Jaime Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1308190991' post='2254399'] Another "favorite": Overuse and incorrect use of "myself" (as in "Give all the papers to John or myself"). It's "me"! [/quote] why is it always about you?
Adrestia Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 For some reason, I had a crop of students tell me (their volunteer Religious Ed teacher) that "I" always follows "and" in a sentence. When I brought up the difference between a subject and an object, they had no idea what I meant. They believed that "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and I" was correct; and "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and me" was incorrect. When I attempted to correct them, they assumed that I didn't really know English because I'm - well - let's just say that they assumed I have a poor grasp of English grammar. I eventually gave up.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1308198078' post='2254433'] For some reason, I had a crop of students tell me (their volunteer Religious Ed teacher) that "I" always follows "and" in a sentence. When I brought up the difference between a subject and an object, they had no idea what I meant. They believed that "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and I" was correct; and "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and me" was incorrect. When I attempted to correct them, they assumed that I didn't really know English because I'm - well - let's just say that they assumed I have a poor grasp of English grammar. I eventually gave up. [/quote] That's because it gets drilled into students' heads that you never say "me and him", you say "him and I". The educational system has let them down in this respect (in Canada too) because it fails to differentiate for them when me should be used instead of I. Nobody teaches formal grammar anymore in my experience.
Teen_Catholic Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 I just want people to stop saying "like" every five seconds.
PennyLane Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1308198078' post='2254433'] For some reason, I had a crop of students tell me (their volunteer Religious Ed teacher) that "I" always follows "and" in a sentence. When I brought up the difference between a subject and an object, they had no idea what I meant. They believed that "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and I" was correct; and "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and me" was incorrect. When I attempted to correct them, they assumed that I didn't really know English because I'm - well - let's just say that they assumed I have a poor grasp of English grammar. I eventually gave up. [/quote] I always learned to take the first name out, so it would read Mom brought cupcakes for me... haha or you could say mom brought cupcakes for I!! I work with a lot "at-risk" individuals and poor grammar is common. I cringe when people do not use "If I were" vs. "If I was" correctly.
carmenchristi Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='XIX' timestamp='1308181743' post='2254355'] That's a whole nother story. [/quote] That's what I was gonna say!!!! You must of read my mind!
homeschoolmom Posted June 16, 2011 Author Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1308198078' post='2254433'] For some reason, I had a crop of students tell me (their volunteer Religious Ed teacher) that "I" always follows "and" in a sentence. When I brought up the difference between a subject and an object, they had no idea what I meant. They believed that "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and I" was correct; and "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and me" was incorrect. When I attempted to correct them, they assumed that I didn't really know English because I'm - well - let's just say that they assumed I have a poor grasp of English grammar. I eventually gave up. [/quote] [quote name='PennyLane' timestamp='1308198534' post='2254438'] I always learned to take the first name out, so it would read Mom brought cupcakes for me... haha or you could say mom brought cupcakes for I!! [/quote] Exactly. Mom wouldn't bring them for just "I."
Ash Wednesday Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 Thank you. And I'm also relieved that this post wasn't bringing us some bad news or something. Whew!
homeschoolmom Posted June 16, 2011 Author Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308198268' post='2254436'] That's because it gets drilled into students' heads that you never say "me and him", you say "him and I". The educational system has let them down in this respect (in Canada too) because it fails to differentiate for them when me should be used instead of I. Nobody teaches formal grammar anymore in my experience. [/quote] Yes! They are so used to being corrected for "me and him" that they just reverse it and say "him and me." Ouch... that hurts my head. "Him and me went to the park." Um... well, "him" can't go. And "me" can't go... "He and I" people!
Adrestia Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='PennyLane' timestamp='1308198534' post='2254438'] I always learned to take the first name out, so it would read Mom brought cupcakes for me... haha or you could say mom brought cupcakes for I!! I work with a lot "at-risk" individuals and poor grammar is common. I cringe when people do not use "If I were" vs. "If I was" correctly. [/quote] Poor grammar is also common in the middle class white kids that I taught. What made it worse was that they refused to believe that they were wrong and would not accept corrections from me.
Adrestia Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [img]http://www.yourdictionary.com/images/articles/lg/702.DiagrammedSentances.jpg[/img]
Papist Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 Hey. Once you learn English good can’t no one change it. I love “most definitely”. Is there really varying degrees of definite?
homeschoolmom Posted June 16, 2011 Author Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1308228177' post='2254535']I love “most definitely”. Is there really varying degrees of definite? [/quote] Are there varying degrees of definately? Most definately!
HopefulBride Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1308178708' post='2254312'] For me, it's the improper usage of [b]"your" and "you're,"[/b] and "good" and "well." [/quote] This. THIS!!!!! and also, It's and Its
LaPetiteSoeur Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1308178708' post='2254312'] For me, it's the improper usage of "your" and "you're," and "good" and "well." [/quote] Yes! And "on accident." My little sisters says it ALL THE TIME. It's by accident, I'm pretty sure. Though I can't really talk, as I still mess up [i]less[/i] and [i]fewer[/i]. Everytime.
HopefulBride Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='Teen_Catholic' timestamp='1308198504' post='2254437'] I just want people to stop saying "like" every five seconds. [/quote] Like, why you gotta like pick on me???
sixpence Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 I just wanted to say that I had an amesome Christian Brother English teacher who actually taught grammar in high school! Yey Bro. Paul!!
Papist Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1308228929' post='2254541'] Are there varying degrees of definately? Most definately! [/quote] I think you might be more definitely right.
MIKolbe Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 and stop the incessant use of the verb 'go' in all its tenses...and 'all' I was at the stoplight, and this guy [i]went[/i] "what's up"..and I was [i]all[/i], "hey"!
LaPetiteSoeur Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1308230168' post='2254550'] I just wanted to say that I had an amesome Christian Brother English teacher who actually taught grammar in high school! Yey Bro. Paul!! [/quote] Yay for the Christian brothers! We had "Grammar Matters" in public school, but that was phased out when the best teacher retired. In Catholic school, we had sentence diagraming (Thanks Sr. Mary! It was [i]really[/i] helpful and I wish I remembered how to do it) and spelling tests every week. Then in high school....we had big points deducted for every mistake in an essay, so we checked them over and over. Oh! and in preparation for AP tests, we'd go over tons of grammar. too bad no one in my sister's grade and younger have rarely heard of grammar.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now