An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just A Heads Up

homeschoolmom

Vincent Vega

I also hate when people fail to know the proper usage/difference between the simple past and the perfect tense.

E.g., I have went.../She should have went...

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1308178224' post='2254304']
There is no such phrase as "would of" or "may of." It's "would have" and "may have."

Thanks.
[/quote]

I should of known better...

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1308178857' post='2254314']
for me it's their/they're/there :wall:
[/quote]

YES! THIS!

homeschoolmom

Another "favorite": Overuse and incorrect use of "myself" (as in "Give all the papers to John or myself"). It's "me"!

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1308190991' post='2254399']
Another "favorite": Overuse and incorrect use of "myself" (as in "Give all the papers to John or myself"). It's "me"!
[/quote]

why is it always about you?

For some reason, I had a crop of students tell me (their volunteer Religious Ed teacher) that "I" always follows "and" in a sentence. When I brought up the difference between a subject and an object, they had no idea what I meant. They believed that "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and I" was correct; and "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and me" was incorrect. When I attempted to correct them, they assumed that I didn't really know English because I'm - well - let's just say that they assumed I have a poor grasp of English grammar. I eventually gave up.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1308198078' post='2254433']
For some reason, I had a crop of students tell me (their volunteer Religious Ed teacher) that "I" always follows "and" in a sentence. When I brought up the difference between a subject and an object, they had no idea what I meant. They believed that "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and I" was correct; and "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and me" was incorrect. When I attempted to correct them, they assumed that I didn't really know English because I'm - well - let's just say that they assumed I have a poor grasp of English grammar. I eventually gave up.
[/quote]
That's because it gets drilled into students' heads that you never say "me and him", you say "him and I". The educational system has let them down in this respect (in Canada too) because it fails to differentiate for them when me should be used instead of I. Nobody teaches formal grammar anymore in my experience.

[/quote]

I always learned to take the first name out, so it would read Mom brought cupcakes for me... haha or you could say mom brought cupcakes for I!! :)

:wall:

I work with a lot "at-risk" individuals and poor grammar is common. I cringe when people do not use "If I were" vs. "If I was" correctly.

carmenchristi

[quote name='XIX' timestamp='1308181743' post='2254355']
That's a whole nother story.
[/quote]

That's what I was gonna say!!!! You must of read my mind!

homeschoolmom

[/quote]

[quote name='PennyLane' timestamp='1308198534' post='2254438']
I always learned to take the first name out, so it would read Mom brought cupcakes for me... haha or you could say mom brought cupcakes for I!! :)
[/quote]

Exactly. Mom wouldn't bring them for just "I."

Ash Wednesday

Thank you. And I'm also relieved that this post wasn't bringing us some bad news or something. Whew!

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308198268' post='2254436']
That's because it gets drilled into students' heads that you never say "me and him", you say "him and I". The educational system has let them down in this respect (in Canada too) because it fails to differentiate for them when me should be used instead of I. Nobody teaches formal grammar anymore in my experience.
[/quote]
Yes! They are so used to being corrected for "me and him" that they just reverse it and say "him and me." Ouch... that hurts my head. "Him and me went to the park." Um... well, "him" can't go. And "me" can't go... "He and I" people!

[quote name='PennyLane' timestamp='1308198534' post='2254438']

:wall:

I work with a lot "at-risk" individuals and poor grammar is common. I cringe when people do not use "If I were" vs. "If I was" correctly.
[/quote]

Poor grammar is also common in the middle class white kids that I taught. What made it worse was that they refused to believe that they were wrong and would not accept corrections from me.