An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just A Heads Up

homeschoolmom

rhetoricfemme

!

If you're going to use the ellipsis (...) make sure the put a space between the last word and the ellipsis.

I don't always do this myself, but always notice when it's used improperly. Even if I'm the one doing it ...

fides quarens intellectum

People would make less grammatical mistake's if they knew their grammar good.

Edited by fides quarens intellectum

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' timestamp='1308268849' post='2254833']
!

If you're going to use the ellipsis (...) make sure the put a space between the last word and the ellipsis.

I don't always do this myself, but always notice when it's used improperly. Even if I'm the one doing it ...
[/quote]
I do that consistently, even though I know it's wrong, and even though I know it completely destroys my sentence structure. :proud: I like doing it, and I think it adds a bit of my personality to the occasional post.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308270857' post='2254844']
I do that consistently, even though I know it's wrong, and even though I know it completely destroys my sentence structure. :proud: I like doing it, and I think it adds a bit of my personality to the occasional post.
[/quote]
Bleh... I never use a space...

Vincent Vega

[quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1308264722' post='2254818']

By the way, when did it become acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition? I know that Strunk and White were not grammarians, but they were correct about prepositions... weren't they?

ref: http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497
[/quote]

"Some of the "rules" of English grammar that you learned in school were devised by pedants who believed that English was inferior to Latin and should be improved by forcing it onto the Procrustean bed of Latin grammar. But English is descended from an ancestral German dialect, not from Latin, and certain of the rules based on Latin grammar simply do not fit the structure of English.

Often what looks like a preposition in an English sentence is really not a preposition but a part of the verb (the technical term is adverbial particle). Consider these verbs: to put, to put up, to put up with. Obviously these are not the same verbs, and equally obviously the words that look like familiar prepositions are actually a part of each of the last two verbs."
http://grammartips.homestead.com/prepositions1.html

The reason that moving the preposition to somewhere other than the final position sounds so terrible becomes clear when you study German. (And although we get something like 70% of our modern day vocabulary from Latin, our grammar is still primarily derived of Germanic roots.)
There are verbs in German that are basically composed of a preposition part and a "do" part. Take this sentence for instance:
Ich [b]stehe [/b]am 8 Uhr [b]auf[/b]. = I get up at 8 o'clock.
The verb is bolded, and its infinitive is "aufstehen". Because our infinitives work differently, this quirk is not as apparent in our language, and for the life of me I cannot think of any examples right now, but the answer is that it can generally be correct to end a sentence with a preposition and the "rule" was born of silly Latinophilia with no historic basis.

MissScripture

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' timestamp='1308268849' post='2254833']
!

[/quote]
The worst is when people use too many periods in the ellipsis. :wall: That is one thing that MAJORLY bugs me.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1308228929' post='2254541']
Are there varying degrees of definately? Most definately!
[/quote]

Come on, let's get that spelling correct - you can do better than that!

It's "most defiantly!"

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1308229318' post='2254544']
Yes! And "on accident." My little sisters says it ALL THE TIME. It's by accident, I'm pretty sure. Though I can't really talk, as I still mess up [i]less[/i] and [i]fewer[/i]. Everytime.
[/quote]

Ummm.... I'm not sure how to break this to you.... "Everytime" is supposed to be [i]two[/i] words..... sorry... crawling back in my hole now....

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1308282582' post='2254946']
The worst is when people use too many periods in the ellipsis. :wall: That is one thing that MAJORLY bugs me.
[/quote]

Vincent Vega

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1308272181' post='2254859']
[/quote]
stehe [u]um[/u]*
Sorry.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

homeschoolmom

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1308272181' post='2254859']
"Some of the "rules" of English grammar that you learned in school were devised by pedants who believed that English was inferior to Latin and should be improved by forcing it onto the Procrustean bed of Latin grammar. But English is descended from an ancestral German dialect, not from Latin, and certain of the rules based on Latin grammar simply do not fit the structure of English.

Often what looks like a preposition in an English sentence is really not a preposition but a part of the verb (the technical term is adverbial particle). Consider these verbs: to put, to put up, to put up with. Obviously these are not the same verbs, and equally obviously the words that look like familiar prepositions are actually a part of each of the last two verbs."
http://grammartips.homestead.com/prepositions1.html

The reason that moving the preposition to somewhere other than the final position sounds so terrible becomes clear when you study German. (And although we get something like 70% of our modern day vocabulary from Latin, our grammar is still primarily derived of Germanic roots.)
There are verbs in German that are basically composed of a preposition part and a "do" part. Take this sentence for instance:
The verb is bolded, and its infinitive is "aufstehen". Because our infinitives work differently, this quirk is not as apparent in our language, and for the life of me I cannot think of any examples right now, but the answer is that it can generally be correct to end a sentence with a preposition and the "rule" was born of silly Latinophilia with no historic basis.
[/quote]
Thanks, that was very interesting. :)

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1308287184' post='2254964']
stehe [u]um[/u]*
Sorry.
[/quote]
:blink: I was sorta wondering...

Archaeology cat

[quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1308198078' post='2254433']
For some reason, I had a crop of students tell me (their volunteer Religious Ed teacher) that "I" always follows "and" in a sentence. When I brought up the difference between a subject and an object, they had no idea what I meant. They believed that "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and I" was correct; and "Mom brought cupcakes for Tom and me" was incorrect. When I attempted to correct them, they assumed that I didn't really know English because I'm - well - let's just say that they assumed I have a poor grasp of English grammar. I eventually gave up.
[/quote]
Yes! Annoys me to no end

[quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1308227820' post='2254533']
[img]http://www.yourdictionary.com/images/articles/lg/702.DiagrammedSentances.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Love it. I had to diagram sentences in 7th grade.

Other pet peeve is using "mute" instead of "moot".