An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just A Heads Up

homeschoolmom

Hey. Once you learn English good can’t no one change it.

I love “most definitely”. Is there really varying degrees of definite?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1308228177' post='2254535']I love “most definitely”. Is there really varying degrees of definite?
[/quote]
Are there varying degrees of definately? Most definately!

HopefulBride

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1308178708' post='2254312']
For me, it's the improper usage of [b]"your" and "you're,"[/b] and "good" and "well."
[/quote]

This. THIS!!!!! and also, It's and Its

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1308178708' post='2254312']
For me, it's the improper usage of "your" and "you're," and "good" and "well."
[/quote]

Yes! And "on accident." My little sisters says it ALL THE TIME. It's by accident, I'm pretty sure. Though I can't really talk, as I still mess up [i]less[/i] and [i]fewer[/i]. Everytime.

HopefulBride

[quote name='Teen_Catholic' timestamp='1308198504' post='2254437']
I just want people to stop saying "like" every five seconds.
[/quote]

Like, why you gotta like pick on me???

I just wanted to say that I had an amesome Christian Brother English teacher who actually taught grammar in high school! Yey Bro. Paul!!

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1308228929' post='2254541']
Are there varying degrees of definately? Most definately!
[/quote]
I think you might be more definitely right.

and stop the incessant use of the verb 'go' in all its tenses...and 'all'

I was at the stoplight, and this guy [i]went[/i] "what's up"..and I was [i]all[/i], "hey"!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1308230168' post='2254550']
I just wanted to say that I had an amesome Christian Brother English teacher who actually taught grammar in high school! Yey Bro. Paul!!
[/quote]

Yay for the Christian brothers! We had "Grammar Matters" in public school, but that was phased out when the best teacher retired. In Catholic school, we had sentence diagraming (Thanks Sr. Mary! It was [i]really[/i] helpful and I wish I remembered how to do it) and spelling tests every week. Then in high school....we had big points deducted for every mistake in an essay, so we checked them over and over. Oh! and in preparation for AP tests, we'd go over tons of grammar. too bad no one in my sister's grade and younger have rarely heard of grammar.

MissScripture

During my freshman year of college, I had to transfer out of a logic class after a week, because I couldn't handle how few of my classmates could figure out the subject of the sentence. They were simple sentences, too! It should not have been difficult! But after 4 days of leaving the class and feeling like this: :wall:, I just switched to Intro to the Bible. That was a much better option!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1308230632' post='2254556']
Yay for the Christian brothers! We had "Grammar Matters" in public school, but that was phased out when the best teacher retired. In Catholic school, we had sentence diagraming (Thanks Sr. Mary! It was [i]really[/i] helpful and I wish I remembered how to do it) and spelling tests every week. Then in high school....we had big points deducted for every mistake in an essay, so we checked them over and over. Oh! and in preparation for AP tests, we'd go over tons of grammar. too bad no one in my sister's grade and younger have rarely heard of grammar.
[/quote]

Some can't even spell grammer.

By the way, when did it become acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition? I know that Strunk and White were not grammarians, but they were correct about prepositions... weren't they?

ref: http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1308264722' post='2254818']
Some can't even spell grammer.

By the way, when did it become acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition? I know that Strunk and White were not grammarians, but they were correct about prepositions... weren't they?

ref: http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497
[/quote]
A lot of modern style guides will say that one should avoid ending with prepositions, but not so much that they make the sentence sound awkward.
Iunno, I still won't do it. Call me old fashioned.

MissScripture

Well, half the time, the reason it sounds awkward is because people don't use proper grammar in the rest of the sentence!

Being the Internet, I accept what people can put forward. People come from different backgrounds and are not always privy to the same education or frame of reference. Whenever subjects like this come up I think of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM"]Grammar Nazis[/url]. I admit my grammar and spelling could use some improvement, but one would have to understand school growing up for me to know why. To put it simply, it was never taught to me and they didn't care.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat