An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants Believe This Stuff?

Lil Red

Maximilianus

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310153142' post='2264580']
Okay, thanks for the clarification. And, Pope Benedict DOES wear red shoes, too? Right?
[/quote]

Usually

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310153142' post='2264580']
Okay, thanks for the clarification. And, Pope Benedict DOES wear red shoes, too? Right?
[/quote]
I think so. But most people won't notice that, because of the long robes he usually wears, too.

Most of his clothing normally is white. And the Pope wears white because one of the Popes was Dominican, and just kept his Dominican habit, and since then, they've worn white, unless they're wearing the robes to celebrate Mass, of course.

infinitelord1

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1310152417' post='2264576']
This. I was always taught for example Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses were in no way at all Christian, and that Catholics were sort of a person by person thing, because they were so apathetic and had tendencies towards idolatry and such. That said, it was a "known" thing most of them weren't Christian.
[/quote]

Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Oneness Pentecostals, etc. are not Christian. We become Christian in our Baptism. The Baptism must be done in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in order for it to be valid. Upon Baptism we receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. are non-trinitarian. If you are non-trinitarian, you would not Baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. You would probably only Baptize in the name of Jesus Christ. In which case the Baptism would not be valid, and you would not receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310168360' post='2264735']
Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Oneness Pentecostals, etc. are not Christian. We become Christian in our Baptism. The Baptism must be done in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in order for it to be valid. Upon Baptism we receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. are non-trinitarian. If you are non-trinitarian, you would not Baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. You would probably only Baptize in the name of Jesus Christ. In which case the Baptism would not be valid, and you would not receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
[/quote]

Yes?

tinytherese

Most Protestants I meet are either fundamentalist or liberal/relativistic/syncretistic. I've met few that are in the middle of those extremes. The liberal ones seem to be the hardest to dialogue with. It seems as if the majority of apologetics material for helping Catholics answer certain claims are geared towards fundamentalist objections. I know one guy who belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church who believes that the Bible contains errors in it because there are certain passages that he disagrees with.

I don't mean to offend, but there seems to be [i]some[/i] people who are Protestant or who left the Catholic Church for emotional reasons as opposed to being opposed to intellectual ones.

There are other Protestants who think that the Catholic Church used to be the true Church, but that it later became corrupt.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1310080601' post='2264166']
I thought the Pope wore white... :unsure:
[/quote]

[img]http://ricochet.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/redshoes/24280-1-eng-US/redshoes_lightbox.jpg[/img]

Its all about the shoes baby

infinitelord1

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1310189974' post='2264867']
Most Protestants I meet are either fundamentalist or liberal/relativistic/syncretistic. I've met few that are in the middle of those extremes. The liberal ones seem to be the hardest to dialogue with. It seems as if the majority of apologetics material for helping Catholics answer certain claims are geared towards fundamentalist objections. I know one guy who belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church who believes that the Bible contains errors in it because there are certain passages that he disagrees with.

I don't mean to offend, but there seems to be [i]some[/i] people who are Protestant or who left the Catholic Church for emotional reasons as opposed to being opposed to intellectual ones.

There are other Protestants who think that the Catholic Church used to be the true Church, but that it later became corrupt.
[/quote]

Very Interesting. I, personally, am Catholic because I agree with the teachings of the Catholic Church. It has nothing to do with feelings.

Edited by infinitelord1

faithcecelia

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310168360' post='2264735']
[/quote]

I don't know much about the others (less common over here) but Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian for far more reasons than baptism! Have you ever read one of their Bibles? Wow, they are scary :blink:

I was Christian for many, many years before I was baptised. I do believe its sometime we need not optional (hence I was baptised, long before I became Catholic) but there is far more to being Christian than baptism.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310193420' post='2264888']
Very Interesting. I, personally, am Catholic because I agree with the teachings of the Catholic Church. It has nothing to do with feelings.
[/quote]
:clapping: Bravo. Its so rare that people get the point that its not about "feelings".

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1310197473' post='2264903']
I don't know much about the others (less common over here) but Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christian for far more reasons than baptism! Have you ever read one of their Bibles? Wow, they are scary :blink:

[/quote]
I have a feeling you'd like the priest at my home parish, he did a six week course on Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, and the time period they came out of. I loved his story of his JW neighbor growing up, who would joke with him about their hatred of holidays, "We're going to go burn the Easter Bunny in effigy, wanna come?" He's not too liked by the Mormons after convincing two of their missionaries to leave the neighborhood while on their "mission" and go to an amusement park with him. They won't even deliver the Book of Mormon to his door anymore.

Some things the JWs often stumble over when they come to my door are questions like:
1) Why didn't the world end when you all predicted it in 1925 and 1975?
2) If the soul is our body, then why does the Christ make such a clear delineation between the two in Matthew chapter 10?
3) Furthermore, if the body and the spirit are one, then why does Stephen pray "receive my spirit" before he is killed in Acts?
4) Why is Christ only considered "a god" and not "God" as per your New World Translation?
5) Why did significant doctrinal changes occur between your founding by Charles Russel and when Joseph Rutherford took over? If you believe it to be progressive revelation, then could you tell me why God would give you conflicting revelations?
6) Why did 75% of your church leave during the first few years of Rutherford's presidency?
7) Why did Rutherford change previous JW doctrine to say that Jesus Christ died on a tree instead of a cross?
8) Continuing on the direction of Rutherford, he's the one who prohibited celebrating holidays and birthdays, so why wasn't it forbidden by the first President of your faith; if Charles Russel was truly inspired by God, why didn't he acknowledge the pagan nature of these celebrations?
9) Why has your faith's view of Heaven continued to change as you gain more members and thus no longer fit the original 144,000 viewpoint? Is it once more the idea of "Progressive Revelation"?
10) On page 336 of [i]All Scripture is Inspired of God[/i], your governing body states that the Bible is reliable and accurate in a scientific and historical sense, but even though that is to be taken in a mostly literal sense, then why does page 9 of the same work state that parts of the Bible need to be accepted as symbolic? If the Bible is completely accurate and reliable, then why would it be reduced to some things being symbolic?

Edit: It should be noted that these questions are posed as questions and are not intended to violate the "negative criticism of other religions" rule.

Edited by BG45

Anybody remember Budge?

And this begs the question of exactly what colors a godly Bible-believin' Christian is required to wear.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1310326329' post='2265410']
Anybody remember Budge?

[/quote]

Oh Budge....I think she had me on ignore, as did Madame V.

The good old days, when YOU weren't the biggest villain on PM :)

Edited by kujo

infinitelord1

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1310197473' post='2264903']

I was Christian for many, many years before I was baptised. I do believe its sometime we need not optional (hence I was baptised, long before I became Catholic) but there is far more to being Christian than baptism.
[/quote]

Just so you know...

1) The Early Church Fathers taught that you must be Baptized in order to see the Kingdom of Heaven. If you are not Baptized you will not see Heaven. Jesus said this when he said that "unless you are born of water and spirit you will not see the Kingdom of Heaven"

2) The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that, upon Baptism, you receive the "Mark of Christ" which would be the opposite of the "Mark of the Beast" found in revelation. Im pretty confident you are not officially a Christian until you are baptized. You certainly do not have the Gifts of the Holy Spirit until you are Baptized.

Edited by infinitelord1

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1310326851' post='2265414']
Apparently, don't wear red! Even red shoes indicates you are power hungry!
[/quote]

Even ruby slippers?

ed