An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants Believe This Stuff?

Lil Red

looking at comments over at [url="http://www.redding.com/news/2011/jul/06/priest-accused-of-improper-behavior/#comments"]this thread[/url] (please no commentary on the Fr. Corapi case, or I will delete them), and saw this comment:

[quote]People act like this is new, The Catholic Church has been doing things like this for centuries...and guess what these same men shaped the very belief system all you devout people follow today!!! Some facts about the Papacy:
1.Britain is owned by the Vatican.
(Treaty of 1213)

2.The Pope can abolish any law in the United States
(Elements of Ecclesiastical Law Vol. 1, 53-54)

3.The Pope claims to own the entire planet through the laws of conquest and discovery.
(Papal Bulls of 1495 & 1493)

4.The Pope has ordered the genocide and enslavement of Millions of people.
(Papal Bulls of 1455 & 1493)

5.The Pope's laws are obligatory on everyone.
(Bened. XIV., De Syn. Dioec, lib, ix, c. vii, n. 4. Prati, 1844 Syllabus Prop 28, 29, 44)

Dont be fooled by spooky language, and clean decorated linen...ever wonder why the Pope wears Red...Power Color! If it were influence they were searching for, he would be in light blue, But nope Red is used, cause its a colored symbol of Power and Control, plus it stimulates appetite...ever wonder why most restaurants have red in there scheme! Tons going on before your eyes, but people stay asleep! Men of Power get away with it, cause most people depend on evidence to sway there belief...so if this is the case, then Casey Anthony IS Not Guilty...funny people gotta have evidence for a murder trial, but they dont have to have evidence for a ghostly divine entity to be true! Wow!!![/quote]

:blink:

Maximilianus

Makes me want to start a blog exclusively in Latin called "Spooky Language & Decorated Linen"

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1310082475' post='2264191']
Makes me want to start a blog exclusively in Latin called "Spooky Language & Decorated Linen"
[/quote]
:lol4:

CatherineM

Some Protestants do believe this stuff. I grew up where Catholics were about 5% of the population. I've been called an idol worshiper more times than I can remember.

I have experienced such sayings down here in NC. When my brother's wife converted her niece[her sister's daughter] asked her, "Aunt Kim. Your not going to believe in Jesus anymore?" And they actually believe we Catholics do not believe in the Bible. Good stuff.

Sounds like Jack Chick's stuff. Catholicism in his comics is responsible for:
1) The assassination of Lincoln
2) The rise of the Nazis
3) The rise of Communism
4) The US Civil War
5) The assassination of JFK

And so many more.

And I'm with Catherine on this, some do, some don't. I was raised "knowing" Catholics knew nothing about their faith and were idol worshipers. Granted, the Catholics I knew on a personal basis did nothing to make me think differently; all of them were apathetic, angry, laughed a lot at the Sacraments and would boast about lying in Confession, etc.

OnlySunshine

People believe some pretty kooky stuff. Nevermind that they don't know the first thing about Catholicism. Ignorance is not always bliss. This post really had me going:
[quote]
You got that right! Seems to me "according to the Bible" that Jesus spent the last 2 years of his life with a prostitute. When I was younger I spent a great deal of time involved in the church untill I figured out what a "corrupt hierarchy" really was. I do not know the whole story, but I do believe you are right about "casting stones". What else does the Bible say? " You shall build NO temple in my name". Best as I can figure God has no use for my 10%.[/quote]

dominicansoul

i find it funny because it seems they spend too much time thinking about what Catholics believe. I have no clue what the more than 30,000 seperated and unique protestant denominations believe in ...I can deduce that what they do believe in is nothing but chaotic, since they can't even agree amongst themselves ...they even protest each other ...

homeschoolmom

I don't see anything in his comments to indicate he's a Protestant.... a crazy person, yes, but not necessarily a Protestant one.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1310091047' post='2264244']
i find it funny because it seems they spend too much time thinking about what Catholics believe. I have no clue what the more than 30,000 seperated and unique protestant denominations believe in ...I can deduce that what they do believe in is nothing but chaotic, since they can't even agree amongst themselves ...[b]they even protest each other ...[/b]
[/quote]

rotfl

Lil'Monster

i find it funny because it seems they spend too much time thinking about what Catholics believe. I have no clue what the more than 30,000 seperated and unique protestant denominations believe in ...I can deduce that what they do believe in is nothing but chaotic, since they can't even agree amongst themselves ...they even protest each other ...
[/quote]

well said ds well said :clapping:

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1310091685' post='2264247']
I don't see anything in his comments to indicate he's a Protestant.... a crazy person, yes, but not necessarily a Protestant one.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've found that most "true" Protestants aren't as misinformed about Catholicism, or at least they usually don't embrace the crazy stuff Jack Chick produces. And by "true" I mean mainline, who can eventually trace their origins back to a literal "protester" to the Catholic Church (or protesting one who did). They don't like us, mostly, but they know [i]why[/i]...usually for real theological reasons. It's either the fringe crazies who actually believe that conspiracy stuff, or whole groups who upstarted on their own.

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1310082475' post='2264191']
[/quote]

Could we have a board called that... where we could discuss liturgy?

Basilisa Marie

[/quote]

...and this is why I have respect for "real" Protestants. The ones who actually have doctrines they all believe and know why they disagree with Catholics/everyone else. All those other groups that cluster around some person who opened a Bible and suddenly decided that he/she knew exactly what it all meant without formal study...I mean come on, can you really be that arrogant in the face of a denomination that's about 2000 years ahead of you? :)