i](What has passed our lips), and dries the chalice with a purificator. If the vessels are purified at the altar, they are carried to the credence table by a minister. Nevertheless, it is also permitted to leave vessels needing to be purified, especially if there are several, on a corporal, suitably covered, either on the altar or on the credence table, and to purify them immediately after Mass, after the Dismissal of the people.

284. When Communion is distributed under both kinds:

[/quote]
Great to have clarification on this.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1310674371' post='2267459']
Looks like he is confirming what everyone in this thread has already said. Unfortunately. Fr Z doesn't clarify if "drying" is the same thing as "purifying".
[/quote]
Seems clear to me. Drying is not same as purifying. Purifying comes first.

[quote]Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion do not… not… have permission in the USA to purify sacred vessels. This permission was explicitly denied by the Holy See. It had earlier been permitted, but the permission was not renewed. NB: The Pope himself got involved with this one.

It is therefore a serious liturgical abuse for EMCH's to purify. It may be that the pastor of the parish is not aware of this.[/quote]

Edited by Papist