An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants Believe This Stuff?

Lil Red

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1310326856' post='2265415']
Oh Budge....I think she had me on ignore, as did Madame V.

The good old days, when YOU weren't the biggest villain on PM :)
[/quote]
I thought you held that honor.

I'm one of the good guys, remember?

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310168360' post='2264735']
Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Oneness Pentecostals, etc. are not Christian. We become Christian in our Baptism. The Baptism must be done in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in order for it to be valid. Upon Baptism we receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. are non-trinitarian. If you are non-trinitarian, you would not Baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. You would probably only Baptize in the name of Jesus Christ. In which case the Baptism would not be valid, and you would not receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
[/quote]

Sadly, there are a lot of mainline protestant churches that normally baptize infants who aren't baptizing them validly (furthermore, the adults aren't be baptized validly either). At a Congregationalist church where I work as the choir's section leader, babies are baptized in the name of the creator, the Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Some other churches say creator, redeemer, sanctifier, or some other variation. I think churches are doing this more now to be gender neutral. In any case, these aren't the names of the persons of the Holy Trinity and therefore those babies aren't being baptized. It's always so disappointing to watch. :(

Can I get like a list of all the fake Christian denoms.? Just because my home town is littered with protties who despise Catholics and I approach apologetics very seriously. ALWAYS BE PREPARED :D and that involves knowing the beliefs of other denoms.

[quote name='iheartjp2' timestamp='1310422901' post='2265931']
Sadly, there are a lot of mainline protestant churches that normally baptize infants who aren't baptizing them validly (furthermore, the adults aren't be baptized validly either). At a Congregationalist church where I work as the choir's section leader, babies are baptized in the name of the creator, the Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Some other churches say creator, redeemer, sanctifier, or some other variation. I think churches are doing this more now to be gender neutral. In any case, these aren't the names of the persons of the Holy Trinity and therefore those babies aren't being baptized. It's always so disappointing to watch. :(
[/quote]

Sorry to butt in, I know you weren't talking to me, but you just made me think of an article from the other day on Get Religion: Religion's Ghosts in the Media. It was about how one Congregationalist church, the United Church of Christ, has [url="http://www.getreligion.org/2011/07/pod-people-trinitarian-editing-2-0/"]struck God the Father from the Trinity in their denominational constitution[/url]. Now, they've not done away with God, but they did do away with "the Father". The article even points out that if the churches in the denomination follow that vote, it invalidates baptismal agreements with the Presbyterians and the USCCB because it's no longer the proper Trinitarian formula, just like you said! :(

MargaretTeresa

I just have to laugh because I'm a former Protestant and I never believed any of that stuff. And the Pope wears white! for goodness sake!

I was raised United Methodist. I was raised believing in the Real Presence. No one ever told me it was only a symbol.
I was raised being told that Catholics and Methodists are 1st cousins in the belief department.

My friend studied in Quito, Ecuador this past semester. I asked her about Catholicism there and about the approved Mary apparations there. All I got was that the "Christians are tainted. They have up statues of baby Jesus and Mary up everywhere and worship them. It's sad."

I managed to bite my tongue and wait until we were off the phone to bust out laughing.

Oh, Protestants....

Maximilianus

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1310596568' post='2267130']
And the Pope wears white!
[/quote]

[/size][/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"]His cassock, but he wears a red mozzetta outside of the Easter, so we can't really deny that he wears red, rather we have to explain the real meaning of the red mozzetta.[/size][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/benodette/SpanishSt2b.jpg[/img] [img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/benodette/military216716-12095Hertz.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.wdtprs.com/images/08_05_12_B6_red_mozzetta.jpg[/img][/size][/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"]
[/size][/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]

Reminds me of an Archbishop Fulton Sheen quote:

[quote][font=arial, helvetica, tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida,]There are not more than 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church.[/font][/quote]

IgnatiusofLoyola

This guy is a kook and the vast majority of Protestants in the world do not believe any of this stuff. To think that Protestants are stupid enough to believe this stuff is an insult to Protestants. Of course, there are a few idiot Protestants who will believe anything, but then again, there are also some Catholics with some pretty off-the-wall beliefs.

I can't believe we're still talking about this. It's insulting to Protestants to give this idiot any more space on Phatmass. We've already given him too much publicity already.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310610244' post='2267217']
This guy is a kook and the vast majority of Protestants in the world do not believe any of this stuff. To think that Protestants are stupid enough to believe this stuff is an insult to Protestants. Of course, there are a few idiot Protestants who will believe anything, but then again, there are also some Catholics with some pretty off-the-wall beliefs.

I can't believe we're still talking about this. It's insulting to Protestants to give this idiot any more space on Phatmass. We've already given him too much publicity already.[/quote]

actually - if the Eucharist is a symbol (as Protestants claim), then they have every right to charge us with idolatry of food (and not very good food at that). if the Blessed Mother & the saints can't intercede for us, then they have every right to call us Mary-worshippers. if the Church is not founded on the rock of Peter, then they have every right to say that we follow the Pope rather than Christ. If everything the Church says is true, is not true, then they have every right to call us every vile name in the book. At least I know where I stand with a Protestant like this. At least I know what the objections are - even as I mock them.

insulting to Protestants? really? Protestantism is an insult to Catholicism. to be a Protestant is to protest the Catholic Church. To pretend or believe otherwise is to be deliberately obtuse or to not have thought about it very well. (and besides, I think exposing any kind of idiocy - Protestant or Catholic - to the light of day is a good thing. Since this is a Catholic site, it's fair that Protestant idiocy is posted most of the time.)

(Iggy - I am not trying to be hurtful to you. I respect you as a poster here on phatmass, and a Christian. I am not trying to be hurtful to anyone, period. This post is not specifically aimed at you, Iggy and your situation [because I think you are trying to be as true as you can be to your beliefs, while trying to reconcile them to what the Catholic Church teaches]. But I cannot deny who I am, a Catholic. I cannot deny that I think the split away from the Church was evil. I cannot deny that I think that split was the devil working through Luther. I think the devil works mighty hard to make sure people don't convert to the Catholic Faith.)

btw, this post took me 10 minutes to write, to make sure that I was being clear in my points. I don't expect that I succeeded, but I tried. :)

Edited by Lil Red

infinitelord1

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1310568626' post='2266894']
Can I get like a list of all the fake Christian denoms.? Just because my home town is littered with protties who despise Catholics and I approach apologetics very seriously. ALWAYS BE PREPARED :D and that involves knowing the beliefs of other denoms.
[/quote]

The main ones are:

1) Jehovah's Witnesses
2) Oneness Pentecostal
3) Mormons

infinitelord1

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1310596568' post='2267130']
I just have to laugh because I'm a former Protestant and I never believed any of that stuff. And the Pope wears white! for goodness sake!

I was raised United Methodist. I was raised believing in the Real Presence. No one ever told me it was only a symbol.
I was raised being told that Catholics and Methodists are 1st cousins in the belief department.

My friend studied in Quito, Ecuador this past semester. I asked her about Catholicism there and about the approved Mary apparations there. All I got was that the "Christians are tainted. They have up statues of baby Jesus and Mary up everywhere and worship them. It's sad."

I managed to bite my tongue and wait until we were off the phone to bust out laughing.

Oh, Protestants....
[/quote]

They are good at giving opinions. Usually there is no reasoning behind these opinions.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Don't worry, Lil Red. I don't want you to deny who you are--you couldn't anyway, even if you wanted to.

And, if it's any consolation, in college history I had to read some of the works of Martin Luther in a class on the reformation, and I decided he was a nutcase--seriously psychotic.

BTW--I do believe in the Real Presence (like lots of/most Anglicans), as well as the intercession of the saints.

I'm trying my best, and God and I talk about this every day, but, for now at least, I have to be who I am, too. I know this wouldn't make sense to a Catholic (nor should it), but the message that keeps coming through at the moment is that maybe God needs me to stay an Anglican, at least for now, because the Anglican church desperately needs devout people. Also, non-Catholics REALLY need someone to educate them on what the Catholic church ACTUALLY teaches, and they won't necessarily listen to or believe a Catholic. After all, I am a writer by profession. But, God and I are still talking about what he wants from me. God must have brought me to Phatmass almost by accident for SOME purpose.

I'm very complimented that you took so long to write your post so that it would be as clear as possible, and clear that you were not targeting me. That means a lot.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310617959' post='2267283']
God must have brought me to Phatmass almost by accident for SOME purpose.
[/quote]

True life! If I hadn't found Phatmass, I wouldn't be discerning so hard. In fact, I'd pry be hiding in a corning on the whole issue.
God has a plan for all of us. Sometimes it just takes a long long time for us to figure out what He has up His sleeve. :smile4:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310617959' post='2267283']
Don't worry, Lil Red. I don't want you to deny who you are--you couldn't anyway, even if you wanted to.

And, if it's any consolation, in college history I had to read some of the works of Martin Luther in a class on the reformation, and I decided he was a nutcase--seriously psychotic.

BTW--I do believe in the Real Presence (like lots of/most Anglicans), as well as the intercession of the saints.

I'm trying my best, and God and I talk about this every day, but, for now at least, I have to be who I am, too. I know this wouldn't make sense to a Catholic (nor should it), but the message that keeps coming through at the moment is that maybe God needs me to stay an Anglican, at least for now, because the Anglican church desperately needs devout people. Also, non-Catholics REALLY need someone to educate them on what the Catholic church ACTUALLY teaches, and they won't necessarily listen to or believe a Catholic. After all, I am a writer by profession. But, God and I are still talking about what he wants from me. God must have brought me to Phatmass almost by accident for SOME purpose.

I'm very complimented that you took so long to write your post so that it would be as clear as possible, and clear that you were not targeting me. That means a lot.
[/quote]
Iggy no one EVER better target you :)

One of the problems is that catholics use the term "protestant" as a generalized term to cover everyone who isn't catholic, and we really shouldn't because you can't compare Anglicans to the loonys down the glen. Its an oversight but if we wrote it out it we would have to list all the non-denom (non-denominationals) every time so we usually just say protestants (et. al.). This in not done as an insult but as catholic shorthand, just like saying we pray TO Mary, but what we actually mean we want Mary to intercede for us.